I Was READY To Go SSB ...

Started by RadioRay, October 03, 2013, 04:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

... when I saw THIS: frequency hopping for Icom radios!

http://home.lizzy.com.au/syntor/Skippy.html

Then some damned lawyers got involved (read the fine print at the bottom).

>de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KC9TNH

Most folks aren't gonna get their radio into a +- 3Hz tolerance anyway, are they? (Seeing the FAQ)

You could  buy alot of Motorola DTR's for your tribe for the cost of their license & bureaucratic permission for one unit.

KK0G

Very cool! To bad it's only available for IC-706 and IC-7000, and that it requires 3 Hz precision - that's tight! It's all a moot point though since it would be damn near impossible to import. If I understand it correctly the hopping is done on a single band? Of course its Achilles heel is that it relies on GPS signals for syncing, that could be shut down in milliseconds.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RadioRay

Yeah - this was posted more for the fun factor than anything else.  Actually the Icom (?) manpack has had voice encryption and hopping for at least ten years, maybe more as an off the shelf item.  Naturally you'd need matched systems, but it would be FUN to operate on 20 m during a world wide contest, in fast hop Morse code ... with - say- 20 millisecond dwell per random 'channel' 256 channels DES sequenced  spread over the entire band, You're not interfering and other than a three letter agency, who would know that you're there?  moo-ha-ha-ha! Nice QRP rag chews during the worst contests. 

>Ray
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry