3.818MHz Net on Sunday nights

Started by StoneyHill, November 18, 2012, 03:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StoneyHill

Does anyone on this board participate in the 3.818 MHz LSB net on Sunday nights at 9PM?

There are a few websites out there with emergency prepper plans that specific that frequency as a prepper frequency.  I understand that there is a net on Sunday nights.  I am not quite on the air yet, but I was wondering how much participation they had.

Anyone?

StoneyHill

This is their posted Net procedure:

Net Preamble
Here is the APRN Preamble if anyone needs it. This is just a guide to go by, if you run a net feel free to customize this for your net.

CQ CQ CQ This is __your call sign__. Calling The American Preparedness Radio Net. My name is ?Your name?and I will be your net control this evening

Our net meets regularly every ? Sunday ?? night at 9PM Eastern time on this frequency.

All general class or higher amateur radio operators are invited to participate.

While this net has been established as a fellowship net, the primary purpose for the net is to promote self-reliance and preparedness in all aspects of modern life. The goal of the American Preparedness Radio Net is to share & disseminate information that can help everyone achieve individual independence, & self-reliance. For additional information about The American Preparedness Radio Net we invite you to visit the Net?s Home Page on the Internet at www.taprn.com again that is www dot Tango Alpha Papa Romeo November dot com

This net may be superseded by emergency traffic during times of a disaster.

[Announce the topic for the net here]

Are there any stations with traffic, bulletins, or announcements? Please give your call-sign slowly and phonetically. Please state the nature of your traffic. Please direct replies to ?Your Call ?- Your net control station

[Log and identify calling stations as necessary, prioritize the order of any Traffic, Bulletins or Announcements as you see fit and ask if they will be here for the rag chew portion of the net. It is Recommended that all Traffic, Announcements or Bulletins be handled at the beginning of the Rag Chew Portion of the net when all the check-ins have come on so everyone hears them ]

We will now move into the formal portion of our net, this is a directed net. When checking in please give your call-sign phonetically. List if you have any informal traffic . Please direct all comments to ?Your Call ? Your net control station

Any short Time, mobile, or QRP stations please call now

[Log all contacts and thank them for checking in.]

We will now take all other check-ins. When checking in please give your call-sign phonetically. List if you have any informal traffic and if you will remain on frequency for the rag chew portion of the net. Please direct all comments to ?Your Call ? Your net control station

Any stations not wishing to stay for the rag chew portion of the net we would like to thank you for checking into the net and please remember to visit our Internet presence at www dot Tango Alpha Papa Romeo November dot com. We will now open the informal portion of our net.

[Call all stations one at a time in the order you set for priority when they checked in and ask for any comments they may have]

[Check for late checking stations at midpoint of rag chew and before closing.]

Before we conclude, are there any additional comments or business for the net?

If so please call now.

Check one last time for any late check-ins and log them and handle any questions or comments they have?

I want to thank everyone that has joined us tonight for making this net possible and we hope that you will go to www dot Tango Alpha Papa Romeo November dot com to keep up to date on the net schedules and information posted there.

I will now close this session of The American Preparedness Radio Net and return the frequency to regular amateur use. Thank you all for making this net possible.
73 to all ?Your Call ?

StoneyHill

I also found this:

Standardized Amateur Radio Prepper Communications Plan

About
In the event of a nationwide catastrophic disaster, the nationwide network of Amateur Radio licensed preppers will need a set of standardized meeting frequencies to share information and coordinate activities between various prepper groups. This Standardized Amateur Radio Communications Plan establishes a set of frequencies on the 80 meter, 40 meter, 20 meter, and 2 meter Amateur Radio bands for use during these types of catastrophic disasters.

Preppers are encouraged to monitor conventional Amateur Radio and non-Amateur Radio frequencies for sources of information, including: National Traffic System nets, state ARES/RACES HF nets, global Centers of Activity (CoA), local VHF/UHF repeaters, CB channel 19, and national simplex calling frequencies. However, these standardized frequencies and channels provide a place for preppers to meet and exchanges information relevant to those of a prepper mindset after a catastrophic disaster.

Routine nets will not be held on all of these frequencies, but preppers are encouraged to use them when coordinating with other preppers on a routine basis. Routine nets may be conducted by The American Preparedness Radio Net (TAPRN) on these or other frequencies as they see fit. However, TAPRN will promote the use of these standardized frequencies by all Amateur Radio licensed preppers during times of catastrophic disaster. The promotion of this Standardized Amateur Radio Communications Plan is encouraged by all means within the prepper community, including via Amateur Radio, Twitter, Facebook, and various blogs.

