It's alive! Almost finished

Started by K7JLJ, December 14, 2014, 10:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K7JLJ

http://youtu.be/QmXzg_ZWfW4

Happy to finally have my radio working again tonight even if it's only for a few hours before I tear it all apart again for finishing touches.

This is my base radio but because I have not other, I wanted to have a portable setup that could be transferred to the vehicle or run off grid via batteries and solar power.

I'll put a full right up on my website when all the finishing touches are done but I had to share. :)

Still needs a PL259 on the front, a cover plate, a FM radio XMTR for use in the vehicles, I need to find a way to mount the LED light bar I bought for it along with an accessory pack mounted to the future top cover.

Nothing new, I found the idea on the internet but I really like having everything ready to go like this setup allows.
-Jim

gil

Cool, I'd have the frame powder coated for a good finish...

Gil.

K7JLJ

Yeah I had that suggested but don't want to put the money into it.  I use to Cerakote firearms but sold my equipment or I would put a nice camo on it :)
-Jim

cockpitbob

Nicely organized system.  You do good work!

K7JLJ

Question: the one thing I'm not sure about is the powers supply connection.

I went off the front with a jumper instead of paralleling off the back with the DC input because I was afraid back feeding  the secondary might cause an issue.

Is that an unfounded fear?

-Jim

Jim Boswell

VERY NICE, VERY NICE, looks like you have thought of almost everything. Good idea about the spring clips for the top cover. I dare say you will make changes as you use the system in the field. Maybe add an external speaker and a headphone jack for high noise area. A good application of skills to make something function outside it's design window. Amateur radio needs new guys like you. VERY NICE, VERY NICE
73'S  KA5SIW

K7JLJ

Thanks Jim, my co-worker who's dad is a life long HAM saw it and said " you made your own, you will fit in with HAMs just fine. Lol

I'm sure you are right about tweaking it. I do plan on a headphone jack, external if the base speaker does not reach out of the box and an FM radio module for using car radios as speakers.
-Jim