Baofeng UV-5R: Good disposable radio to add to gear?

Started by piggybankcowboy, August 21, 2012, 11:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Yes, performance and features, that's what I wondered...

Gil.

White Tiger

WOW - just got my Baofeng UV-3R...dropped the battery in, plugged in the ear-piece and mic, hit the "On" switch, tuned it to 146.350 - and immediately heard a conversation - so I'm pretty impressed!!

It's slick, does look a bit like a little toy, but from what I've read, so do ALL of the micro-sized dual banders...

I didn't have time to play with it extensively tonight - but I'm GEEKED about tomorrow!

Maybe I'll try bouncing a signal off of a local repeater down to Gil tomorrow?!
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

gil

Tim, try to call me on the 146.640 repeater. No tone.

Gil.

gil

Also, see if you can hit the Verna repeater 145.430, 100Hz PL tone. You might have to climb on your roof for that one  ;)

Gil.

White Tiger

I'll will absolutely try tomorrow! I'm voting early...then an appointment...So it will be sometime after 10:00am.

That ok with you?

gil

White Tiger

Quote from: gil on November 06, 2012, 12:47:37 AM
After 11.. Text me before, we'll try..

Gil.

DEAL!

We'll see how good this thing REALLY is!

White Tiger

Sorry We couldn't connect today Gil, I'm not quite checked out on this little unit yet!

How about I do my homework and read the instruction manual - and we try again?

KC9TNH

Quote from: gil on November 05, 2012, 06:31:53 PM
QuoteThey're about 2x a Baofeng lately from what I see.

Could you please elaborate on that? Thanks.

Gil.
Sorry gil; left that a bit unclear didn't I?  Yessir, was referring to cost.
:)

gil

White Tiger

Found this interesting website dedicated to what has become a very popular little HT - the UV-5R:

http://miklor-uv5r.99k.org/

kr4yd

as to the transmitting on NOOA freqs. If you progam NOOA into channel with software and take freq out off the transmit column, then it will not transmit in channel mode, or so mine works that way.

Frosty

Never xmit on NOAA channels, without preceding the message with a 10 second 1050hz tone ;)

Edited to add: welcome kr4yd.  No offense meant in my reply, didn't realize it was your first post.

kr4yd

Quote from: Mitch on September 11, 2012, 11:40:17 AM
I ordered one up from Amazon last week for $55 primarily so I could have a radio for camping that I wouldn't be heartbroken over if it fell in the lake. I am still  in the process of learning my way around it.

Overall I feel it's an excellent value for what you get (good useable battery, drop in charger, tranceiver, basic headset, belt clip, and passable duckie antenna). However-There are some specific "scary" things about this radio you should be aware of. The major issue is this radio is a bit too frequency agile!

1. You want to play radio with other FRS radios? The UV-5R will do it on all frequencies! Problem- This unit isn't type accepted as an FRS radio, has a removable antenna, and the low power setting is still 1W (FRS is supposed to be <500 mW). You might be able to explain this away if you hold a GRMS license.

2. You want to play radio with others on GRMS frequencies? The UV-5R will do it on all frequencies! Problem- The unit isn't type accepted (I'm not really sure this is a problem yet because reading through the code of federal regulations isn't easy to do...) and for the new prepper who may not realize it another license is required to use the GRMS frequencies not shared with FRS. GRMS licensing is easier but a bit more expensive ($85 instead of $15 and no test).

3. You want to listen to NOAA weather broadcasts on 2M while out and about? The UV-5R does that on all frequencies! Problem- This unit can actually transmit on those frequencies!  ??? It's also very easy to accidentally hit the PTT button... Be very careful with this!

4. You want to play radio with others on the business bands? The UV-5R will do it on most if not all of those frequencies! I'm really no expert in this field but I know extra licenses are required. Much more trial and error research required in this area.

5. I haven't checked at all yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if this little magic black box was hot on the MARS frequencies... I'll have to look later.

TL;DR- This seems to be the perfect hand held radio for a prepper! Just be careful with your new toy after you get your HAM ticket and play radio! Buy a double sided SMA adapter to hook it to other antennas.

As for the NOOA transmit possibility. If you use the PC software to program and leave the transmit frequency empty it will not transmit on that channel.

tinker

Just catching up on my reading and felt that I must post on this thread.
When a memory is used for receive only on a fully capable transceiver such as this, either a transmit inhibit (by removing the frequency in the transmit column by software as already mentioned) or manually creating a suitable offset (or split) so that if the PTT is activated by accident, you are only transmitting where you are authorized.
This technique has saved my six many times because I often monitor public service (police, fire, ambulance, coast guard, railroad, etc.) and you NEVER want to transmit in those areas unless you are authorized.
The same technique is used for my 'E' class gear (FT-1807E and FT-8800E) as well to protect me  against causing serious interference because rigs are much higher power.
Cheers.