Its never been cheaper to get into Ham Radio! 3 to 30Mhz Xcvr for $109 US

Started by caulktel, December 11, 2017, 08:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cockpitbob

Wow!  Fully built and tested surface mount boars!
Nice find.

No mention of current draw in Rx, but just looking at the board and circuitry it can't be bad.

I'd be ordering one right now, but I'm literally 3 projects behind right now ::) and promised myself I wouldn't buy another kit until I got at least 2 of these done :-\

caulktel

Hi Bob,

I found this from Ashhar Farhan himself regarding power consumption:

"Rx draws 150 ma on zero volume. It can go up to 200 ma on peaks.the tx draws south of 700ma without modulation, peaks to 2.5A on modulation."

Joel
N6ALT

cockpitbob

Joel, thanks!  Those are very reasonable power numbers.  This rig is looking more attractive every time I look at it.

caulktel

I received my new uBITX yesterday morning about 10AM, made my first contact by 1PM. A really nice sounding rig and putting out 10 watts on 40 meters. I'm trying to decide which case to use next.

Joel
N6ALT

scarr

I'm going to pick up one of these in the New Year.. would love to put it in a rugged case with built in ZM-3 tuner and a NEScaf filter..

caulktel

I have to say that this has turned out to be a great radio. Due to a chain of unfortunate supply and demand issues, I finally have a very nice case coming that will really make this uBitx look professional. A ham named Ian Lee on the uBitx group has completely rewritten the firmware and turned this into a professional radio with adjustable IF, memory, split operation, RIT, CAT control, and a whole bunch of other cool things. I can't wait to get this all finished and in my bedroom for nighttime ops. I hope those of you that bought one are enjoying it as much as I am. I think I will order another one.

Joel
N6ALT

gil

Jon_Garfio

Times are changing, Mbitx, mchf clon RS-918 (350€), etc.

I hope oriental market soon developes a SDR 100 whatts low cost.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 4 mediante Tapatalk

Sapere aude

caulktel

Hi Gil,

A lot of guys are using this one, but I ordered the one from the same seller that is the same dimensions  but a little taller to accommodate the Altec lancing speaker I'm going to mount inside.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5U-65-x-178-x-203-mm-DIY-Hi-Aluminum-Electronic-Enclosure-Project-Box-Case/122963505580?hash=item1ca13231ac:g:uYsAAOSwubRXJQAW

Joel
N6ALT

caulktel

Well I finally received the enclosure for the uBitx, this was the hardest part of this whole project. I crossed the first hurdle and measured and drill the holes for the main board. Now to cut the display into the front panel, this is my least favorite thing to do :'(. I came to a sad conclusion on this project, I will be separating the display from the main board so that the display can be in the middle of the panel. I just couldn't have looked at it with the display over on the left side of the panel. So now I need to devise a method of short jumper wires or a custom made flat ribbon. If I dont mess up the cutout this is going to look very good.

Joel
N6ALT

Andywragg

Once a 'STAB in the Dark'
M6UAW

Andywragg

Once a 'STAB in the Dark'
M6UAW

gil

caulktel

Finally done with my uBITX. Total cost, $145.00. Works great and will live on my night stand next to my bed and maybe go traveling with me this summer. Fun project but glad it's over.

Joel
N6ALT