1-Watter Small Morse Code Radio Build.

Started by gil, September 19, 2016, 06:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

It's in the mail! I chose the 80m version after much inner debate. It will be a nice complement to my MTR which covers 40/30/20m. The coverage is only about 4kHz but that's all you need..

http://kitsandparts.com/1watter-V3.php

Same price as a Rock-Mite but with filtering and tuning, awesome! I have a feeling it won't be my last one.. They are available from 15 to 160m. I still want to re-build a Rock-Mite 30, but the 1-Watter is more bang for the buck. With a Hammond cast aluminum case it will make a nice rugged NVIS QRP rig. I will pair it with 135ft of copper clad steel wire from the Wireman and an 80m end-fed tuner from SotaBeams.

Stay tuned for the build on this thread...

Gil.

cockpitbob

Well...... is it built yet?

I took a closer look at the kit and it looks like you have to buy your own pots, connectors, etc., so the price is significantly larger than the $47USD.  Do you know how much your final cost is/will be?

gil

The kit is missing some components, a few capacitors and a voltage regulator.. I've had components missing from kits before but this is a bit much. I'll finish soldering the rest of the components this week to make sure nothing else is missing, then email the seller.

All pots, connectors and button are included.

Gil

Sent from my A1-830 using Tapatalk

cockpitbob

I really want to build an 80m one to complement my 40/30/20 MTR.  It's good to know I won't have to chase around for knobs and switches.  The only thing stopping me is...time.

I can't wait to hear your review of it.

gil

That was my point as well, a perfect addition to my MTR. They shipped the kit very quickly, so the missing components should get here fast too. I just need to finish the kit to make sure nothing else is missing.. Or maybe take inventory.. So far the build is very straightforward and simple..

Gil.

Sent from my A1-830 using Tapatalk

gil

I made some progress on the 1-Watter tonight, almost finishing it. Four band-specific capacitors of the same value are missing from the kit. I emailed Kits & Parts and got a reply within ten minutes promising to send them right away, excellent... I just noticed one of my crystals is crooked, oh well, I'll fix that next time. I am still scratching my head as to how to build T5 from the directions...

I have wound this type of core before but I forgot how to do it and how to count the turns. If anyone reading this has an idea..?

If all goes well I'll probably get one for 30m.

Gil.

cockpitbob

Hi Gil,
1 pass through both holes is 1 turn for the binocular cores. 
Your 3rd pic shows 1 turn of #30 wire.  Assuming all you did next is pass each leg through one hole, then the 4th pic shows 2 turns of #30 wire.

gil

Thanks Bob! I'll get back to it when I receive the missing caps...

Gil

gil

Hello,

I finished the 1-Watter 80 #806 today... The receiver works fine but unfortunately it does not transmit...

I hate troubleshooting...

Gil.

gil

It's alive! I reheated a few suspicious solder joints and turned the power adjustable resistor all the way up and RF is getting out! Now comes the hard part, putting it in a box. I have a Hammond 29830PSLA die-cast aluminum case. It's bigger than my MTR3b but oh well, still a small box. Now I'll have 80m as well as 20/30/40. I'll put a button to use as an emergency key as well. There is no space in the case for batteries.

I'll make a video when it's all done.

Gil.

cockpitbob

Really nice!  Have you measured the actual frequency adjustment range?  I assume it's centered on the QRP calling freq.

gil

Thanks, not yet. I don't have the correct tuning potentiometer...

Gil.

gil

It's in the case... Still don't have the correct tuning potentiometer but oh well. I am missing the DC plug as well. Sometimes you just have to go ahead and do it... I will shorten the wires and solder them now. The case is a Hammond 29830PSLA Eddystone.

The kit is quite a bit larger than a Rock-Mite, especially in that case, but you can tune around the crystal frequency a bit and it has filtering! The best bang for your bucks QRP kit out there IMHO.

Gil.