Programming Software for Yeasu Radios

Started by RichardSinFWTX, August 27, 2013, 01:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardSinFWTX

Greetings all,

I've got a question for the group.  I currently own a Yeasu FT-8900R and have the programming software for it.  I'm looking to buy an FT-857D in the next couple of months so I can join Army MARS here in Texas.  Will the programming software for the 8900 work with the 857? 

Forgive my newbiness!

73!

KK0G

To answer your question............. I have no idea 8) . But I will say welcome to the forum.

Someone will likely be on shortly that can answer your question.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RichardSinFWTX

Roger that!

I've got a buddy of mine with an 817 and an 857 and he says that the programming cable and the cable for the SignaLink are the same for both.  I'm hoping I can get away with not having to buy the programming software again if I can help it.

I'll keep an ear to the ground!

KC9TNH

First, welcome to the Forum. :)

That FT-family of 817/857/897 share some physical interfaces & pinouts on those connectors, so not surprised that a couple of the usual interface cables can be used between radios.  Yaesu's use of a 6-pin mini-DIN for example is pretty standard between those 3 radios.

However, given the diff between an 8x7 radio and the 8900R I'd be very surprised if the same application would take care of both.  (Maybe there's some Godzilla-like version of Ham Radio Deluxe that would do that.)
Are you looking to "control" the radio or just something to ease the loading of various freqs, repeater offsets, etc.?

Again, welcome.

RichardSinFWTX

Quote from: KC9TNH on August 27, 2013, 08:13:20 PM
First, welcome to the Forum. :)

That FT-family of 817/857/897 share some physical interfaces & pinouts on those connectors, so not surprised that a couple of the usual interface cables can be used between radios.  Yaesu's use of a 6-pin mini-DIN for example is pretty standard between those 3 radios.

However, given the diff between an 8x7 radio and the 8900R I'd be very surprised if the same application would take care of both.  (Maybe there's some Godzilla-like version of Ham Radio Deluxe that would do that.)
Are you looking to "control" the radio or just something to ease the loading of various freqs, repeater offsets, etc.?

Again, welcome.

Thanks!   ;D

In this particular case I'm thinking more along the lines of programming the radio (i.e. freqs, repeater offset, modes, etc.)

I'm going to use the FT-857 to do digital work most likely using FLDigi or HRD5x.

Quietguy

The free, open source, software CHIRP supports a huge number of radios including most of the Yaesus.  I haven't looked at it in awhile, but I think it saves settings in a CHIRP file and then translates that file to radio specific files.  As a result not all features in all radios are supported, but their website has a chart that summarizes and compares supported features for various models.  It's worth a shot if your Yaesu software doesn't work out.

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Wally

RichardSinFWTX

Yeah, I've got Chirp for my HT.  It works OK with my Wouxon.

Wow!  I just checked that link in Wally's reply and both my 8900 and the 857 are listed!  SWEET!!   ;D

KC9TNH

Good deal! Free stuff is good.  ;D

A head-slap on my part; I'd downloaded CHIRP awhile back checking on such things but never ran it 'cause I use the KG-Commander for my h/t. Duh.
::)

IT Tech

EACH PROGRAM IN THE YAESU LINE OF SOFTWARE PROGRAMMING IS DIFFERENT.

The software communicates with the radio and the frequency lists for each radio is different.

Personally, I use the G4HFQ software, it allows more options for the 8900R.

The Chirp is free - and you have to download one version for each transceiver.

The 8900 uses a mini 4 pin din plug - basically the same plug as used for a computer mouse.

I don't know what the other models uses.

KW4HKY

RT systems is the place to check. I will not buy a radio that does not have software available. I put IC V8000 radios in all my vehicles.

Yeasu 2900 is a lower end radio with awesome signal.

Luigi

I use the same version of Chirp for a Yeasu vx-8, Baofeng UV-82 and a Yeasu ft-897. No issues for me. Yeasu is a little bit odd on how to send the data to it. You need the radio to be in clone mode.

I hope the MARS thing works out. I think your radio can be easily modified for the MARCS frequencies.

Luigi