Took the plunge

Started by madball13, February 04, 2014, 07:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madball13

Quote from: cockpitbob on February 05, 2014, 08:29:27 AM
So madball13, you staying home and grinding on the code trainer between stints with the snow blower and hot chocolate?  The Taunton, MA NWS chart shows 8"-10" but the local news says 12".

I got up at 5:30 and say clean roads so i decided to go in, got out of the shower and got dressed and they roads were covered. only 9 of the 120 showed up today at the office. Currently got some punk rock turned up load and jamming out some emails.

Thanks KK0G. I felt the same way when i started K and m and stuck it out and look what happened.

cockpitbob

Thanks KK0G. I felt the same way when i started K and m and stuck it out and look what happened.
Over the year+ of half-hearted studying I hit several plateaus.  They passed.  And there are plenty of people willing to QSO at under 10wpm.

KC9TNH

Head-copy is a good thing to have, especially conversationally. Don't discount the need at some point (that most hope never happens) to be able to "no-bs 100%" transcribe what you've copied in a situation where it really matters.

cockpitbob

Sending Practice:
The club I belong to gives Morse classes every winter.  I finally passed the 20wpm copy test.  There's one last thing to do.  If I can send at 20wpm for 5 minutes and the instructor finds 1 minute of perfect sending in the 5 I get the coveted Master Operator hat.  I'm not into wall paper or show-off stuff and won't wear the hat much, but I do like having "a mission".

To practice sending I got the Morse Code Reader app, set my phone by the keyer's speaker and start sending.  The reader is almost useless copying from a radio with anything but a strong clean signal, but it does very well reading off my keyer.  The next test is in 3 weeks.  I've got a lot of ground to cover, but I think this is a useful goal.  Like everyone else, I want to have an easy to copy fist.

KK0G

Quote from: cockpitbob on March 10, 2014, 02:12:27 PM
Sending Practice:
The club I belong to gives Morse classes every winter.  I finally passed the 20wpm copy test.  There's one last thing to do.  If I can send at 20wpm for 5 minutes and the instructor finds 1 minute of perfect sending in the 5 I get the coveted Master Operator hat.  I'm not into wall paper or show-off stuff and won't wear the hat much, but I do like having "a mission".

To practice sending I got the Morse Code Reader app, set my phone by the keyer's speaker and start sending.  The reader is almost useless copying from a radio with anything but a strong clean signal, but it does very well reading off my keyer.  The next test is in 3 weeks.  I've got a lot of ground to cover, but I think this is a useful goal.  Like everyone else, I want to have an easy to copy fist.

Congratulations on passing the 20 WPM test, no doubt you'll ace the sending test also. I can quite easily send at 20 WPM but about all I can copy at that speed is basic info like callsign, signal report, etc and only if I have an idea of what's coming next. It works out fine for DXing in a pile up but I'd be lost in a ragchew at that speed.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

cockpitbob

Quote from: KK0G on March 10, 2014, 03:20:37 PM
Congratulations on passing the 20 WPM test, no doubt you'll ace the sending test also. I can quite easily send at 20 WPM but about all I can copy at that speed is basic info like callsign, signal report, etc and only if I have an idea of what's coming next. It works out fine for DXing in a pile up but I'd be lost in a ragchew at that speed.
Thanks, but I'll have to say that passing the 20wpm wasn't a very realistic situation and I couldn't sit down at a rig and do that well.  We had just spent an hour copying off a Morse Machine so I was all warmed up and focused. And of courst the test tape was a perfec fist.

As far as the sending test, I'm not so sure it will be that easy for me.  I'm definetly going to have to find just the right balance between too little and too much coffee :)

Luigi

Hi there. This web site got me interested in CW. I am enrolled in cw ops this fall 2014. I have learned all the letters and numbers. I can send pretty well. I cannot copy very well. I guess I learned the wrong way. I am listening to code as much as possible. I prefer learning with someone else. Any advice?

One other thing. I have a great deal of difficulty sending at slower speeds. I find that upping the speed a few words per minute really helps. I am using an iambic keyer with contacts set so that a very slight touch keys the transmitter. A thin sheet of paper will barely fit between the contacts.

I have chatted with a few people in cw mode (using cwget software to me read the cw) but most people were only interested in contesting. That is a wierd way to operate and I feel it is a waste of time. I would rather carry om a few shot messages without all the software.

Is there anyone interested in communicating via cw or practicing with me? I am on the west coast.

Luigi

gil

QuoteI am enrolled in cw ops this fall 2014

Hello Luigi,

That class helped me quite a bit to switch from writing to head-copy. Let me know who your instructor is?

Gil.

Luigi

Thanks. I will let you know. It will be this fall.
Luigi

mdmc

Quote from: Luigi on April 15, 2014, 02:14:40 AM
Hi there. This web site got me interested in CW. I am enrolled in cw ops this fall 2014. I have learned all the letters and numbers. I can send pretty well. I cannot copy very well. I guess I learned the wrong way. I am listening to code as much as possible. I prefer learning with someone else. Any advice?

Luigi, in my CWOpps class, we are using the G4FON software. If you don't have it I would suggest getting it. It is free, all over the net. Start working the word files asap both copying and sending. Apparently different instructors run their classes a bit differently. I am taking the lowest level class. The class is taught at 20wpm. Only time will tell how successful it will be for me. I understand now, the importance of learning at a higher speed, like 20wmp. Though at first, it seemed a bit daunting .

QuoteI have chatted with a few people in cw mode (using cwget software to me read the cw) but most people were only interested in contesting. That is a wierd way to operate and I feel it is a waste of time. I would rather carry om a few shot messages without all the software.

Is there anyone interested in communicating via cw or practicing with me? I am on the west coast.

Luigi

Contesting is not for everyone, including me. There is room for everyone, though.
I am sure they have advanced the technology for all of us.
(Almost everyone.There are some real sickos on the air unfortunately.)

I have some useful and interesting PDF files my instructor sent. He has put a lot into teaching the code. If you are interested, send me a private message through the group with your email address and I will send some of them to you. I'm not sure I am up to working on the air yet, but will be soon. I would be glad to work with you on the air as soon as I am able.

Luigi

Mike,
Thank you. I have the software and I use it daily. I started with 17 wpm and now I key in at 20. 20 seems to feel better to me. Listening is another issue. I have a while until fall. By then the class might be review. I have installed the web cam chat software and read their manuals ahead of time.
I will send a PM.
Thanks. On air I would just jump into it. Most folks are pretty nice about being new to it on the air.
Luigi.

KK0G

Jump right in there Luigi, you won't find a more helpful and patient group of hams than CW operators. keep at it, you'll get there ;) .
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G