Google+ Community Plug

Started by RichardSinFWTX, April 15, 2014, 10:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardSinFWTX

Hey guys...

I don't know if it's bad form to plug another venue here; but for those of you on Google+ there's a community out there called "RaDAR".  It stands for "Rapid Deployment Amateur Radio".  In my opinion it's a sister organization for us.  It's all about being mobile with our communications gear.  I know we all love operating from home or from our BOLs; but what about between points A and B?

On the first Saturday of each month we all take to the air for our own little mini-sprint contests seeking out other RaDAR members.  They only last a couple of hours, from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM (CDT).  The April and November contests are a little longer, 4 hours (9:00 - 1:00 CDT).  The central idea is kinda what I call "shoot and scoot".  You set up your gear preferably at some remote location (I use nearby city parks) and take to the airwaves.  After making five successful contacts you tear down and move to another site and repeat.  It's good practice getting your gear up and down efficiently.  It can also help you lighten the load.  You'll find out what things you really need and what things you can live without, which can help in a bug-out situation.

If you're interested, check it out at:  https://plus.google.com/communities/109283065808971118728

I just wanted to make you guys aware of it.  My apologies if I've wasted your time and/or if I've committed a mortal sin.  :)