Getting an old workhorse back on the air

Started by raybiker73, September 07, 2013, 12:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raybiker73

I was thinking I might have gotten myself in over my head with this one (a VERY used Heathkit HW-101), but so far, so good. After two weeks, I've determined that all the guts are to spec, all the tubes are good, and with any luck I'll have it on the air this weekend! The hardest part so far was just cleaning it - it looked like a family of spiders had set up a homestead many generations ago and built themselves one hell of an advanced civilization, but I went all Chicxulub on them and they have now passed from history.

Front panel. Apparently, the previous owner wasn't into the whole "hand washing" thing:

The guts were pretty messy, but now they're looking much better:

KK0G

Looks like a fun project Ray, let us know how it turns out.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

cockpitbob

Just the kick in the pants I've been looking for!  3 years ago a friend gave me a cosmetically beautiful HW-101 that has sat in the basement since.

It was given to him and he never turned it on so I'm sure it hasn't run in 10 years.  All I've done is hook the power supply up to a Variac and slowly turn the power up over 2 days to re-form the electrolytics and nothing smoked :) .  I can't start on it for a few weeks but I'm going to make this my fall project.

gil

Makes me want to get back to my Gonset Communnicator III restoration! It does work but needs new capacitors and some cosmetic work...

Great job Ray!

Gil.

KC9TNH

Very nice clean-up indeed. I think RadioRay mentioned TAPRN at 0100Z Sundays, 7.242 (up for QRM). Would be a good debut.

Looking at the nice job inside reminds me I have a bunch of 12AX7s & a couple 12AT7s laying around somewhere in the basement in one of those spots I put them so I wouldn't forget.  ::) Someone doing a restoration could probably use those...

raybiker73

I've been thinking of checking out the TAPRN net anyway, so this gives me a good excuse!  :D

Gil, I love that old Gonset Communicator. I'd love to have one of those. Hope you get it on the air!

Archangel320420

Very nice, Ray! My old Drake TR4C and L4B still function :::: knock on wood :::::: I have managed to keep that stuff working over the years some how. Found a place that had a replacement relay switch which was my last problem with the duck.

That 101 is sweet!