Building the Weber MTR-5B.

Started by gil, July 30, 2015, 05:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

It's here!

The Weber MTR (Mountain Top Radio) five-band CW transceiver kit #075 was delivered today to my mailbox :D Only 100 were produced, 98 for sale. I think they sold out in about 45 minutes. I placed my order at T+35min and was one of the last ones to get one. Ray tried ten minutes later and was too late (He has my original MTR now as consolation!).

Steve Weber really outdid himself with this one. We get five bands, 40/30/20/17/15m but I ordered the components from Mouser last night to make it an 80/40/30/20/15m radio. I wanted 80m for NVIS at night, even though a 135ft. antenna is a bit of a hurdle, but for NVIS you string it horizontally, so we'll see.. We also get an LCD, and the possibility to use an encoder for switching frequency. I ordered one but I am not sure I'll use it. Maybe I'll put in a jack for an external one, mounted in some battery pack.. Or I'll get a bigger case than the Hammond 1590BB and integrate everything; ah, choices...

Looking at the board has me scared. I've built two MTRs but the microscopic size of the integrated circuits pads is something to behold. I use a fine tip soldering iron, not a hot air station and soldering paste.

I will start tonight, but since I don't have the 80m parts (listed below), I can't set-up that band. Yet, I could finish it without them and use the four other bands for testing. I also ordered a DSO138 tiny oscilloscope kit on Ebay for $22! It's only good for audio frequencies but will allow me to align my new MTR per the manual. I can also use it to troubleshoot my lack of modulation in my BitX20 kit; so, $22 is a bargain for the help it will provide.

Also planned is a touch keyer inside the case with nice gold plated paddles 8) I'll just have to wear a big gold chain around my neck and sunglasses to match ::)

Gil.

80m parts:

• 220pf COG 50V (80-C0805C221J5G)[1]
  • 15pf COG 50V (581-08055A150FAT2A)[1]
  • 100pf COG 50V (77-VJ0805A101GXAPBC)[2]
  • 680pf COG 100V (581-12061A681J)[4]
  • 18uH (810-MLF2012C180K)[2]
  • Encoder (652-PEC11R-4215F-S24)[1]
  • Magnet wire #32AUG
I sure hope those are the right choices and that I didn't forget anything!
Photo: Quarter at the bottom for size..

madball13

fantastic Gil.

if LNR makes one I'll most likely but it but I do like the 80m option

gil

Thanks. I started with the most difficult parts, U8 and U9, tiny integrated circuits. I can't even see the pads with the naked eye. The previous MTRs did not have components that size. Soldering them with a soldering iron is an exercise in futility. I got U8 down, now doing U9. After those two it should be smooth sailing. I use a powerful magnifying lens in my left hand, the soldering iron in my right, and a flashlight in my mouth :o

Gil.

cockpitbob

Good luck with the build!  80/40/30/20/15 is my ideal.  Everything from Dx to NVIS.  I bet the LCD is going to be really nice.  My TenTec R4020 has one and it's really nice to have all the key information right there in front of you.

Rescue9

One quick solution for the small parts for those who don't want to hot-air is to dab a bit of solder paste on a corner and tack the chip in place. Then you can more easily drag solder the rest of the sides without the chip sliding. After losing g my MCU and frying  some traces on one of my mcHF boards I was shown this little technique.

RadioRay

For fine work - at work - I use a 'document camera' from Amazon

...and watch the display on my laptop.  That way, i have a HUGE display for calibrations and repairs.

I REALLY like my 'new' MTR 2 Bander, and it's fun to know that I've already sent a lot of code through it on receive, when Gil was using it for our skeds.   

>RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

cockpitbob

I use a 5x magnifying visor and a desk lamp.  I like the visor because I can move my head around the work instead of having to position the work under the magnifyer.

Good luck with those fine pitch ICs.  I hate being at the mercy of surface tension.

Will this one allow digital modes?

gil

Hello,

No digital modes on this one, CW only. I wish I had better magnification, but the hard parts are over. I soldered most of the semiconductors. This kit is not a two-sessions project.. It will take a bit longer because I don't want to make any mistakes. I know if it does not work at first try it will be because of a bad solder joint or a bridge on an IC. My 80m parts will he here on Monday. I'll have to be very careful moving all the relevant parts one slot to accomodate for 80m and eliminate 17m. I have a Hammond 1590BB for case, but Ray made me think of a waterproof case, so I will be exploring that option. I will do a bit every day until the project is finished. The mini DSO138 oscilloscope kit should arrive just in time for tuning adjustments.