Standardized Frequencies and Modes
80 Meters ? 3.818 MHz LSB (TAPRN Net: Sundays at 9 PM ET)
40 Meters ? 7.242 MHz LSB
40 Meters Morse Code / Digital ? 7.073 MHz USB
20 Meters ? 14.242 MHz USB
20 Meters Morse Code / Digital ? 14.073 MHz USB
2 Meters ? 146.420 MHz FM
440 (70 cm) ? 446.420 MHz FM
FRS/GMRS - Channel 4 (462.6375 MHz)
CB - Channel 4 (27.005 MHz)
MURS - Channel 4 (154.570 MHz)

The communication of critical information using the AM mode is encouraged on the standard 80, 40, and 20 meter voice frequencies at the top of each hour so that those who do not have SSB capable receivers may obtain pertinent information using the AM mode.

Nets and Network Etiquette
In times of nationwide catastrophic disaster, the ability of any one prepper to initiate and sustain themselves as a net control may be limited by the availability of power and other resource shortages. However, all licensed preppers are encouraged to maintain a listening watch on these frequencies as often as possible during a catastrophic disaster. Preppers may routinely announce themselves in the following manner:
 This is [Your Callsign Phonetically] in [Your State], maintaining a listening watch on [Standard Frequency] for any preppers on frequency seeking information or looking to provide information. Please call [Your Callsign Phonetically].

Preppers exchanging information that may require follow up should agree upon a designated time to return to the frequency and provide further information. If other stations are utilizing the frequency at the designated time you return, maintain watch and proceed with your communications when those stations are finished. If your communications are urgent and the stations on frequency are not passing

myascape

I have a newbie question. What is a good handheld or mobile set to pick up 3.818?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

gil

QuoteI have a newbie question. What is a good handheld or mobile set to pick up 3.818?

There are no handhelds for 80m, that I know of, simply because the antenna is 135ft long... A good kit would be the Weber Survivor from qrpkits.com. It also depends if you want to do Morse code only or CW and SSB (voice). For the net I assume SSB. The MFJ-9475 is a good choice, cheap and works well.

In Europe you can't go above 3800kHz or 7200kHz, so a lot of nets are out of reach unfortunately... The VMARS net is on 3615 USB Wednesday nights (8pm UK time).

Gil.

cockpitbob

Quote from: myascape on September 02, 2017, 12:26:31 AM
I have a newbie question. What is a good handheld or mobile set to pick up 3.818?
If you are only interested in listening, get a short wave receiver with SSB.  There's tons to select from on Amazon for $75 - $150.  It seems hard to go wrong with a Tecsun or Sony.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_89_6?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A172623%2Cn%3A172681%2Ck%3Ashortwave+radio%2Cp_89%3ATecsun%7CSony&keywords=shortwave+radio&ie=UTF8&qid=1504365172&rnid=2528832011

I'm considering getting one.  If the SHTF, 95% of what we do will be listening.  These radios are small, draw very little current and would be a good backup.  If I had to buy today I would get either the Tecsun PL600 ($84) or the PL660 ($110) since it also has aircraft band.  These have a jack for an external antenna and come with a 25' wire antenna, though I would probably make an equivalent of the PAR Endfed SWL antenna (just a 9:1 UNUN and wire).

LWolken

The Kenwood TH-F6A will pick up 80 meters on the internal bar antenna however an external antenna is much better.

myascape

Quote from: LWolken on October 09, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

The Kenwood TH-F6A will pick up 80 meters on the internal bar antenna however an external antenna is much better.
They're sure proud of that unit! Did I really see them for $1500? I'm looking at the County Comm setup.

Quietguy

Quote from: myascape on October 09, 2017, 10:25:33 PM
They're sure proud of that unit! Did I really see them for $1500? I'm looking at the County Comm setup.

They have been discontinued but there is currently one on ebay for $200 Buy-It-Now.  I have had one for years and I like it, but I can't imagine anyone paying $1500 for one.  The CountyComm GP5-SSB is a nice little receiver, but the TH-F6A is a tri-band (2m/1.25m/70cm) handheld transceiver with wideband receive coverage - a completely different thing.

Wally

lc65

Yaesu VX- 7R - receives the HF bands. It is discontinued, but I believe the VX - 8R is similar. In addition it is water and shock proof. Also EXPENSIVE !
I have been picking up an AM station from Japan ( at least they are speaking Japanese - I am in Pennsylvania, USA ) on a regular basis. 5.86 MHz I believe.
BTW - is there a place to look up SW transmission information? That is a list of transmitters on the air.

Quietguy

Quote from: lc65 on November 14, 2017, 04:09:38 PMBTW - is there a place to look up SW transmission information? That is a list of transmitters on the air.

Several, one is http://www.short-wave.info/, which shows HLL Seoul Meteorological Radio (Korean, Japanese, English, Chinese) on 5858 kHz or R.FARDA in Persian on 5860 kHz.

There are also smart phone apps with schedules.

Wally

Sparks

Quote from: lc65 on November 14, 2017, 04:09:38 PM
BTW - is there a place to look up SW transmission information? That is a list of transmitters on the air.

There certainly is! I bought my very first edition of this outstanding book some 55 years ago:

http://www.wrth.com/  —  http://www.wrth.com/whatiswrth.html