Sometimes Simple is Better

Started by RadioRay, June 12, 2014, 12:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

During a time when i had to focus all finances on my family - as is just the right thing to do- it left me with little to get on the air with.  Some haywired radio gear, which would never sell on E-bay is what was left.  So - haywiring I did and got it working fairly well. QRP gear from kits and a little home brew.  It worked and it was FUN!  As money loosened a little bit, I was able to build an amplifier so that friends in RF noisy cities could hear me better.  I usually hear them 'weak readable' because of the low noise here. That was fun - occasionally exasperating as I slowly made the amplifier more stable, but fun none the less.   Eventually money was close to normal again and I bought an IC-7200 .  It is excellent, I can do digital modes, it's a great shortwave receiver and etc.  You know what - I really miss the simpler gear and am tempted to return to my haywired station, and use the Big Rig money for something else.

Odd - eh?

Anyone else with this same mental problem, or is it only ME?    ;)

>Ray

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

While modern high tech commercial gear is way cool and lots of fun, there's a certain satisfaction that comes from making a contact with gear that I've either repurposed, modified or built from the ground up. I guess I'm just hardwired to use the opposable thumbs I was born with for their intended purpose of using tools.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

I can relate.. Having bought my KX3, I find it excellent, but I only use a fraction of its capabilities. The only reasons I keep it is for Winlink and short-wave-listening. Otherwise, the MTR does everything I need, which is 20, 30, 40m CW. 5W is plenty in CW. SWL and Winlink are pretty much for emergencies only, though I do use them from time to time. I am not going to sell the KX3 because it is an awesome portable rig, but I could definitely do with less.. What I should not have sold was my K1. I might build another one.. I really miss old drifty ;)

Gil.