HF benfits for SHTF (only) use?

Started by Frosty, October 02, 2012, 11:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC9TNH

Quote from: RadioRay on October 03, 2012, 03:40:00 PM
"Uuuuuh - no Doctor - that looks like your Rolex, not a cervex.  Were you wearing a wrist watch at the time of the last procedure and ae you CERTAIN that you were still wearing it after you finished?"
    ::)

>de RadioRay ..._ ._
Do not view this man's posts with a mouthful of coffee...
8)

Frosty

Thanks for the input, much to (re)consider that I either didn't know, or had already dismissed as unnecessary or potentially dangerous.  Everyone's situation is different, in many different respects.  If it wasn't clear in my OP, wasn't debating the need for HF receive (that would be critical), just the ability to transmit.  I did pull down fldigi (thanks all who mentioned it in other posts), think I need to play with that on a rainy afternoon.  Finally, a reason to turn off "data skip" on my scanner ;)  fldigi already has a place in my 'survival apps' directory, for burning to my next personal 'survival DVD'. 

I got 7 mins into that video WA4STO, when the US entered the 'war'.  Was a CT in the Navy during that one, can't stand to watch how the media portrays what happened now so I had to turn it off.  Did read the rest of 9K2DZ's story online though.   He was fearless, I would not have done the same and put my family in jeopardy.  If I only had myself to worry about, or if I was planning on being highly mobile post-SHTF, it might be different.  I worked inside a dinsosaur cage for awhile during my Navy adventure, although in a group not directly related to their mission.  If you know their mission, then you have some insight on where I'm coming from with my licensing / transmitting thoughts.  Your points are all valid, we are just taking different routes to mitigate their effects if that ever happened I think.

Floods count KC9TNH, hard to believe the evac order wasn't communicated in the same detail by different means (NOAA/EAS at least).  But then if you have access to a Hurricane Watch Net, why bother watching the TV weatherbunny?  Skywarn around here is great, I've thought of making an anonymous donation to a couple local ham clubs to help fund their efforts.  Might be time to quit thinking about it and just do it.

It was your post on medicine that made me think to add the 'ham physician' comment piggybankcowboy.  I'd gladly pay to put a doctor on retainer now for SHTF medical advice later. 

Ray, your 350 mile pancake coverage makes the most compelling case of why I might need this.  I need to do some homework before I can ask some intelligent questions regarding it. 

Much to consider, much to research.  Thanks for the feedback/input.

WA4STO

Frosty -- I remain absolutely amazed at how many CTs (along with the Army and Air Force versions of same) there are. 

Back in the 70s and 80s, it wasn't so amazing, particularly if you knew Morse Code since it was still kinda/sorta being used.

Were you an R-brancher?  I was at first, from Correy Field, Pensacola, until NAVCOMMSTA cheltenham.  Then I went to Defense Language Institute, Monterey and -- voila -- I was an I-brancher at NSA. Whoopie.

It's what got me into ham radio.  There I was a teenager (easily frustrated) and was totally pissed that I couldn't talk back to the folks I was listening in to.  Argh!!  A Novice ticket in 1970 fixed that.

73 de WA4STO

KC9TNH

Quote from: Frosty on October 04, 2012, 08:12:47 AMFloods count KC9TNH, hard to believe the evac order wasn't communicated in the same detail by different means (NOAA/EAS at least).  But then if you have access to a Hurricane Watch Net, why bother watching the TV weatherbunny?  Skywarn around here is great, I've thought of making an anonymous donation to a couple local ham clubs to help fund their efforts.  Might be time to quit thinking about it and just do it.
Yeah, I didn't dig deeply into the why's of "who shot John?" but it was clear there were some areas that were w/o much of anything that might've had its weakest link needing com'l power. These gents had big batts & HF. I'm GUESSING but the info did come out of the local auth - probably shot at the same time to their state HF net - but was passed along up to the HWN. Alot of the HWN controllers also work the MMSN.  The HWN is only fired up when they can or really need it; OTOH lots of folks checked into the MMSN with reports or looking for info and it was read verbatim from the NCS off the Nat'l Hurr Ctr bulletin along with the maritime weather. When HWN is active other net frequency nets tell people to go up there (14325) to provide the first-hand reports & HWN gladly takes them.  But if HWN has to take a "break" one of the 14300 nets will provide the info back out as they get it. As it turns out people are listening, and sometimes they call back to say thanks, or to confirm that someone came by and said they need to un-ass the AO for a bit & in a hurry.

