Does it seem like everyone is still in shock?

Started by White Tiger, November 17, 2012, 02:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Tiger

Regarding the HF/Ten Tec - I'm looking again at stealth antennas - probably going with one of these and a a tuner...but Im keeping the dipoles...call it emergency, or outfitting for the BOL...I think they're the simplest & best for an SHTF environment.

As for WINMOR - that looks a LOT like regular old email to me!

It has helped distract me from the "humming"...
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

KC5OTL

I have packet and have thought about using that for private communications between the daughter am my wife & I.

The problem is, the PTB can still monitor packet and any other digital format.

As the PTB have a data base referencing your call sign to your home address, those using digital texting via HAM radio will still be monitored and found out.

And if you are using HAM bands, you still need a license and so, you are exposing your messaging and physical location to those would WILL come to harm you.

I really don't think there will be any safe mode of communications, once the SHTF.

In fact, I speculate that, once the SHTF, any kind of transmitting device that enables private citizen-to citizen communications outside of cell phone and government controlled Internet will be banned and outlawed, making their use a criminal offence.

gil

What the difference between a Winlink message and a peer-to-peer one?

Gil.

White Tiger

Quote from: KC5OTL on November 18, 2012, 01:34:24 PM
I have packet and have thought about using that for private communications between the daughter am my wife & I.

The problem is, the PTB can still monitor packet and any other digital format.

As the PTB have a data base referencing your call sign to your home address, those using digital texting via HAM radio will still be monitored and found out.

And if you are using HAM bands, you still need a license and so, you are exposing your messaging and physical location to those would WILL come to harm you.

I really don't think there will be any safe mode of communications, once the SHTF.

In fact, I speculate that, once the SHTF, any kind of transmitting device that enables private citizen-to citizen communications outside of cell phone and government controlled Internet will be banned and outlawed, making their use a criminal offence.

Thank you for returning us to the topic at hand!

My inner Eee-Orr identifies & agrees with you - which brings us back to morse code...even though the NSA is flying drones in current war zones, copying ALL communication formats...there is one thing that they cannot decipher...and my friend Luck WA4STO introduced me to the concept: bad code cannot be deciphered!

So, I'm hoping I develop a desire to learn code - because I don't yet have it - but until then, I'm going to invest in a code reader and see if I can pick up a way to break it down and begin to copy my own.

More than one way to skin a cat.

RadioRay

In the movie "Independence Day" those were no-code aliens.

de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

RadioRay

Peer-2-peer  goes directly between hams.

a WINLINK message goes into the WINLINK system for auto-forwarding. Via internet, it will route to the stations where the ham usually picks-up his radio e-mail, or to the 'normal e-mail address of a non-ham.

It is very common for hams to have a couple of WINMOR (or winlink) stations between them where they can send/receive messages for each other, not requiring internet, by using those intermediary stations as a BBS/Mail Box. There is also provision for BULLETINS which is quite handy during disasters.

de RadioRay ..._ ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KC9TNH

Quote from: RadioRay on November 18, 2012, 03:59:20 PM

de RadioRay ..._ ._
C-130, F-5, F-16 and F-18 Hornet all caught on the same ramp. Don't you love "joint-ness?" Well played, sir.
;D

My $.02 adjusted for the drachma is that we should not lose sight of the fact that we may be inadvertently mentally prepping for one thing to the exclusion of all else. Prep, in general, will support many scenarios. If you're already there, then by all means take an "any & all" approach.

Otherwise it might be wise to take the elephant in manageable bites. With some deep soul searching and honest-to-goodness research answer these:

• What is the most credible man-made/instigated threat to me & mine?

• What is the most credible natural event that is a threat to me & mine?
:)

KC5OTL

Quote from: KC9TNH on November 18, 2012, 06:52:54 PM

Man made event: terrorist attack, EMP attack, U.S. government going totally rogue, home invasion, economic collapse, nuclear accident.

Natural event: tornado, earth quake, coronal mass ejection.

These are only some.  There are others that could be either man made or natural, one such being fire.

One event that greatly concerns me, an area where I have worked for the past 20 years is the food processing industry.  In every case, they have large storage facilities of Anhidrus Amonia - on the order of half a million to a million pounds.  While this type of event would be localized, there would be no escape for many residents within a 5 to 10 mile radius.

There are thousands of threats to our safety that could constitute serious and life threatening scenarios.  These are threats that we should all be mindful of.  Regarding a nuclear or amonia incident, moving out of the area before the by-products migrate to your location is paramount.

