Bugout and Radio Vehicle?

Started by gil, November 05, 2012, 09:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC9TNH

I thought once I'd like to have an M-37 with an S-89 shelter. The truck would go anywhere (familiarity breeds... ah whatever). Unfortunately, humans were ancillary to the purpose of the design. More practical actually for that role would be something along the lines of an M715 in ambulance config. And in a real situation, the fact is a dependable vehicle on which one can perform much of the maintenance themselves and acquire parts in general circulation would be a choice for me.

RadioRay

Until 2007 when I moved aboard my little sailboat, these were my ride in the garage area at work. Oh - and these models are automonous >>> Not a Standard Stryker. 

I remember reading on one survival board the question of how to get home from work in an SHTF situation.  With what we had at work - everyone was going home with no troubles at all. Nothing outside of military anti-armor weapons inventory as going to stop these.

These days - I'm an ageing ex-engineer who pretty-much either drives a little Toyota or trys to walk . . .

It was fun while it lasted.
de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

White Tiger

Yes, that would have been a blast!

Now you're just like the rest of us plebeians!
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

White Tiger

Quote from: KC9TNH on November 07, 2012, 07:36:13 AM
I thought once I'd like to have an M-37 with an S-89 shelter. The truck would go anywhere (familiarity breeds... ah whatever). Unfortunately, humans were ancillary to the purpose of the design. More practical actually for that role would be something along the lines of an M715 in ambulance config. And in a real situation, the fact is a dependable vehicle on which one can perform much of the maintenance themselves and acquire parts in general circulation would be a choice for me.

When I was young - this is the vehicle that always made the most sense to me...like an RV, with an emergency room attached!

Cool pic!

Jim Boswell

Years ago I went deer hunting with a vietnamise friend, as I set-up my camp he got on an old bicycle with his rifle and backpack and peddled off. The next day he returned to camp walking with the bicycle, a nice deer was field dressed and spread the length of the bike, tied in place.
If you think about it, a bike mounted radio set-up would work great. At least for recon missions and the bike is almost silent too. Something to think about considering the shortage of gas.
Take Care, 73'S  KA5SIW

raybiker73

Another thing that would be great is a multifuel motorcycle. HDT makes one that runs on anything from biodiesel to JP-8. Unfortunately, the civilian price for this little dual-sport is close to $20k  :(. Motorcycles are still something worth considering, though, especially if you have an old bike that would be largely EMP proof. An EMP would fry the bike in my driveway, but I've got a 40-year-old Honda CB500 in the shed that would still kick right over, at least until all the gas ran out.

Especially for somebody who plans to go mobile and solo, two wheels would be a very tempting prospect.

White Tiger

Quote from: Jim Boswell on November 08, 2012, 06:10:23 PM
Years ago I went deer hunting with a vietnamise friend, as I set-up my camp he got on an old bicycle with his rifle and backpack and peddled off. The next day he returned to camp walking with the bicycle, a nice deer was field dressed and spread the length of the bike, tied in place.
If you think about it, a bike mounted radio set-up would work great. At least for recon missions and the bike is almost silent too. Something to think about considering the shortage of gas.
Take Care, 73'S  KA5SIW

Hard to hide a radio on a bike...even harder to hide behind a bike ;)

Actually, you make a good point for mobile operations around a wooded/mountainous region, especially within range of an NVIS antenna at a base-camp/FOP.

gil

I used to have a Honda 600XL. That bike could go anywhere! Then someone cut me off and I landed almost 40ft beyond the car. Now I trigger metal detectors  ::)

Gil.

Notice the fashionable welding gloves!

KC9TNH

Quote from: gil on November 08, 2012, 10:46:32 PMNotice the fashionable welding gloves!
Nice!  Used the same back in the day. I still like your earlier Jeep. You know, the one that would really get up some narrow trails, before the lawyers tried to idiot-proof it by changing its overall conformation. Eminently useable for 1 guy/gal, with stuff.

(Arms-room quality padlocks, chains & locking gas caps, folks.)
;)

gil

I wish the M151A2 wasn't so rare...

Lamewolf

Quote from: cockpitbob on November 05, 2012, 10:25:25 PM
Too much fuel and specialized parts for me.  If this were 25 years ago I'd be saying I wanted an air cooled beetle.  10 years ago I would say I wanted a Toyota pickup.  But today I'm not sure.  When the SHTF dust settles and there's nothing left but cockroaches, AKs and zombies, what's the vehicle that will still be running?

A bycycle !