Ekecraft K1 Four-Band no Longer Available.

Started by gil, July 07, 2014, 02:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

It is with a certain sense of dread that I noticed that the K1 4-band module was no longer available. I was planning on buying another one since I regret selling mine, but it is now too late! http://www.elecraft.com/elecraft_prod_list.htm#k1

Elecraft must be missing some critical components and is now only selling the dual-band option. Is it still worth is for $299? Knowing how good the radio is, I would say yes. There is competition however with the KX1, the Weber Tri-Bander and PFR3. I would be very surprised if Elecraft redesigned the board. They sell enough KX3s and K3s to retire the K1 and K2, but I am very grateful they haven't yet. The K1 is still the best looking and better performing QRP radio there is in my opinion. Why, oh why did I sell mine? Well, to buy the KX3... But the KX3 does much more than what I need. I wish I still my my 4-band K1 instead now.

The KX1 is too close in function to my Weber MTR. I am hesitant to get one. Elecraft, please modernize the K1! I swear I'll buy one again, pretty please!

Gil.

Photo of old drifty attached..  :'(

KK0G

In my opinion the KX1 is a better rig, but of course I'm biased since I own a KX1 and have never even used a K1. Having to open up the rig and swap modules to change bands just doesn't appeal to me. I wouldn't mind owning a K1 because...... well, just because, but I'm very content with my KX1 and K2.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

Hello Chris,

The K1 supposedly has an even better receiver then the KX1, if that's possible. It is said that DDS VFO receivers are not as good as their analog counterpart... Anyway, the K1 with its 4-band module is an awesome radio. It does drift on startup, but then stabilizes nicely. The K1 is basically a cute mini K2!

Gil.

gil

Confirmed  :(

QuoteGil,

The 4-band board was discontinued due to a part availability issue that was crucial to the functionality of the KF1-4. So no, it will not be coming back sorry to say.

We do not have any left.

Lisa
Lisa Jones Elecraft, Inc. 831-763-4211