This kind of stuff can be pretty dynamic & fast developing, like the proverbial knife fight in a phone booth. Good NCS operators who can keep their head are of value.

RE your SKYWARN comment:  First, from another SKYWARN knucklehead, thanks & please support your local group. Local SKYWARN groups typically do this from one motivation, that of community. They can get training from their local NOAA/NWS office, but get no G$. They VERY seldom get anything from their local county emergency mgmt people either, except a mention when something goes RIGHT and the county functionary gets to take credit. Not all are like that, but SKYWARN isn't big on anyone's radar. Sad part is, those who really need the info most about fast-changing weather from boots on ground (BOG) are often those most easily devastated by a weather event, economically or simply by the structure/location of their home.

Follow your instincts: Buy one of their raffle tickets, donate a few bucks to help 'em get hi-vis gear for when they're out spotting. Our county only provided a few hand-me-down POS bricks for radios, that are now DOA due to narrow-banding changes. We said to hell with them and, since the nearby NOAA office fires up its 75M HF station in an event, we have some folks using a pretty good 2m system in the area and a few folks with base stations with multiple band capability. Several licensed folks also simply thru down the gauntlet to the other members and said "Here's $15. If you'll promise to study and at least TRY to do your best - AND - when you pass the Tech at least TRY to pass the General, I'll flip for your exam fee. Here's the books, online resources, call me about anything." Not fancy, but as Stalin said "quantity has a quality all its own." Baofengs & Wouxons are breeding.  8)

Frosty

Small world WA4STO.  Mat-man here.  Went to BEE school and CTM "A" at Corey, circa '88.  Struggled through the universally dreaded "Section 700: Antennas" along with everyone else.  Never touched one after that, nor much with our receivers in the field as they were one of the few components of our system that never broke.  Did spend some time in the comm shack tho, but for moral calls home mostly (being a M brancher had some advantages).  Only worked regularly with T-branchers, and a couple O's.  The T's were taught morse in either their A or C school, but none ever rubbed off on me.

KC9TNH - No problem, and I'm sold on a donation now.  If you want to DF me, just ask around in a couple weeks which groups got $20 in an envelope with no return address.  I'm somewhere between the two ;)  Keep looking at the Baofengs myself, not real happy with Puxings and wouldn't recommend them.  Take care.

underhill

Quote from: KC9TNH on October 03, 2012, 06:32:39 PM
Quote from: RadioRay on October 03, 2012, 03:40:00 PM
"Uuuuuh - no Doctor - that looks like your Rolex, not a cervex.  Were you wearing a wrist watch at the time of the last procedure and ae you CERTAIN that you were still wearing it after you finished?"
    ::)

>de RadioRay ..._ ._
Do not view this man's posts with a mouthful of coffee...
8)

Truer words have not been spoken ;)

Underhill

Quietus

Quote from: Frosty on October 04, 2012, 08:12:47 AM

It was your post on medicine that made me think to add the 'ham physician' comment piggybankcowboy.  I'd gladly pay to put a doctor on retainer now for SHTF medical advice la

There's other medical issue options for you out there.  I'd suggest cultivating a relationship with a vet who works on large animals, who might be brought into your network of like-minded folks.  Another option is to find and cultivate a relationship with an 18D in your area.

Either of those choices might be preferred to MD advice IMO, but at any rate, the finding of those people is a good thing to do in the age of Obamacare.

White Tiger

Quote from: Quietus on October 04, 2012, 09:22:34 PM
Quote from: Frosty on October 04, 2012, 08:12:47 AM

It was your post on medicine that made me think to add the 'ham physician' comment piggybankcowboy.  I'd gladly pay to put a doctor on retainer now for SHTF medical advice la

There's other medical issue options for you out there.  I'd suggest cultivating a relationship with a vet who works on large animals, who might be brought into your network of like-minded folks.  Another option is to find and cultivate a relationship with an 18D in your area.

Either of those choices might be preferred to MD advice IMO, but at any rate, the finding of those people is a good thing to do in the age of Obamacare.

Along these lines - anyone thought about what you would do about antibiotics after an SHTF event ?

For any who are not aware, check this out: CalIfornia Veterinary Supply.
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.