Intro

Started by BruceT, September 02, 2012, 12:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceT

Hello all,

I found my way here from SurvivalBlog. I am a total newb regarding anything to do with radio, but would like to learn and make communications a part of my family's preparations. I am a Unix system administrator by trade, so I have a fair amount of technical knowledge, and like to tinker with things. I purchased a set of Kenwood TK2100 MURS radios a few years ago, but have not done much with them other than testing the range with the kids around our neighborhood.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and hope I can learn from the more experienced folks on here!

- Bruce

bu2chlc

Are you a ham yet? I got my wife to take the plunge and she only needed to study 3 weekends and passed her tech the first try. I only ask if you have your license yet because the threshold to pass is quite low and just like taking your test for a drivers license, it just gets your foot in the door so to speak. Once you have your call sign, you can buy a small handheld, find a buddy and start playing around. It is fairly easy and VERY rewarding. If you have questions, feel free to ask me or anything or ham you can find. You will find we are almost always eager to help others.

Shoklar

I too am a radio newbe, but a long time prepper with a LOT of information to share. I bought my ARRL handbook a couple months ago, and just started reading it. I read about this site on Survivalblog.com, and I'm realy excited about it!

Sunflower

Quote from: Shoklar on September 02, 2012, 06:16:33 PM
I too am a radio newbe, but a long time prepper with a LOT of information to share. I bought my ARRL handbook a couple months ago, and just started reading it. I read about this site on Survivalblog.com, and I'm realy excited about it!
Where did you buy the ARRL Handbook? How much?