Rock-Mite question

Started by NWARadio, April 22, 2014, 08:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWARadio

When I check out the RM on the web page, they show available frequencies. Am I right that I can only get one frequency per kit? So if I built one, I'd only be able to transmit and receive on that one frequency?
So long, and thanks for all the fish

gil

Pretty much... However the Rock-Mite has a button you can press which sends you about 1.4kHz away.. So, you technically have two frequencies 8) Which if you are patient and you choose a popular frequency should be quite enough to make contact..

Gil.

NWARadio

Could you suggest a frequency for me? I messed around with my paddle tonight and learned my call sign. Probably should've learned to copy first, but whatever lol

KK0G

Correct. The fixed frequency is determined by the "rock" (slang term for crystal), hence its name.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

NWARadio

I see. I didn't know that was slang for a crystal. Learn something new every day!

KK0G

Quote from: NWARadio on April 22, 2014, 09:12:28 PM
Could you suggest a frequency for me? I messed around with my paddle tonight and learned my call sign. Probably should've learned to copy first, but whatever lol
The QRP calling frequency is 7.030 MHz. Unless you had another specific frequency that you need to regularly use for a sked or net, that's what I'd choose.

ETA: I guess I was just assuming a 40 meter Rock-Mite. Each band has a QRP calling frequency, Google will turn up lots of results for them all if you're looking at something other than 40 meter.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

NWARadio

So, the MO isn't to call on the calling frequency and then move to another frequency? I don't want to be the LID irritating everybody else by talking on the calling frequency.

gil

20m: 14060.
30m: 10106.
40m: 7030.

Well, with 500mW to 1W, you're not going to bother people.. The Rock Mite won't be right on that frequency anyway, but around 1kHz lower, from my experience. So, you're far enough that anyone with a 500Hz filter can tune you out. Since you're not exactly on the calling frequency, and put out so little power, no problem for rag-chews. My RM40 with a 7030 crystal is on 7029...

Gil.

NWARadio

Are there any small kits that offer 5 watts?

KK0G

Quote from: NWARadio on April 22, 2014, 09:19:26 PM
So, the MO isn't to call on the calling frequency and then move to another frequency? I don't want to be the LID irritating everybody else by talking on the calling frequency.
Like Gil said you won't be irritating anyone. CW on HF is nothing even remotely like VHF FM.

Quote from: NWARadio on April 22, 2014, 09:19:26 PM
Are there any small kits that offer 5 watts?
Only several hundred 8)

KK0G

NWARadio

Good. Give me some suggestions, cause I've got like 15 tabs open on my computer looking at kits lol

gil

Well, if you're willing to spend $200, here is your best choice: http://qrpkits.com/tribander.html
There is the Weber MTR of course, but they just sold out last night (within hours as usual).
Got $300 or $400? Elecraft K1: http://www.elecraft.com/elecraft_prod_list.htm#k1
The KX1 is a bit more advanced, with a DDS VFO (more stable), $300.
There isn't much in between...

Gil.

KK0G

KK0G

KK0G

Hopefully Gil and I aren't overloading you ;D . maybe we should start with what it is exactly that you think you're looking for? I realize you don't have experience with QRP CW yet but how do you envision you'll be using it? In the shack or out in the field; serious use or just something to get your feet wet. What's your budget? What's your kit building experience? etc, etc.

KK0G

NWARadio

You're not overloading me. I don't have a lot of kit building experience. I built a regen receiver once. It would've worked if I hadn't done something stupid to it. We won't talk about that. I like small things. Really small. I'd like to take something like this out in the field to mess around with. And it's just to get my feet with. Just something fun to mess around with. It'll help me stay interested while I'm learning CW. As far as budget.....I don't know. I might buy one of the cheaper kits that don't have as much power.