Thank you Mr Weber!

Started by gil, July 11, 2013, 11:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Had to say it! Tonight I decided to play with my magnetic loop.. Plugged in my "Tenna Dipper" (Weber design) to tune the loop.. Then turned on my Weber MTR. I had to move aside my DC20B (Weber design) to make space.. That's when I realized  :o Three Weber designs on the table, including my favorite radio! Not that I try to buy his kits; it just happens, and they all work great. So, thank you Mr Weber! I can't wait for the new MTR to come out. Presumably it will have three bands (20/30/40), an LCD display and maybe a touch keyer and touch buttons. I am so glad people like Steve Weber, Dave Benson, Elecraft and a few others produce such great kits.

Gil.

KK0G

He sure designs some cool kits, I love my Weber Dual Band.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

I can't help but compare the DC20B to the MTR. The DC20B circuit board is actually slightly larger then the MTR's. Yet the MTR is a dual-band full coverage DDS VFO radio with 5W output, while the DC20B is a single frequency 500mW rig. Incredible what you can do with a few surface-mounted chips! Actually, I believe the MTR circuitry was inspired from the Dual Bander.

Working with surface-mount components was in many ways easier than through-hole. Well, except for the size! It's much easier to misidentify parts...

Gil.