Yaesu 817 vs 857 / 5W vs 100W

Started by CroPrepper, March 02, 2018, 08:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ve3ips

The FT-891 is a great alternative as you can just leave it at 5 w and if you need more just dial it in. You dont need 100w or the 25A draw when you can make contacts at 20watts with a good antenna like a linked dipole

gil

Quote from: ve3ips on April 24, 2018, 05:41:30 PM
The FT-891 is a great alternative as you can just leave it at 5 w and if you need more just dial it in. You dont need 100w or the 25A draw when you can make contacts at 20watts with a good antenna like a linked dipole
Certainly... But the 891 burns 5A at 5W output. My MTR burns 0.7A at the same power output... Not to mention the 35mA on receive...
Gil

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

RadioRay

13.8VDC at 5 Amps = 69 Watts to produce a 5 Watt signal.  Receive current is also too large for real field work., unless you're vehicle mobile or drag it to the nearby operating area , then back to the car. It's a matter of what you prefer, but I prefer portable.

>Ray
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

My opinion as well Ray.

Julian did make it work with new battery technology and a large solar panel, but I also prefer something that fits in a small bag or a large pocket for that matter... One thing that might work is something like the new QRPVer digital QRP transceiver:

https://qrpver.com/transceivers/qrpver-1-v-2-jt65-psk-bpsk-fsq-qrp-transceiver.html

But you still need a tablet... It is a small solution for someone who does not want to learn Morse code.

Gil.