Meet Earl - Tablet - GPS - Radio

Started by madball13, May 14, 2013, 08:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madball13

Pretty cool endeavor. Seems like a steal for $250.

http://www.meetearl.com/

Geek

If it had 2m instead of FRS/GMRS it would be a lot more useful.  It does look like a nice concept however.

madball13

Quote from: Geek on May 14, 2013, 11:26:15 AM
If it had 2m instead of FRS/GMRS it would be a lot more useful.  It does look like a nice concept however.

Of course, but i don't think they had us in mind when they created it.

Geek

Probably not, but what you have is a smartphone with a radio built in for when you're out of cell range.  If you're that far out, then you need a radio with some range.  I like the idea, but think this falls just a tad short.  The mapping application sounds like it is the most developed component and I'd almost like to get that part of it independently.

RadioRay

I like the concept.  Also, if this actually goes into production, there might be interest generated in the ham community.  The build in AM, shortwave, FM receiver is a VERY good touch.  Most people carry a phone of some kind, so this combined instrument might be handy. If it's based o Droid or other OS, then you might be able to run FLdigi software on it for digital comms using both the internal transceiver and an external HF transceiver.

>de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KC9TNH

So $356 unless you get in on the ground floor. Including MURS, nice touch; if you're out on the back 40 when one of your sensors goes off no latency because you're not back at the house.

I suspect that if it's all that's planned, some people will be pushing the envelope in this area further and in a couple of years this will be, "Gen-1." Anyone remember the first "mobile" bricks, when the Star Trek Communicator (flip phone) was light-years away?

Thanks for sharing madball. :)

madball13

Quote from: KC9TNH on May 14, 2013, 08:59:07 PM
So $356 unless you get in on the ground floor. Including MURS, nice touch; if you're out on the back 40 when one of your sensors goes off no latency because you're not back at the house.

I suspect that if it's all that's planned, some people will be pushing the envelope in this area further and in a couple of years this will be, "Gen-1." Anyone remember the first "mobile" bricks, when the Star Trek Communicator (flip phone) was light-years away?

Thanks for sharing madball. :)

My pleasure.

I'm pretty familiar with the screen tech and its low power polymer tech. Each pixel is basically a switch either off, no color, or on showing the grayscale. Even with total loss of power the screen can still show the map when off. Just add a compass and you can navigate

I'm going to get on on the ground floor and check it out. I spent $250 for a Motorola Xoom and use it primarily for reading books. The Earl will do books and a whole lot more

gil

I would suggest anyone to wait until a few of those are actually being delivered before ordering...

Gil.

madball13

They got 100% funding in 2 weeks. I decided against paying now, Had to many questions and what ifs to lay cash down on.

I will be interested to see how the final product looks and works.