Intro and mcHF

Started by Rescue9, July 15, 2015, 09:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rescue9

Hello all. I've been lurking for a while reading all I could. Searching through Tapatalk for QRP led me here. I don't talk much, but will input on subjects that I have some knowledge.

I work for a career fire  department in western Kentucky. I've been EMS/Fire in  some form for 22 years.  I got my Tech class license almost two years now,but fell out of it for a while. I talk 2m & 70cm at work all the time so there was no novelty for me that I thought I would have.  I've been actively working for General now for a could months, and plan to have it soon. So I've never talked on HF yet, never had an elmer, and am learning from scratch.

My drive for General class came when I Googled QRP backpacking radio and found the Softrock SDR. But needing a laptop wasn't reasonable for me.... Then I found M0NKA's mcHF project and just had to build one.  Well, I built one over the past 3 weeks and have it "working", but I don't have an antenna and the three I've tried making all give me the same results.... A waterfall filled with static every the 5 hz or so. No worries, I'll get a known working antenna from a friend later this week; at least I hope so, not being able to talk is killing me. I've heard that with the mcHF, solder issues are usually the problem, so having a known good antenna will help me troubleshoot.

Anyway, my post was twofold, I'd seen someone here post about the mcHF before and figured I'd introduce myself and let everyone know I've built one if anyone has questions. In addition, I like the discussions here and wanted to intro so when I do eventually make a comment, you guys won't be thinking "who's this noob"! Also, typing on a tablet bites, laptop is updating now..... I usually don't make this many grammatical errors, but am too lazy to fix em all.

cockpitbob

Rescue9, welcome to the board!

I had forgotten about the mcHF.  I'm starting to feel the need to build something new and I've been trying to find something very small that will do digital modes with either my 7" tablet or my Android phone.  I need to read more about it but it looks very interesting.  I've been trying to get the Boy Scouts around me interested in ham radio and if it involves an LCD screen and texting it just might grab their attention.  Please do keep us posted on your work with that radio.

Rescue9

Lol. U mention Boy Scouts. That opens up another avenue for intro. I'm my sons Den leader, he just got his tiger badge. I'm also big into backpacking and hiking. In addition, I test backpacking gear for free and were always looking for more testers. I'm working with my troop leaders here on a program to get the kids free gear by testing as well. The program is BackpackGearTest.org. through them, companies send us gear, we give honest, non-sponsored (unlike backpacker magazine style) reviews and try to find as many problems as possible for the companies to actually fix, then we keep the gear at the end.

Anyway, on a phone now and thumbs already tired. Sorry if I wasn't supposed to post links. Anyone can join though so its not for just scouts. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll elaborate more when I have a full keyboard. Nice to meet you.

gil

Interesting project. It does not seem to be a beginner's kit... Actually, it seems like you have to source components yourself.. I will certainly keep an eye on it, until it is offered as a complete kit, and then might pull the trigger. This type of radios is the future of QRP. It started with Steve Weber and his AT Sprint and MTR series, and now others are following. CW rules QRP at this time, but it would be great to have SSB as well on rigs that fit on the palm of the hand.

BTW, you can post links. What we really want though are photos of your project ;)

Gil.

cockpitbob

BTW, my 15 year old son did a 4 day "summer camp" on 3D printing.  Now I have to keep my promise to him.  This weekend I'm ordering a 3D printer.  I bring this up because I see the case for the mcHF is 3D printed.  For the cost of the plastic and mailing, I'll be more than happy to print a case for anyone on this board that builds a mcHF (excluding someone that obviously joins just for this offer).

madball13

Quote from: cockpitbob on July 16, 2015, 10:47:35 AM
BTW, my 15 year old son did a 4 day "summer camp" on 3D printing.  Now I have to keep my promise to him.  This weekend I'm ordering a 3D printer.  I bring this up because I see the case for the mcHF is 3D printed.  For the cost of the plastic and mailing, I'll be more than happy to print a case for anyone on this board that builds a mcHF (excluding someone that obviously joins just for this offer).

Excellent NEWS! Especially since i live 5 miles away from you!!