IC-735 QRP Radio

Started by KK0G, September 24, 2013, 09:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK0G

While I have my TS-2000 tore apart on my bench waiting for parts to arrive so I can replace the burnt out display bulbs, for old times sake I placed my old Icom IC-735 in the main operating position normally occupied by the Kenwood (although I've been using my KX1 as my go to rig for several months now). Even turning the RF gain control down to minimum it still wouldn't reach QRP levels, 12 watts was as low as it would go.......... so I "fixed" it 8) .

Turns out there are separate internal high and low adjustment pots on the main PCB. Now it transmits 4 watts minimum and 40 watts maximum. I suppose I could have left the high power setting alone but it was just begging to be reduced also and if I ever want full power again it's only a twist of a screwdriver away.

This old pig still sucks current like it's going out of style even on receive, and it has no narrow CW filter so it's wide as a barn door but it's still fun to play with.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

cockpitbob

Quote from: KK0G on September 24, 2013, 09:33:05 PM
... it still wouldn't reach QRP levels, 12 watts was as low as it would go.......... so I "fixed" it 8) .
...    Now it transmits 4 watts minimum and 40 watts maximum.
Took a 100W radio and made it a 40W radio :o .  I understand the QRP bug as I have it myself, but with all due respect...Bwaaaa haaaaa haaaa

Archangel320420

Oh sure. Now how do I know if you are running 2 watts or 4 watts or that 40 mega watts QRO on 7.037 Mhz, Huh? Huh?

gil

My KX3 outputs 12W, and I use that.. Still consider it QRP. Well, upper limit QRP, so to speak.. For me QRP is more related to ultra-portable than any power level. Of course if I was out in the woods, I'd turn it down to 5W to save batteries, but with my little Astron power supply, there is no need.. I kind of consider six power levels:

• 5W or less: Camp radio output for battery saving.
  • 5W to less than 20W: Semi-QRP, mid-size radios, used at home (i.e. KX3).
  • 20W to 50W: Very few radios in that range for some reason..
  • 50+W to 100W: QRO. rarely needed, if ever.
  • 100W to 500W: Compensating for insecurities.
  • 500W to 1500W: Small weener.

Gil.

KC3AOL

One of the things I have come to realize it's that if I NEED tons of power to reach someone, then they also need tons of power to respond. Since the vast majority of people don't have huge power radios (>100W), then there is very little point in having one myself.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on September 24, 2013, 09:33:05 PMThis old pig still sucks current like it's going out of style even on receive, and it has no narrow CW filter so it's wide as a barn door but it's still fun to play with.
I found that when I documented current draw on my 450, 100 down to 5.  Reduction in draw extremely NON-linear because there is so much else going on in that radio.

Frankly the other night when you were using 12w you hammered me so I thought you were using the Kenwood. Antenna, antenna, antenna... ;D

gil

QuoteAntenna, antenna, antenna...

Yep, many operators think they are using 100W when in fact only a fraction of that gets radiated out. Of course they still make contact, even if they have 10W radiated, but they could use less current and a smaller radio with a full length resonant antenna and no tuner..
That is especially the case with compromise antennas, like my Buddistick. Though I have to say it works fine, but not much comes out of that short whip when only a few Watts go in to start with. My 40ft. end-fed however is another story. I know for sure most of the power I put in does come out.
Even very inefficient antennas like the Miracle Whip are said to work, but you end up being QRPP..

Gil.

WA4STO

How interesting that the topic of the IC-735 came to the forefront just today as I was eyeballing one on Ebay.  Not to mention the eham reviews, which I continue to be astounded by...

I've had a long history with Icom (Ten-Tecs prior to that) and I'm considering some combination of 'collecting' them and reselling them. 

Vee shall see vot vee shall see!

Luck, WA4STO

KK0G

Quote from: WA4STO on September 25, 2013, 06:33:18 PM
How interesting that the topic of the IC-735 came to the forefront just today as I was eyeballing one on Ebay.  Not to mention the eham reviews, which I continue to be astounded by...

I've had a long history with Icom (Ten-Tecs prior to that) and I'm considering some combination of 'collecting' them and reselling them. 

Vee shall see vot vee shall see!

Luck, WA4STO

Hmm, make me an offer. I'll even "modify" it to transmit at 100 watts 8)
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G