I plan on a camping trip for testing, especially on 80m with my Sotabeam tuner and 135ft of wire. The Myakka State Park here has a 76ft wooden tower with a viewing platform on top, and I think it would be great to throw my wire from the top and secure it down below as a sloper. I can also dangle my 20/40m wire straight down.

Gil.

gil

Hello,

I have been thiking about the case issue. The Hammond case is great but the MTR-5B with the LCD is pretty vulnerable, not to mention all the holes in the case for the switches and various connections. I looked into Pelican cases and noticed the #1120. It's big... Much bigger than need, but... It could include the batteries. Interior Dimensions (inches): 7.25 x 4.75 x 3.06. The MTR fits in a 4x3" box. The Pelican 1010 is an option too, but I am not sure fitting a front panel would be easy with the liner removed. I'll attach photos of an 1120 with a front panel. Suggestions?

Gil.

RadioRay

I hope to install my MTR2, efhw tuner w/Tayloe SWR indicator, batteries w/lid mounted solar trickle charger, space for headphones and etc. in this -

http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Waterproof-Portable-Speaker-Orange/dp/B003H3JJZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438484766&sr=8-1&keywords=iPod+waterproof+speaker+case

- I'm OK with it being 'larger' because with the ability to not use so many wires, connectors and etc. all inside of a fully watertight case with a speaker - priceless.

I'll likely use the touch keyer on the outside and a watertight BNC so that I can send in the rain - because these things HAPPEN!

73 de RadioRay ..._  ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

I remember you showed that one to me. It would be interesting for sure. I assume you'd have to open the box to change bands?

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: RadioRay on August 01, 2015, 11:13:31 PM
I hope to install my MTR2, efhw tuner w/Tayloe SWR indicator, batteries w/lid mounted solar trickle charger, space for headphones and etc. in this -

http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Waterproof-Portable-Speaker-Orange/dp/B003H3JJZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438484766&sr=8-1&keywords=iPod+waterproof+speaker+case

- I'm OK with it being 'larger' because with the ability to not use so many wires, connectors and etc. all inside of a fully watertight case with a speaker - priceless.

I'll likely use the touch keyer on the outside and a watertight BNC so that I can send in the rain - because these things HAPPEN!

73 de RadioRay ..._  ._

Damn you Ray, I thought I had my MTR set up exactly how I wanted it and then you go and post this........ now I'm gonna have to order one of these so I have a project for this winter. That thing is cool!

True, it'll make the whole package a little bigger but not that much bigger and I think the advantages of having a shock resistant, waterproof case outweigh the slight increase in size. I see they also make the ECOXPRO which appears to be same thing with the addition of a waterproof 3.5mm phone jack. Definitely keep us updated on your progress of this project.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

Hello,

I ordered the Pelican 1120 with the front panel frame.. I want to check the size.. If it isn't too big, I might go for it.

Also planned are those AA battery holders: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=BX0027virtualkey15070000virtualkey122-BX0027. I would also add a small speaker and a touch keyer.

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: gil on August 02, 2015, 01:05:10 PM
Hello,

I ordered the Pelican 1120 with the front panel frame.. I want to check the size.. If it isn't too big, I might go for it.

Also planned are those AA battery holders: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=BX0027virtualkey15070000virtualkey122-BX0027. I would also add a small speaker and a touch keyer.

Gil.

I like that battery tray, thanks for the link Gil.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

Well, I am probably the first one to finish an MTR-5B!

It sort of works, except for the receiver. The microprocessor works. I did the BFO adjustment by ear (still waiting for the DSO138). I get a slight hiss in my powered speaker. I get slightly more hiss when pluggin in an antenna, even hear some faint noise/voices? I do get some RF output when transmitting, but haven't bothered peaking it yet.

Here is the problem: Changing the frequency with the up/down buttons does not seem to change the frequency at all, except on the LCD. I went to 7047.5 to peak on W1AW which I could hear on my K1, nothing.. Turning the band variable caps doesn't seem to do much either, if anything.

What could it be?

Gil.

BTW I took care of the bridge on the bottom above the C53 marking.