Coffee Shop QRP Operation.

Started by gil, December 06, 2012, 06:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

I had a blast today with my K1 at the coffee shop! 800 miles on 3W out into the Buddistick on 30 and 20m (6W on 20). Trying to copy Morse with cars zipping by is good practice. You can see the Buddistick and counterpoise wire if you look carefully. The bicycle in the background is mine  ;) Can't do that with a QRO station!

Gil.

RadioRay

Rather cool!

I was on the other end of some of this and was impressed.  Tuned-on the radio and there Gil was operating /java portable copiable and .  I can just SEE a new award now; the WACS  Worked All Coffee Shops  . . . and it's CW only.

However, the relation with prepping is direct, in that, TEOTWAWKI happens anytime, anywhere , so your 'survival, knife, kit, survival radio' is the one that you have with you at the time.

There was yet another report of a couple stranded in their Jeep in the Sierras - out of cell phone range.  The husband decided to walk out for help - and died.  Imagine how EASY that situation would be with even a little QRP rig in the car.

73 de RadioRay ..._ ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

It's unbelievable how removed from nature people have become. Also unbelievable is the lack of common sense most display. I read about "tourists" dying like that all the time. In National parks even, barely off the trail. The only argument I ever had with my ex girlfriend was about something like that. We were camping in Idaho last year, away from any campsite, and I mentioned that we should have brought a gun. She didn't think it was a good idea and asked me why. I pointed to the rusted steel fireplace enclosure riddled with bullet holes and said "because of that, and if a bear shows up, run like hell while I get mauled.." She had very little concept of personal safety. I wouldn't dream about being without a radio, or one of those spot gizmos outside of cell phone range. I think the radio has a better chance to work, and won't cost me $60/month in membership fee..

Let's face it, life is easy these days, and natural selection is no longer a survival factor. Comes an SHTF situation, and it will hit like a freight train. Death in the millions. Just because nobody is prepared or they think they are and plan on bugging out to the woods. Yeah, right... Hell, I'm not sure I'd make it myself if I tried to pull that off. That couple in the Sierras could have saved themselves by having as much as an SSB capable CB, or of course, better yet, a small CW radio thrown in the back..

Ray, you're absolutely right that QRP portable is directly related to prepping.

"Java portable," I like that  ;D I also want to try horse-mobile and ultralight-mobile, with a Zepp antenna behind the plane!

Gil.

RadioRay

Oh - I've had that discussion about 'Why would you bring a GUN?!?!"  .  Until she was spooked by wandering 'critters' in the middle of the night and then all that liberal manure she had poured into her brain began to listen to the brain stem which wanted to remain alive.   

-...-
Decades ago, I remember an interview by the first 'metrosexual': Phil Donohue, with a 'survivalist'.  It went something like this:

PD:  Okay, so you've got your food, you've got your gold, so why the guns?

KS:  Phil, you see, if you've got the gold and food and I have my .44 magnum, one of us is going to end-up with the gold, food AND the .44 .

PD:  You meeeean?  (in shock)

KS:  Well Phil, when you're hungry enough, everbody is a 'survivalist'.

While I don't agree with his sentiments, it is true that you must occasionally be able to meet force with superior force & tactics.

-...-

I dumped that girlfriend, who returned to her jaundiced mental conditioning soon after we reached her cushy home in southern California.  OTOH - there was my friend Lori who used an old SKS as counter argument against three banditos who were prowling the national forest in southern California and decided that she was going to be their entertainment for the day.  Seems that the simple action of her lifting the previously unseen rifle and racking a round into the chamber sent the three pendejos quite literally running for their truck.  Apparantly, the banditos were not accustomed to lone females traveling with ChiCom surplus rifles. I know Lori - she would have killed all three and then continued reading her book and smoking until she felt like driving home. Since these three were probably undocumented aliens, there would be no need to change that by her filing a report of where to pick-up the bodies.    ;)
-...-
Most of what people 'know' about the real world, they've learned from watching cartoons.
-...-

Time to go split wood...

>de RadioRay ..._ ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

QuoteOh - I've had that discussion about 'Why would you bring a GUN?!?!"  .  Until she was spooked by wandering 'critters' in the middle of the night and then all that liberal manure she had poured into her brain began to listen to the brain stem which wanted to remain alive.   

;D

I remember another interview right before Y2K. A journalist was interviewing a man and a woman. He asked the woman how she was prepared, and she described her food stores, water, etc. Then he asked the guy. The man said "Oh, I just have a gun, and I will be coming for her food!" You should have seen that woman's face!  ;D Priceless.

Next time I date a woman, I'll mention having a "bug-out" bag and watch her reaction carefully...

People are more receptive to radios than guns, but both are just survival tools and fun hobbies.
Hell, you could injure someone badly with an old Icom  ::)

Yes, my ex did live for years in California... To her credit, she did go to the range once and shot a black powder revolver. There was some hope.. Oh well..

Gil.

KC9TNH

Very neat indeed Gil. Nice ambience. BTW, you mentioned awhile back about continuing encroachments in certain band areas that are typically thought of as QRP slices of "the plan." Have you found some particular areas/freqs that you gravitate toward? Lately my personal sked has been a bit nuts but I'll fire up & listen wide whenever popping in the shack. WACS certificate, LOL.

