Morse Code Decoder Crutch.

Started by gil, December 12, 2014, 12:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Hello,

For some time I have been using my KX3, which has a built-in decoder and a nice screen to scroll decoded text on. Not that I use it, really, but when I missed a word, I would glance at it... Today I had a nice sked with Ray as usual, but missed a whole sentence :-[ Asked him to repeat it, missed it again :o What is going on here? BTW I have switched to using my MTR lately, which of course does not have a decoder; ah... Seems like I have been using the KX3 decoder as a crutch and my copying skills have suffered. May this be a warning to you guys with built-in decoders... Use your brain or lose your skill... The KX3 is going back to the cookie tin for a while...

Gil.

KK0G

I can't speak from experience as I've never had a decoder to fall back on but I can see how it could unintentionally become a crutch. Good idea on putting it away for a while, but, can't you just turn the decoder off?
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

Quotebut, can't you just turn the decoder off?

Sure, you can display something else instead, but I waned to play with my MTR anyway  ;D

Gil.

RadioRay

Funny that you should mention that.

I can confirm the your fastest, most accurate skeds were toward the end of your last camping trip.  There is just something about focusing on the signal mentally, that makes it all work better. Frankly, I was really disappointing the Elecraft put a monstrosity like a Morse decoder in their KX3. Elecraft - of ALL companies, knows better than to do that nonsense. It would have been better to include another digital mode, like OLIVIA or CONTESTIA instead of wasting it with trying to machine copy Morse which is superb by ear, and wretched by machine. (which is how it SHOULD be.)

73 de RadioRay  ..._  ._

Ps. I'd love to see all contesting be forced to use straight key, pencil and paper . . .  >:( ... That would sold THAT big problem.  :) ;) :D ;D :o ::) :P
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

QuoteI can confirm the your fastest, most accurate skeds were toward the end of your last camping trip.

That is interesting. I think I reached a treshold at 20wpm where my current level of practice does not allow progress. Sporadically glancing at the decoder brought me back one step. I have stagnated at 20wpm for too long, especially that I do not copy 100% at that speed. So, I will increase practice time, setting my Ham Morse iPhone app to 25wpm. We'll see what happens...

Gil.

RadioRay

That sounds like a good plan.  Sometimes, training on Morse trainers is what is needed.  If I used the elliptical runner as much as I copied code, I'd weigh about 90 pounds.    ;D

Seriously: in the days that you were out there, your code was noticeably faster yet more accurate noticeably and increasingly so, with each passing day.  Though you had plenty of options, being out there simulated 'having to depend upon Morse' so your focus and intent was excellent: survival instinct.

I've had people make fun of me, because I carefully build a fire - even in the fireplace.  Of course, they've never NEEDED a fire while out in the middle of a freezing wilderness: I have - too many times to count. 

Periodic Challenge Is Life's Great Elixir.

de RadioRay  ..._  ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry