What's On The Radio - Solo Sailor in South Atlantic

Started by RadioRay, January 28, 2013, 06:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

I often monitor the Maritime Mobile Service Network on 14300USB.  Today, there were several sailors - not unusual - except these were not enjoying the latest drink in the Caribbean, they were in the SOUTH Atlantic, including "Jeanne/KC2IOV. She is SOLO skipper of s/v Nereida SOLO , non-stop around the world on her sailboat.  Current position is between Cape Horn and the Cape of Good hope.  Picture yourself being halfway between the extreme southern tip of South America and South Africa on a boat alone - by choice.  She had to adjust her goals from a previous attempt at non-stop, solo circumnavigation when her boat/home was knocked down WEST of Cape Horn, causing extensive damage, then had to sail into the south Atlantic ANYWAY to Ushuaia, Argentina for anything even remotely like a repair. I'm telling you, she must be tougher than woodpecker lips!

>>>=====> I plan to listen tomorrow. I also heard her on an inter-boat radio sked in the marine bands.

http://www.winlink.org/dotnet/maps/PositionReportsDetail.aspx?callsign=KC2IOV

How was YOUR commute today?   ha ha  I've had some really lousy drives in Los Angeles or D.C. area, but was never rolled over by monster waves like she was . . . It's a BIG world out there and radio helps us to learn more.  Now that I'm limited to being an arm-chair sailor, this is a REAL thrill for me.

>de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KC9TNH

Thanks Ray! I hawk MMSN as well & have been following Jeanne. I must say, compared to what she's gone through on her quest, someone who didn't want to get out tomorrow for the FYBO QRP event would be a whiner.

Oh. Wait. That would be me, since it's gonna be -30?F outside. Might pass & head up to the ridge next weekend instead. I'll be toughing it out in my slippers & polar fleece with some hot-java listening to 20m CW.   ;)

But that gal has some sand.  Thanks for the update.
8)