Quote from: RadioRay on December 07, 2012, 11:28:50 AM
Most of what people 'know' about the real world, they've learned from watching cartoons.
I was reminded recently that the medulla allows humans to breathe without thinking.

RadioRay

!!!  HOT OFF THE BENCH !!!
I just finished the alignment for this phase of my 'Wilderness Sierra, Mk.4'.  It's an almost 20 year old QRP rig and has a fine history of being a good one.  I've made more than a few significant mods during the past two decades, hence the 'Mk.4' suffix.  The latest mod was building a Direct Digital Synthesis VFO from a kit by N3ZI and eventually grafting it into the Sierra. 

It's not at the end point in the design spiral yet, but it's evidently quite operational, at least that's what Maurice in France had to say about it.  With between 2 to 3 Watts into a 130 foot doublet at 40'ish feet, we had a solid contact on 30 meters. The distance covered with fine copy: 3846.9 mi , with a 'home-brew' rig that you can hold in your hand. This design is capable of covering all HF ham bands, but I only have modules made for 80 - 17 meters. I think that 160 is in my future - just for fun.

As Gil is demonstrating, QRP CW is a very easily pedestrian portable, transportable and java-set-up "able" way to communicate without commercial infrastructure. Next we need some camping trips, with dipole in the trees. That's a GREAT way to operate HF radio!

73 de RadioRay ..._ ._

KC9TNH

Quote from: RadioRay on December 07, 2012, 05:29:04 PMI just finished the alignment for this phase of my 'Wilderness Sierra, Mk.4'.  It's an almost 20 year old QRP rig and has a fine history of being a good one.
Very neat Ray, not familiar with them but have heard of them - and, yes, fine reputation is what heard.

Coming year should be fun; bass club has elected to travel further for some special areas but we'll be camping to save money. So while buddy grills, I will be tossing a plumb bob with paracord & wire into a tree.
Java Radio
. .

White Tiger

Very cool - I'm in lust over your K2!
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

gil

QuoteHave you found some particular areas/freqs that you gravitate toward?

Hello Wes. Yes, I spend a lot of time on 7030, evenings. Also recently, more time on 30m, 10106 and 10132 with Ray. I also use 14060 mid-day with my K1 and Buddistick, because that antenna is more efficient on 20m than 30. Otherwise 40+30 would do fine for me, which incidentally are the two bands of that neat little Mantiz transceiver I just got, and that should be returned to me on Monday  :)
I have more QRP radios with 40m than any other. 30m is great to use with the Buddistick, because it doesn't play well on 40.

Ray, that Sierra is a neat radio. Great job on the conversion! How does it compare to your KX1, size and performance?

QuoteVery cool - I'm in lust over your K2!

Hi Tim. The K2 is great, and does SSB. Stop by some time to look at it... I would love a KX3, and might sell that K2 to get one when I can afford the difference. I could sell my K1 & K2 to finance a KX3, but I am too attached to the K1. Even my K2 would be hard to get rid of. I have aligned it perfectly now and it works like a charm..

A note about the Buddistick... Everyone complains about how inefficient that antenna is. To some degree, of course.. An eight foot antenna with one counterpoise wire is not going to compete with a dipole at 60ft. However, it can be set-up in minutes anywhere. I would not be java-portable without it. I don't think shooting a wire up a street light post would be well perceived.. I already wonder if anyone will call the police seeing me transmitting CW at the coffee shop.. I need to make sure I shave before doing so! No tanning for me either  ::) Has that ever happened by the way? The Buddistick is discreet. Some people don't even see it and walk by without notice. Anyway, that antenna works. 800 miles on 2W with the antenna inside the house is proof enough to me. When there is no tree anywhere around, it is a lifesaver. I would also look into some 35ft. telescopic mast for an end-fed, but it's hard to find one that doesn't have too thin a tip.

At that coffee shop, I clamp the antenna to a table and run the counterpoise wire on the white picket fence up front. Nobody sees it.. It is a good way to promote Ham radio by the way.. Works better than old guys wearing orange vests using HTs at public events. People rarely see QRP operations. All they know about Ham radio is the usual shack photo with a guy in not-so-great-shape holding a D-104 or the proverbial orange-jacket wearer. Nothing against either, but there are many other facets to Ham radio the public doesn't know. There is also no reason why there shouldn't be more younger Hams around... I don't think many of them know that you can take a small transceiver up a mountain top or hiking. Hence the Sierra couple type of tragedies. Now, a young guy sees me with my little K1 sipping a hot chocolate, he might think "hum, I could use something like that for my next adventure.."

Anyway, I do plan on promoting CW QRP any way I can. I won't make a crusade out of it, but it is certainly worth mentioning it to others, because it is so useful and neat!

Another word about slingshots... Get one! Less than $10 and you can shoot a 1oz weight way up there! Not to mention many other fun uses..

Gil.

Here below, the perfect java radio:

Sunflower

Quote from: gil on December 07, 2012, 11:57:49 AM
Yes, my ex did live for years in California... To her credit, she did go to the range once and shot a black powder revolver. There was some hope.. Oh well..

Gil.
That's funny.