Sort of a Radio Go Box, Maybe...

Started by gil, February 16, 2017, 07:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Hello,

I am taking a survival class this weekend and of course will bring a radio with me. I ended up with a similar setup to my Pyrenees trek gear. The box is pretty small as you can see. The batteries visible on the bottom right are AA cells, giving you an idea of the overall size, or lack thereof. The contents are:

• Weber MTR3b CW 20/30/40m HF radio.
  • Random wire 19ft antenna.
  • ZM-2 tuner.
  • EARCHI 9:1 UNUN.
  • Rechargeable AA cells (8).
  • Homebrew Morse paddles.
  • Veho360 speakers (2).
  • Earphones.
  • Patch cables (2).
  • Fishing weights 1Oz (2).

Total weight is 1.12kg (39.5 Oz).

Everything needed to operate is in that box, though I will add a 25ft RG-174 cable and a 35.5ft random wire in case I find a nice tree. I also bring a slingshot, fishing line and 6m telescopic pole.

Gil.

MaryAnn

Gil,

With your permission, I'd like to copy your "Sort of a Radio Go Box, Maybe..." post as a handout for my "Why Ham Radio is Cool for Preppers" presentation.

If you're OK with that, would you mind giving me the dimensions of the box you used?  Also, I understand the Weber XCVR has "semi-QSK."  Does that work for you?  I'm a full break-in kind of girl, so I'm not sure what "semi-QSK" means.   ;)

By the way, did you know that QRP'ers never die?  They just QSB.

Have fun this weekend.

MaryAnn, NS7X   

gil

QuoteWith your permission, I'd like to copy your "Sort of a Radio Go Box, Maybe..." post as a handout for my "Why Ham Radio is Cool for Preppers" presentation.

Certainly. You can use anything on this site as long as you mention the source. You can also show any videos from the YouTube channel.

QuoteDoes that work for you?

:o I have no idea, LOL. Not sure either what semi-QSK is... The only rig I noticed would shut off receiving while sending is my RT-320. I don't notice any difference between my KX2 and my MTR. I usually keep my sentences short so it doesn't bother me. QSK might be useful for contesters, but I don't really care if my radio has it or not.

Quotewould you mind giving me the dimensions of the box you used?

About 170x125x95mm.

QuoteHave fun this weekend.

I did! Learned a couple lessons regarding radio too, since things didn't work so well, more on that later ;)

Have a great day,

Gil.

gil

Here is my next "Go-Box." I want to fit a whole HF station inside this Twinings tin can, including Weber MTR, antenna, end-fed tuner, key, batteries, coax and earphones...

The tin is about 105x80x90mm inside.
BIC lighter shown for size.

Gil.

MaryAnn

"QSK might be useful for contesters, but I don't really care if my radio has it or not."

Contesters, huh?  Ha!  Full break-in is what makes CW conversational and efficient!  Operating CW with QSK is like being a butterfly flitting about on a warm summer breeze, and not having QSK is like dragging anchor chains through mud.  Without QSK, you might as well be keying a mic. 

And, yes.  It is also useful for contesting. ;)

MaryAnn NS7X

gil

LOL, maybe my level of proficiency doesn't require it yet...

Gil