How do I equalize my batteries?

Started by WA4STO, June 13, 2013, 03:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WA4STO

Tom (TTABS) makes an excellent point about equalizing (I think of it as 'supercharging') my battery bank.

Back when I lived in my 5th wheel RV, and had large amounts of solar power on the roof, I could routinely equalize them, because my charge controller allowed the increased voltage to do it upon (my) command.

Today, my bug-in location utilizes a normal battery charger which, of course, shuts down the charging when the batts reach their limit, but no further. 

These batteries really do need to be equalized/supercharged.  I've had 'em two years now and they've never been charged up to the point that the AGMs really want.

Any of you know of a solution?  I'm reluctant to build a proper controller from scratch as I am, at some point soon, going to be putting in the solar panels, charge controller (WITH equalizing capability...) and whatnot.

Luck, WA4STO

White Tiger

Luck, great topic - does the chemical "shake-up" of the crystals that form on the cells - help to get deeper charge?

Also - do you know the size of your future solar set-up and the cost?
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

WA4STO

Quote from: White Tiger on June 16, 2013, 12:05:31 PM
Luck, great topic - does the chemical "shake-up" of the crystals that form on the cells - help to get deeper charge?

Also - do you know the size of your future solar set-up and the cost?

The internal shake-up, chemically, is something that doesn't seem to make any real sense in my (withering) brain.  I gather that the ability to give the batteries a higher voltage charge (equalization) is something that my charger just won't do.  So I need to make sure I get the kind of solar charge-controller that TTABS uses so that I can do that, when it comes time to do the solar planning.

No, I have only the vaguest notion of the size and cost of the solar setup.  I've got a fabulous amount of roof space (and orientation) in the new digs, but I just haven't prioritized that kind of spending yet.  It'll happen, just not sure when.

LH