Started by freax, January 10, 2015, 05:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freax

*Censored*

ttabs

Everyone has their own definition of a 'bugout vehicle'.  Here's a good point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTJXaxROOuE

Luigi

A fully fueled minivan or a pickup truck is probably more ideal. Sorry folks. I am going with off the shelf products. You probably do not really want to stick out like a sore thumb.

That Mythbusters video was awesome. I know several people how probably should not be driving one of those in traffic.
Luigi

cockpitbob

Simple 4WD SUV for me.  As Luigi says, I don't want to stick out.
Ideally I'd have a bicycle in the back for when the fuel runs out or the road becomes impassable.  A bicycle (with a fit rider) is truly an all terrain vehicle that can take you 50 - 100 miles/day.

NCGunDude

A good set of ski googles, or polarized driving glasses will do better in fog/snow/rain conditions than fog lights.

The problem is the reflected light from the precip, which the lenses take out of the equation.

I'm looking at nutnfancy's debunking bug out vehicles and researching compact SUV's for if/when I need to replace our V6 minivan with tow hitch. It looks like maybe the Toyota Rav4 with a 6 cyl.

gil

Hey Freax, slow down man  :o

LOL, you should wrote a book!

Gil.

cockpitbob

I'm going low-tech and repairable.  If this was 1980 I'd have 2 or 3 VW Beatles, maybe one configured as a dune buggy.  Ultra-simple (no cooling system and almost no electrical system), light, fuel efficient and very repairable.  Back then parts were cheap and plentaful.  I haven't quite decided what the modern equivalent is.  Everything these days is over-stuffed with technology. 

NavySEAL

Wonder how many and how big are the solar panels and how long to fully charge an electric car.

ciphercomms

Either very large array of panels or a very long time...or both.

How 'bout an on-board or trailer-towed wood gas generator to run the family sedan ? There are plenty of examples out there. You won't do 0-60 in eight seconds any more, and it won't hit 125 mph anymore...but they do work and they're not very complicated.

And I've toyed with the idea of getting a magneto ignition conversion kit and socking it away in a tin box.

Bio-diesel seemed promising at first glance but requires intermediate chemicals to convert fat or oil into usable diesel...and those intermediate chemicals might be hard to come by.