KX1 Antenna Binding Post Mod

Started by KK0G, November 10, 2013, 12:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK0G

Since the addition of the ATU in my KX1, and the fact that when operating portable I use an EFHW antenna fed directly with no feed line, I've been wanting to install a set of binding posts to eliminate the need for a BNC adapter. Anyone who's built a KX1 knows that it's a very tight fit inside it's case with minimal room for anything else. After lots of measuring and calculating then re-measuring and re-calculating, I think I've located the spots for the posts. Since I put a fair amount of work into it I though maybe someone else might benefit from it. I figured these dimensions for the smallest binding posts I could locate: Radio Shack #274-661.

CAUTION!!: I have not yet drilled these holes and installed posts, I'm still waiting on nylon shouldered washers to insulate the posts from the case, this is simply the results of my measuring. Obviously none of these rigs are mass produced and each builder may build his slightly different so verify before attacking your case with a drill. Oh, and I could have made a mistake........ use at your own risk.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RadioRay

Good call!  Reduction/elimination of cables, connectors and adapters will greatly enhance your rig's survivability in the field.

>Ray
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

Well my pristine KX1 chassis now has two holes drilled in it.............. yes I measured correct. It's a tight fit but doable and definitely worth the effort.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G