MTR Clipboard.

Started by gil, December 09, 2014, 02:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Hello,

Dealing with a small CW radio sometimes means dealing with a bunch of wires, and something that is supposed to be portable becomes a messy tangle of cables. So I decided to use a clipboard to secure everything. Actually, two clipboards, a small one glued to a larger one. I had a flat eight-cell battery holder, perfect for the task. It fits perfectly above the smaller clipboard. I used epoxy to glue everything, except the Weber MTR itself, which is secured to the board with 3M Dual Lock fasteners. The American Morse DCP paddle is screwed to the clipboard.

I didn't do a very good job overall, but it is all very secure and works great! The only cable coming out of the clipboard is the antenna. I think I might also glue one of my Veho360 mini speakers to the board. What a difference it makes in ease of operation!

Gil.

cockpitbob

Very nice!  I have plans for something similar.

KK0G

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Joe

Simple and effective, looks god Gil..

Lamewolf

Hey Gil,  How well do you like that little DCP ?  Been thinking of ordering one.

gil

Hello,

Thanks guys.

The DCP paddles work great. You do need to keep the contacts clean, but I don't think you can find anything else that good for the price. They also need to be screwed on some kind of base. fortunately they do have a threaded hole in the center. Otherwise, you must use two hands, one finger to hold them down and your other hand to code. I even used my Rock-Mite 40 as a base before ;) So, I do recommend them.

Gil.

Lamewolf

Quote from: gil on January 22, 2015, 11:51:47 AM
Hello,

Thanks guys.

The DCP paddles work great. You do need to keep the contacts clean, but I don't think you can find anything else that good for the price. They also need to be screwed on some kind of base. fortunately they do have a threaded hole in the center. Otherwise, you must use two hands, one finger to hold them down and your other hand to code. I even used my Rock-Mite 40 as a base before ;) So, I do recommend them.

Gil.

I like your idea, and in fact, I have a clipboard with a steel plate glued to it that I use to attach a small homebrew paddle made of copper clad board that has peel and stick magnets on the bottom of it.  My paddle is made to fit inside an Altoids tin for storage.  The magnet material can be picked up at office supply stores such as Office Max.

KC8AON

gil

Good idea. I use 3M "Velcro" type fastening tape. I have my Palm mini paddle attached to the side of my K1 and it works perfectly. That's what I used to secure the MTR to the clipboard. It's not mean to be unfastened all the time, but it works great and doesn't leave any residue when you peel it off. I had some on  my KX3 and removed it without any damage. The paint better be good quality though, because that stuff is sticky! For my MTR I am thinking of the Palm Pico paddles, which should look great on the side of the case. Right now the DCP does the trick on the clipboard though, and it is at a better angle. For use without the clipboard the Palm Pico would be better...

Gil.