Situational awareness is your best friend when living in an industrialized area.

White Tiger

Quote from: RadioRay on November 18, 2012, 03:59:20 PM

de RadioRay ..._ ._

And we must then perfect bad code...because, someone might be listening, but not everyone can decipher bad code!

gil

I use another tactic: Slow-as-molasses code, which is easily decodable, but nobody has the patience to do so. Well, except Ray sometimes, I don't know how he does it...

Gil.

White Tiger

Quote from: KC9TNH on November 18, 2012, 06:52:54 PM

Excellent decision tree, starting point.

In my case, I began with the idea of prepping for a natural disaster ( been through several of the same types in Florida over the past 30 years)...

My credible man made instigation - caused me to actually start prepping.

The global economic melt down isn't on the horizon, it already started. Like an explosion going off, you may not know when it happened - but when the whistling stops ringing in your ears, and you start to feel your head throbbing, you instantly know two things:

1) You lived through it.

2) Your life will never be the same.

We're in the 5th straight year of the highest unemployment, for the longest sustained period, of any time during my life. At this exact moment we also have the highest public debt load ever in my life, and at least 15 quarters of the most erratic/volatile stock/commodity market valuation in my life.

...more people are retiring than at any time in our history, and they're about to be supported (for the first time in my life) by fewer workers than there are retirees...

Food is skyrocketing, credit is tight, rent is through the roof, and we have the most folks on food stamps in the HISTORY of the program...

You aren't heading for the cliff...you passed the cliff...quite a while ago. The printing of dollars aren't padding our fall, they're extending our drop. That means they're cranking up those presses to give folks more time...take advantage of the time...don't wait for relief, the cavalry was way-layed, "help" ain't what they're planning - COG is what now occupies the minds of the central planners (Continuity Of Government): "How does government survive the worst-case-scenario, then how does it reassert control if/after that happens..."

Unless you're sitting on piles-o-cash, or piles of food/guns/ammo and have access to a lot of water - you'd better start doing what uncle Sam's been doing (...while he distracts you with CFB/NFL/NASCAR/MLB/World Cup/Kardashians (etc.,) on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Thursday's...to take your mind off of the heaviness of reality...)...

...prepping!

...buy food first - find water, then the means to protect both...you're already here, so hopefully that means you have comm's-as-prepps, figured out!

F-O-O-O-D...

KC9TNH

Quote from: KC5OTL on November 18, 2012, 07:53:53 PM
One event that greatly concerns me, an area where I have worked for the past 20 years is the food processing industry.  In every case, they have large storage facilities of Anhidrus Amonia - on the order of half a million to a million pounds.  While this type of event would be localized, there would be no escape for many residents within a 5 to 10 mile radius.
I think that's a phenomenally good example of a specific event which can lead to questions of shelter-in?/evac? And for each a branch from there... etc. What would be available from response (alot less than you think) and what do you need?

Slow-as-molasses code works fine as long as the within-character intervals are reasonable. (Otherwise it's t  e  t  t  e  t  e  t  t  t  t  e.....)

For those who simply would like to toss in the towel.
QuoteN0D: A Special Event Station celebrating The End of the world!

That's right! The end is finally near. According to one of the three Mayan Calendars, the End of the world will occur on December 21, 2012. To celebrate this?literally?once in a lifetime event, Special Event Station N0D (Now Zero Days) will be activated for three days during and possibly after the end of the world. December 20; is a celebration of the end of the world. December 21, the day of destruction, we will be on the air as long as possible. December 22...that is a little iffy right now.

dit dit

RadioRay

N0D -  That's funny!  I am designing a WAS  certificate (Worked All Survivors) for post event contesting...

---

As for the Decision tree:

1.  Financial collapse:   We are already in 'it', but it's a train wreck in SUCH slow motion that we're not in shock and even worse, most people are not perceiving the magnitude of the downward motion of the economy -v- the upward surge of inflation from the banker bail-outs. The welfare State is a ticking time-bomb, which I believe will be used as shock troops to take down most of any resistance, before it's time for the gummit to mop-up those who are left.  It's a Win/Win for tyrants: two birds/one stone.

Have the government threaten entitlements, the media whip-up a crowd with reporting of events - real or contrived and the usual suspects will hit the streets as they shift into high level crime/low level warfare against those who are still functioning [that's us]. This 'war' would eliminate the non-productive burden and greatly thin any potential resistance forces by having the mob and the resistance fight each other to the bitter end, then the paid troops slide-in to kill/control what remains.  Ordo Ab Chao [Order out of Chaos] . It's an old game and well practiced.  Ask the Polish Resistance during WW II why the USSR told them to rise-up! , then the Soviet troops were held back until both Nazis and Poles were almost completely fought out, and THEN the Red Army moved in to kill/enslave what remained of all sides. Joe Stalin did this in many places and I would believe that so will these guys, given the chance. The reporters will be gushing out praise of how the politicians liberated us. "History" will be written by those who remain victorious. This is why history will convince you that good people never lost a war. . . because good or bad, those defeated are NOT allowed to write the history, so that even the most evil tyrants look like perfumed princes in their own 'history'. [but I digress...]

2. Natural Disaster:  We were (fortunately) on the south/west side of Hurricane Sandy (Thank God) and so had a little less wind.  The effect of the storm surge was negated by these same winds blowing water OUT of th Chesapeake Bay in my region, making what remained of the surge more like a very high tide, rather than a Hurricane surge. We can deal with four feet of extra tide.

Fortunately, the best thing that I can do in this mortal life is also a bit of fun with more home 'mini-farming' , perrenial food plants, laying hens, fishing and etc. The more that I can make this little house into a cornucopia of fruit, nut and garden production, the better.  There is no downside to these kind of preps, because if you over do it - you eat your mistakes and share with neighbors and recycle the surplus through the hens and compost pile.

It's just good home-economics: Shelter, water, fire and the last 0.01& is the ability to defend your shelter, water & fire.

de RadioRay ..._ ._

White Tiger

Quote from: RadioRay on November 20, 2012, 10:46:03 AM
N0D -  That's funny!  I am designing a WAS  certificate (Worked All Survivors) for post event contesting...

---

As for the Decision tree:

1.  Financial collapse:   We are already in 'it', but it's a train wreck in SUCH slow motion that we're not in shock and even worse, most people are not perceiving the magnitude of the downward motion of the economy -v- the upward surge of inflation from the banker bail-outs. The welfare State is a ticking time-bomb, which I believe will be used as shock troops to take down most of any resistance, before it's time for the gummit to mop-up those who are left.  It's a Win/Win for tyrants: two birds/one stone.

Have the government threaten entitlements, the media whip-up a crowd with reporting of events - real or contrived and the usual suspects will hit the streets as they shift into high level crime/low level warfare against those who are still functioning [that's us]. This 'war' would eliminate the non-productive burden and greatly thin any potential resistance forces by having the mob and the resistance fight each other to the bitter end, then the paid troops slide-in to kill/control what remains.  Ordo Ab Chao [Order out of Chaos] . It's an old game and well practiced.  Ask the Polish Resistance during WW II why the USSR told them to rise-up! , then the Soviet troops were held back until both Nazis and Poles were almost completely fought out, and THEN the Red Army moved in to kill/enslave what remained of all sides. Joe Stalin did this in many places and I would believe that so will these guys, given the chance. The reporters will be gushing out praise of how the politicians liberated us. "History" will be written by those who remain victorious. This is why hostory will convince you that good people never lost a war. . . because good or bad, loosers are NOT allowed to write the history, so even the most evil tyrants look like perfumed princes in their own 'history'. [but I digress...]

2. Natural Disaster:  We were (fortunately) on the south/west side of Hurricane Sandy (Thank God) and so had a little less wind.  The effect of the storm surge was negated by these same winds blowing water OUT of th Chesapeake Bay in my region, making what remained of the surge more like a very high tide, rather than a Hurricane surge. We can deal with four feet of extra tide.

Fortunately, the best thing that I can do in this mortal life is also a bit of fun with more home 'mini-farming' , perrenial food plants, laying hens, fishing and etc. The more that I can make this little house into a cornucopia of fruit, nut and garden production, the better.  There is no downside to these kind of preps, because if you over do it - you eat your mistakes and share with neighbors and recycle the surplus through the hens and compost pile.

It's just good home-economics: Shelter, water, fire and the last 0.01& is the ability to defend your shelter, water & fire.

de RadioRay ..._ ._

Excellent post - QFT

KC9TNH

Quote from: RadioRay on November 20, 2012, 10:46:03 AMI am designing a WAS  certificate (Worked All Survivors) for post event contesting...

LMAO. Another cup of coffee saved in the nick o' time.
;D