Bugout and Radio Vehicle?

Started by gil, November 05, 2012, 09:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

cockpitbob

Too much fuel and specialized parts for me.  If this were 25 years ago I'd be saying I wanted an air cooled beetle.  10 years ago I would say I wanted a Toyota pickup.  But today I'm not sure.  When the SHTF dust settles and there's nothing left but cockroaches, AKs and zombies, what's the vehicle that will still be running?

raybiker73

I actually saw this addressed not long ago. Guns & Ammo magazine did a special issue called "Zombie Nation," which was a combination of serious gear reviews and tongue-in-cheek zombie fighting tips. The issue included an article about the best survival vehicle, and they decided it was the 1973 Land Rover III-109: EMP proof, fuel efficient, hand-crank starter, power take-off, and it can be completely disassembled and reassembled using only the included tool kit.

I've wanted an old Landy for years, and if I ever find one in my price range, I'll be a happy guy.

cockpitbob

I've also always wanted an old Land Rover.  But I've always wondered how reliable those British things are.  In my youth I had an MG-B and the only good thing I can say about that car is that it turnd me into a mechanic.  It was a classic British car in the sense that it would break on Wednesday.  I would fix it all day Saturday and drive it all day Sunday because it was so much fun.  Then it would break on Wednesday and the cycle would repeat.

raybiker73

From what I've read (which may or may not be crap), as long as you get something post-1970 or so it should be OK. Before that you could find finicky fit and finish, weird 6 volt positive-ground electricals, etc. Most of the 1970-forward Land Rovers were pretty reliable.

gil

One good thing about the Land Rovers is that the body doesn't rust. I also like the old Toyota Land Cruiser. I used to own one but had to sell it before finishing the project. The Unimog is also a great truck. The FJ-40 though is probably the toughest for the money. The one in the photo below I got for $1500, and it ran! I should have kept it...

Gil.

White Tiger

Quote from: gil on November 05, 2012, 09:55:25 PM
That's what I'd like to get!

Gil.

Saw an old Duece on an episode of American Preppers - they were using it in just this capacity - EMP proof and runs on everything from restaurant grease to used motor oil. They said it actually seemed to run best on used motor oil - they had outfitted it with a large container inside the truck box (near the bulk-head), and a small pump that they used to siphon the tanks of a couple of local quick-stop type oil change locations...boom, winning...

Unfortunately they only come to the public thru military auction, and they have become so popular that they're rare...

So...while I don't share anyone's affinity for the old Landrover...I do have this ongoing love affair with the Jeep CJ-7 (the 258 cubic inch/4.2 liter, in-line 6)...that and that really ugly Willys...never owned either of them, and friends who have say that's why I'm still in love with 'em...
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

raybiker73

Much love to old Jeeps, I've had a few. That 258 straight-6 was the most bulletproof engine I've ever seen. I once had a '78 Cherokee with a 258 that the rear seal had gone out of. Every once in a while, the passenger compartment would fill up with smoke and you'd have to roll down the windows, but just dump in another quart of straight 30W and keep on going. The body eventually rotted right off the frame, but that engine never quit. Tons of torque, too. Put it in 4L and you could probably climb a tree with it.

gil

I was about 21yo there. That was my car for a while..

Gil.

White Tiger

Yeah, that '78 Cherokee was a dream vehicle!

I've had a couple cars where I topped off the oil each time I filled up the tank (350 cubic inch Chevelle comes to mind...talk about an engine you couldn't kill), and was just happy to get to the other side of a paycheck in order to fill up the tank each week!

...but no kiddin' that CJ-7 was IT..

Already told the Frau/XYL - as soon as we find a BOL...I'm parkin' the jeep in the pole barn!

WA4STO

Quote from: White Tiger on November 06, 2012, 02:42:59 AM

...but no kiddin' that CJ-7 was IT..

Heh, back in my hippie daze (hmmm, last month or 1970s?) I bought a brand new CJ-7.  Red with the first of MANY black tops.  I made several mistakes with it.  First I ordered the 4 speed.  Miserable, painful, you'll - never - get - it - in 1st -gear 4 speed.  Second, since it came from the factory with NO top whatsoever in 1977, I opted for that cussed soft top and the soft doors.  Ugh!

Ah, but it had a roll bar.  I can't begin to imagine how many CBs and 2 meter rigs I had mounted under that roll bar.

One day, we'd just had a wicked snow storm the night before.  My (first) wife had JUST left our baby daughter off with her sister, pulled back out onto the mountain road, got to the first corner and there was the (only) local snow plow guy coming round the corner.  Blam!  She jams both pedals to the floor and the CJ-7 slid sideways right into the blade of the plow. 

The doors, as you may recall, were soft.  The blade butter-knifed its way all the way in and came to rest against the 4-speed shift.

Wife went to Front Royal hospital in traction, daughter continued to giggle her morning away, and life in Fort Valley Virginia continued on.

That CJ-7 hauled way too many cords of wood out of the George Washington National Forest; the 258 six never complained.

73 de Luck, WA4STO

White Tiger

Wow! Some story!

That the wife made it TO traction is amazing!

And you mean the CJ hauled wood out after that experience?

...wow!

WA4STO

Quote from: White Tiger on November 06, 2012, 03:57:03 PM

And you mean the CJ hauled wood out after that experience?

...wow!

Yah, tons of it.

But therein lies another story of possible interest.

By 1980, I had cut and hauled about all I could get from that mountain trail.  Beginning to get nervous in the summer of '80 about where I was gonna have to go to get more for the following winter. See, the National Forest Service only lets you have what's dead or down.  It's not like I could cut fresh meat.

One day, I was piddlin' around the shack and I got into conversation with a fellow who was coming into Fort Valley from his home in D.C. on 2 meters.  I mean, there were ZERO hams up there so anybody coming through was of interest.

Turns out, he owned property up there, about a mile from my cabin.  So we're gabbin' away and he mentions the property (some 300 acres, all wooded) and sez that he'd really love it if I'd clear the rut leading in to his property so his "guests" could get in more easily.

Of course, I jumped at the idea and told him I'd be up there the following weekend.  It was summer.  He then said something along the lines of "uh, maybe you wanna be getting your wood during the week; that way you won't be bothering the guests with the chainsaw and ... uh ... your clothing."   

Yup, they were nudists.  As it turns out, D.C. has a bajillion of them.  I mean, I always understood that the Emperor had no clothes, but half of D.C?  Sheesh.

Sure pulled a lot of wood out of there.  No pictures, though; sorry.

White Tiger

See Luck, some things ARE taken on faith...even if there aren't articles of proof... ;)

I believe you about the nudists - but maybe not so much about the picture part...maybe some Senator's...uh...son... (Or daughter) got too close and that's why you're now in Nebraska...

(...btw - there any trees in Nebraska?)