Copy Breakthrough!

Started by gil, December 16, 2012, 12:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

QuoteHat tip to gil again for the mention of that book.  It's a gotta-have and has been worth every penny.

You might want to thank Ray for the suggestion.
He suggested it to me..

Gil.

RadioRay

What is fun, are the number of 'ham clandestine' operators I bump into on the air - none in voice, some on PSK31 and most on CW.  One fellow was a WW II vet in a 'rest home'.  They let him keep his radio, probably not understanding that it was a transmitter/receiver.  His antenna wire was put up very carefully (and slowly?) under the eaves of the rest home and he just kept his mouth shut.  I tapped back to him "JUST LIKE THE OLD OSS."  Loved that . . .  These days some hams operate PSK31 and other digital modes, because a[eople are used to seeing internet chat via computer and the rigs are so small that nobody knows that you're actually on the air. Anything get the 'gestapo' away from your ham station.

Another more recent 'ham clandestine' contact was a fellow visiting his adult 'kids'. He had his ham rig using a wire loop pinned onto the ceiling of his guest room. No wire out the window allowed, because his 'kids' live in one of those Marxist "communities" who dictate what color of poodle you must have to live there . . . He had a workable signal in Morse and we had a great conversation and he had a 'sanity support device' while visiting.

Morse is the great equalizer, in that it requires so little power, is so inexpensive (RockMite transceivers start at under $30) and can be extremely portable, so much so that when mountaineers and other outdoor explorers are hams, they virtually always have Morse equipment, or none at all. Back when I was a major league mountain backpacker, I always had my little, homebrew QRP CW (Morse) transceiver.

-.-.  --.-       -.-.   --.-
De RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Well, I am a little bit clandestine as well... My antenna is a black wire up a tree. You can't see it unless you really look, and it's in the back of the house, which is surrounded by trees. I also use my magnetic loop antenna, and that is inside. Even my Buddistick has worked fine inside the house on the second floor. It is certainly possible. With a tuner, one can even load things that are not meant to be antennas. When I get the ATU for my KX3, I intend on trying to load everything I think might work..

Gil.

KC9TNH

Quote from: gil on February 05, 2013, 08:09:54 PM
You might want to thank Ray for the suggestion.
He suggested it to me..

Gil.
Well, awl-righty then!  ;D

děkuji

I was pretty clandestine as well initially. We have no covenants other than to be good neighbors and I wouldn't live in a place that required poodles, regardless of color. Speaker wire up into the tree from the 2nd story, counterpoise spread out. Life is good.

Had an old coax switch laying around and have lately been just running the 817 for CW because the old-style Collins filter I added to it is so much nicer than the digitally treated experience.

I'll have to find an old copy of Le Carre's The Looking Glass War - the protagonist in that would've given alot for anything like we're spoiled with now vs. the suitcase affair.

Thanks again Ray for the book suggestion.

RadioRay

To neni zac , pane'.       ;D

-...-

Yes - I supposed that there probably ARE a bunch of people running in PSK-31 as well, many clandestine hams.  The mode is such a clean RF envelope that it's not likely to modulate local entertainment devices, like voice would and it's pretty good at low power. 

That clandestine book is a fun 'coffee table' book and yes - what those guys would have done for a stack of ATS3B/C or KX3's . . . Even the average single band QRP rig is a marvel.  The ability to be entirely free of A.C. mains and heavy recharge requirements for their large batteries back the (if available) made looking 'normal' while transporting your transceiver of 35-40 pounds in a little valaise through checkpoints.  Also, many of the radio operators were women, because most men were either fighting, POW's or conscript labor - not wantering around the streets of continental & eastern , European cities... Also, the Germans tended to treat women well unless something MORE than mere suspicion was involved - which the communists were never did.  They were total bastards and still are. 

How did we get onto this topic?   ha ha

73 de RadioRay ..._ ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Someday, someone might just put a whole QRP rig in a chip.. I can't wait for that.. We already have tiny mixers and audio amps.. To pass a checkpoint, you'd just swallow it! LOL.

Gil.

cockpitbob

It's winter and the Gloucester, MA ham club is doing its annual Morse class.  One guy has been doing it for about 20 years.  To gauge progress and encourage people he gives the standard 5, 13 and 20wpm tests from old ARRL tapes and gives a certificate for 5wpm, a t-shirt for 13 and a sweatshirt for 20wpm.  Last weekend I passed the 13wpm and missed the 20wpm test by 1 question.  You can pass by either having 1 minute of perfect copy in the 5 minute tape, or get 7 of 10 questions right.  My concentration kept dropping so I didn't even get 1 minute of perfect copy at 13 much less 20.  The next class is in 2 weeks and starting this weekend I'm going to cram for the 20.

The certificates and logos on the shirts are a bit pretentious since they call Morse operators "the elite of ham radio".  Still, he has a point.  It's something you have to earn.  A rich guy can't just spend money and do 13wpm.  Even if you are super smart you can't just study for a couple weeks and do it.  It really is something you earn.