Performance and SWR issues with the EZ Military whip from Alpha Antenna!!

Started by OliverWatt, March 24, 2016, 01:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OliverWatt

Since a long time, I was having a lot of performance issues and unstable SWR with the EZ Military whip from Alpha Antenna. I tried just about everything possible until I found the real problem: extremely poor manufacturing!!!

The truth came to light when a friend of mine (who tried to help me to fix the antenna) forwarded me the following two youtube videos that explain everything you've to know about the EZ Military:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKKOkCSzEBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r49Wy3j_CME

It's shocking!

Oliver

gil

I like the versatility of these antennas. I would only use one however if I was outputting at least 50W. Keep in mind they are not resonant and require a tuner. The weight is also pretty high. I can pack a LNR Precision trail end fed in my shirt pocket and not even feel it. Of course you need a tree or pole to deploy it. If you have a vehicle, then great, that means the weight isn't an issue and you have power for a bigger radio. To carry on foot, an end fed or Buddistick would be much lighter, but for temporary use only. It looks like the Chameleon could be a semi permanent affair, being more rugged... Just my $.02...
FB on mentioning Radio Preppers on the video!

Lamewolf

If you gotta use a tuner with it, wire is much much cheaper and much much lighter !  Trick and quazi military antennas are just a gimmick !

RichardSinFWTX

I'm using a tuner with my EZ Military whip and am seriously disappointed with it's results.  I still want to check the continuity of the sections.  I just haven't got around to it.

I mostly use a 6m - 40m end-fed that I got from KX3Helper.com.  It rocks!  I've worked all kinds of DX contacts as well as everything from both coasts from my place in DFW!  It rolls up nicely and fits in a ziplock sandwich bag!.

cockpitbob

I don't see how either antenna's slip joints ensure good contact.  Last summer I made myself a home-brew BuddiStick using tent poles.  I got rid of the bungee and modified the ends for brass screw threaded connections.

I did one field operation with a 63' long EFHW wire antenna in a tree and my 12' tall  vertical.  Naturally with 5 times the metal in the air, and much higher up, the wire outperformed the vertical.

gil

Carrying a long fiberglass pole with a wire end fed will beat a short vertical every time.. My choice is an end-fed with led swr indicator, a slingshot, and some fishing line and 1oz weight.

Gil.

OliverWatt

Quote from: gil on March 24, 2016, 05:21:04 AM
It looks like the Chameleon could be a semi permanent affair, being more rugged... Just my $.02...

Yes indeed!! The Chameleon seems to be very well made! A guy on youtube made a man-pack with it:
https://youtu.be/XVucGooqHcg

Oliver

OliverWatt

K7JLJ

I have the MPAS system and until recently didn't appreciate fully the versatility of it.  Normally I use the Milwhip mounted to my truck or 5th wheel bumper but I'm currently camped in a valley with several hundred meter high "mountains" on every side.

The milwhip just would not get out on 5W 80M so without movin (in RV park) I put up the wire in a sloper and got a good signal report.

Would a loop have gotten out? I doubt it since elevation seemed to be the real issue.

Speed and connivence when you need it (milwhip) and punch when you can setup the wire.

It's a good system and tunes easily on a ZM-2

I'm glad EZ Mil took STN up on the challenge, even more glad I made the choice I did without knowing all the facts.

- Jim
-Jim

RichardSinFWTX

Quote from: OliverWatt on March 25, 2016, 09:44:33 AM
Someone on the Survival Tech Nord youtube channel has the same issues: https://youtu.be/XXLVDTHz9GY

I just watch this and it's got me wondering about the continuity of the sections of the whip on my EZ-Military.

PVC parts?  Iffy continuity in the antenna sections?  Missing parts?  No wonder VbM doesn't allow comments on his videos that make it sound like this antenna is the Be-All and End-All.  I definitely haven't been impressed with mine.  No one's fault but mine.  I've learned this lesson.  Don't let it happen to you.

Lamewolf

[/quote]

Iffy continuity in the antenna sections?  [/quote]

I made a portable antenna once from a shock corded tent pole by doing a helical wrap with thin wire.  Didn't depend on the slip joints for contact, just left enough of the wire to bridge the gap and enough slack there to allow it to be broken down for travel.  Made a spike to ground mount it with and attach radials to and fed it at the bottom with my SGC-237 autotuner.  It was really a flimsy ordeal that would swing around wildly in the wind but it worked great - 16' long with about 75' of wire wound on it.  For NVIS work, I just bent it over into an upside down U and used a tent stake and nylon cord to hold it there.  Didn't cost me anything cause I found the pole laying in the middle of an alley behind where I worked !

OliverWatt

Quote from: RichardSinFWTX on March 25, 2016, 10:04:12 PM
I just watch this and it's got me wondering about the continuity of the sections of the whip on my EZ-Military.

PVC parts?  Iffy continuity in the antenna sections?  Missing parts?  No wonder VbM doesn't allow comments on his videos that make it sound like this antenna is the Be-All and End-All.  I definitely haven't been impressed with mine.  No one's fault but mine.  I've learned this lesson.  Don't let it happen to you.

VbM is doing the propaganda work for Alpha Antenna... It's clearly a marketing stunt because their products are total garbage! If you look closely, VbM is the only one to spam youtube with it. I just saw a guy who cut his own Alpha match in half to see what's inside...

https://youtu.be/IbLAeqqRdNc

It looks like something my 13 years old nephew would build for a school project...

- Oliver

OliverWatt

vwflyer