How cool is this?

Started by K7JLJ, May 13, 2015, 10:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K7JLJ

A co-worker who is a 40+ yr HAM just brought this in after me telling him last night i was looking to go CW as a primary on HF and has been listening to me dit-dah him new letters I learn when I see him.

$20 is a pretty good deal I think, I'm still looking to buy an AME Porta Paddle, but this will keep me busy until a great deal on eBay comes up.

It's a Signal Electric MFR
-Jim

cockpitbob

Nice.  It looks like it's in good shape too.
  I've got a cheap straight key and I can see the difference.  My key's arm is thin and springy-drives me nuts.  Yours looks nice and rigid.

K7JLJ

It's in good shape. Except for the replacement base it looks all original and the tips are mint. 

I finally found a plug to rob in the shop and am now tapping my morse to the annoyance of my co-worker :)
-Jim

Jim Boswell

KG7OVN, great old key. I have about 24 old keys and those signal electric's are top shelf. Neat thing, when you hold one of those old keys you wonder what news those keys sent, both good news and bad news. The other day I bought one and there on the wood base were 8 or 10 call signs and the dates they used the key, all the way back into the 1930's. Talk about a real piece of history.
      Back in about 1967 my Father was selling insurance at the Western Union office in Sweetwater Texas. When my Dad told the guy about my interest in radio and electronics, the Western Union guy, reached into a drawer and handed my Father the last telegraph key from that office. A little piece of history I am still proud of.
      You can use some Never-Dull and those keys clean up and shine like a new penny. Use index cards to clean the contacts. Just lightly press down on the key as you hold the card between the contacts, then slide the card back in forth to remove oxidation from the contact surfaces. Talk about a real piece of living history, 73'S  KA5SIW Jim

K7JLJ

Cool story Jim, I can see how guys end up collecting hundreds of them :)

Thanks for the contact tip, I was wondering what to use.

Having an old timer give me my first key is cool IMO. 

I like the passing on part of that.  I like that he waited until he knew I was going to stick with it also.
-Jim