Call Signs

Started by Geek, April 21, 2013, 09:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geek

I have two questions about call signs.  First I got a call sign when I went through the GMRS licensing process and then got another call sign with the Ham license.  Having two is a memory challenge.  Can I use my Ham call sign on the GMRS frequencies?  Is there some way to get rid of the extra call sign?  Second, there seems to be a push to sell me a "custom" call sign, which I gather is somewhat like a vanity plate on a car.  Is there any advantage to one of these?  Would it solve my multiple call sign problem?

RadioRay

Unfortunately no.  The FCC has various radio 'services' and they are considered entirely distinct.  For example, my maritime radio HF license has a call and I'm even good for Morse (special endorsement) and a few other things as well as the standard SSB voice.  But I must use my maritime callsign there and my ham callsign on the ham bands. 

You get used to it.   In fact, as you meet more hams , you'll find that you never know their last names, often know their first, but ALWAYS knows their callsigns. ha ha

>de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Quietguy

Quote from: Geek on April 21, 2013, 09:01:40 PMthere seems to be a push to sell me a "custom" call sign, which I gather is somewhat like a vanity plate on a car.  Is there any advantage to one of these?

To add to RadioRay's response, a ham "Vanity" call can be useful if you aren't attached to your issued call.  My first call as a Technician was hard for me to say because of the specific tongue-twister combination of letters.  After putting up with it for awhile I got disgusted enough to get a Vanity call using my initials... I figured I could remember those. When I moved from California to Washington I switched from a district 6 call to a district 7 call to celebrate.  After I made Extra I was lucky enough to get a district 7 2x1 call with my initials... I figure I'll keep that one.

So, yes... it can be nice to get a Vanity call if you can find one that you like better than your issued call.  Just don't wait until you have used your old call so long that nobody will know who you are if you change.

Wally

Geek

KC9TNH

Quote from: RadioRay on April 21, 2013, 10:02:38 PM
Unfortunately no.  The FCC has various radio 'services' and they are considered entirely distinct.  For example, my maritime radio HF license has a call and I'm even good for Morse (special endorsement) and a few other things as well as the standard SSB voice.  But I must use my maritime callsign there and my ham callsign on the ham bands. 

You get used to it.   In fact, as you meet more hams , you'll find that you never know their last names, often know their first, but ALWAYS knows their callsigns. ha ha

>de RadioRay ..._ ._
LOL. Reminds me of Raul Julia in the movie "Tequila Sunrise", with an H/T in each hand, one to his supposed LE subordinates, the other to his real drug smuggler amigos. As he says to Mel Gibson, "I talk into the wrong one of these buddy and we're in real trouble."

I hear vessels checking in all the time to MMSN mistakenly with the ship's station call; quickly forgiven, traffic moves on.

Some folks will even pick their calls based on their avocation; many CW DX'ers will seek calls that are 'dit-heavy', ergo shorter. Others, the call has a certain rhythm to it when heard CW & doesn't make sense until played to the ear.

I always thought Geoff's call had a nice flow to it; AE4RV, he of the Virtual Bug

Standard phonetics could stand a slight update imo; the one letter in my call that routinely gives non-English speakers a pause is November so it sometimes becomes Norway, and it helps to know what your district number is in a few languages. Not really a DX-chaser here, just observations over time.

A vanity call is a commodity, for sale, if it's on the shelf. Pick the one you want for the reason you want it.

:)

gil

Whe  you move to another state/region, can you keep the same call sign?

Gil.

WA4STO

You bet you can.

The only rub is that you are required (by Part 97 regs) to provide some sort of address that will allow the FCC to contact you.

My own address (see QRZ.com), for example, is not where I live, but it still allows the FCC to contact me.  Eventually.

73 de Luck, WA4STO

wa1gon

Greetings everyone,

I am new here but I am going to jump in with both feet.

There is a very good reason for a General or Extra class prepper to have a vanity call sign.  That is to get a call sign area outside your own call area.  This is because if TSHTF and there are MZBs (Mutant Zombie Bikers) that can do RDF (Radio Direction Finding which isn't hard) on HF they very will may not even try a distant call area.

Quote from: Geek on April 21, 2013, 09:01:40 PM
Second, there seems to be a push to sell me a "custom" call sign, which I gather is somewhat like a vanity plate on a car.  Is there any advantage to one of these?  Would it solve my multiple call sign problem?

gil

QuoteThis is because if TSHTF and there are MZBs (Mutant Zombie Bikers) that can do RDF (Radio Direction Finding which isn't hard) on HF they very will may not even try a distant call area.

I'd say that is extremely unlikely...

Gil.

s2man

I want a vanity call sign for the reasons Wally listed. My last three letters are a tongue twister and they all have the long E sound. KD0VBG.  I have to say it very slowly for folks to copy. Veee, Beee, Geee.

I'll keep the November issue in mind.

A nice, short 2x1 call is almost enough reason to go for the Extra class license ;-)

KC9TNH

Quote from: s2man on May 25, 2013, 06:37:40 AM
I want a vanity call sign for the reasons Wally listed. My last three letters are a tongue twister and they all have the long E sound. KD0VBG.  I have to say it very slowly for folks to copy. Veee, Beee, Geee.
Do they still have trouble copying when you say it phonetically?  8)

s2man

Ha!  I left that one out.  No, 100% copy on phonetics. 

Though, out here in the country, phonetics are often along the lines of Walter, Todd or Frank.  ;-)

Frosty

Quote from: gil on May 24, 2013, 11:09:11 PM
QuoteThis is because if TSHTF and there are MZBs (Mutant Zombie Bikers) that can do RDF (Radio Direction Finding which isn't hard) on HF they very will may not even try a distant call area.

I'd say that is extremely unlikely...

Gil.

A group of genetically grotesque ghouls riding Yama-Yagi's? 

Hey, it could happen.

KK0G

Quote from: s2man on May 25, 2013, 06:37:40 AM

I'll keep the November issue in mind.

Yeah, that one's a lot of dits and dahs in CW, I don't blame you for wanting a vanity call ;D

Quote from: s2man on May 25, 2013, 06:37:40 AMA nice, short 2x1 call is almost enough reason to go for the Extra class license ;-)

Yep, that's half the reason I upgraded to Extra. That and zero privilege restrictions anywhere in the amateur spectrum.

By the way, my call is a vanity. I believe (at least in the zero call area) that the only way to get a 1x2 or 2x1 call is via vanity.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

One of the main reasons for me to get the Extra right from the start was to get a shorter call-sign. I was even ready to ask for a vanity call if I didn't like the one assigned to me, which is a 2x2, but I did... I certainly did not want a 2x3 since I only operate CW.

Gil.