Something to do during thunder storm.

Started by linkclan, April 22, 2015, 06:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

linkclan

This is pretty cool, had to disconnect the radio due to T-storms and a big brown truck shows up with a down time project!

This will be the first time I have assembled a toy since my kids were young.

Just in case I failed at attaching the image, it's a brand new KX3!

Paul

KK0G

Sweet!! Let us know how it comes along (hint: photos 8) ).
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

cockpitbob

Welcome to owning the ultimate.  I'm jealous! ;D

Jim Boswell

Did you bring one for all of us?
     From what I hear that is one HOT radio. Maybe if I quit messing with by 1980's radios I could step into the present. Well I do have some newer Icoms, a 7200 and a 703, two good radios.
     I am very happy for you, please send us some photos. 73'S  KA5SIW

linkclan

Thunder and lightning last night but no rain which is what we really needed.

Of course, I put it together, it took about 4 hours and it was pretty easy except for the forcing of my big fingers to deal with little screws.

Will load firmware today and test it out only if Radio Shack has a BNC to UHF or a BNC to long wire converter. Can't believe this under-sight, thought I thought of everything. I did however round up the dongle converter so that my tablet will be its primary companion. Finally I have now found a use for that thing!

My only concern is; The "RATE" and "DISP" buttons flex the pc board and wobbles the VFO-B knob when pressed. Is this normal or did I miss a screw?

I took some pics of the assembly as it progressed and will post a little later as work still interferes with play.
Is it okay to post as attachments or should I use Photobucket? I know sometimes it is annoying to be pic heavy on a forum.

73-K6PLE

madball13

No worries about pics just dont make them huge. We would all love to see your progress. You can upload the pics to flickr and just paste the link between  that will automatically pull them in.

cockpitbob

linkclan

Here goes!

Inventory is the first thing the guide says to do.

All the stand-offs installed and the CP board is ready to install.

Hurray! It fit..... I mean, CP board is successfully in place ::)

RF board is finished and ready for cables. I decided against the charger as I am terrified of batteries melting down inside my new toy.

Just about done. That little piece of white wire came with the kit and I have no idea what it is for.

Finished at 1 AM. I'm going to bed.

Loaded firmware and fired it up in the morning and it actually worked! Still have to run to Radio Shack to find some BNC converters.

Paul-K6PLE

cockpitbob

KK0G

Cool, thanks for the photos. Looking at the interior of it I can definitely see the Elecraft family resemblance, a lot of similarities to my KX1 and K2.

I know what that white wire is; it's an insulated conductor.......... duh  8)
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

linkclan

There sure is a lot going on in this little radio!

I have already found my favorite item, the SPOT button. What a great feature! While tuning around last night, it made it super easy to dial into both sides of the QSO. Just amazes me how far out everybody is in their own conversation. The 897 was no help here.

Second favorite looks like it is going to be the filters. With only about 2% understanding of its operation, it is already light years ahead of my 897 even with the optional 500khz crystal roofing installed.

No third yet but the disappointments are the tinny audio, even with a good set of cans. Probably the biggest one is lack of support for Android devices. It would seem that this would be a "No Brain er" to have access to firmware, pan-adapter, logging, configuration, even remote control  through a smart phone or tablet. I did get a dongle for connection to my tablet and bought the KX3 Companion App but so far, I'm not impressed with that either.

The biggest drawback is my lack of sleep!
1AM again last night.

Paul-K6PLE

KK0G

My K2 has a spot button as well, works awesome and is very accurate. I don't use it all the time but it's very helpful to zero beat a signal dead on before I narrow up the filters to knife edge width. I've also noticed lots of hams not zero beat with each other but unless they're running extremely narrow filters it's seldom a problem.

KK0G

linkclan

New pic of the KX3 sleeping quarters!
The straight key doesn't go in there as it is already pretty heavy and running out of room but the rest of it consists of:

20ah battery, 27w soft solar panel, Distribution block, Powered speaker, Begali paddle (connects to KX3), Genius charger, QRP power regulator(13.8v), Numerous cables and adapters for charging and operation including USB chargers. Not-So-Random wire and counterpoise, 25ft coax. Spare set of Lithium batteries.

I know.... Its not going in a backpack but it will do a fine job with all the hotel camping I do.

Enjoy,
Paul-K6PLE

gil

Nice. Those Pelican cases are awesome.

Gil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk