Mobile dual band

Started by madball13, February 21, 2013, 10:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madball13

What do you guys have for a mobile dual band?

I had a mag mount that blew off and a through the glass dual band that fell off.

I picked up a Breedlove stake pocket mount for my truck with a UHF connector and looking for some recommendations.

Thanks!

kc0rzw

I've got a Larsen NMO 2/70 mounted on the roof of the car.  It is probably the best dual band antenna out there.

Geek

Quote from: kc0rzw on February 21, 2013, 10:57:26 PM
I've got a Larsen NMO 2/70 mounted on the roof of the car.  It is probably the best dual band antenna out there.

What kind of mount are you using?

recon_prepper

used the mag mounts with no problem.
now have a atas 120 I think thats what its called??? It is the antenna for the Yaesu 897d radio.
Its motorized for whatever band you tune to. I have a diamond brand attachment that hooks to the trunk.

Rob_ma

+1 for the Larsen NMO 2/70. I've used them on mag mounts before but they really perform with a permanent mount. Very sturdy compared to most amateur grade antennas. Larsen is used by many public safety agencies for a reason. :)

Review on eham: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/434

- Rob

kc0rzw

Quote from: Geek on February 22, 2013, 09:33:03 AM
Quote from: kc0rzw on February 21, 2013, 10:57:26 PM

What kind of mount are you using?

NMO, right in the middle of the roof

kc0rzw

http://www.k0bg.com/  This is about the ultimate source for mobile operating, very informative.

raybiker73

I have a Comet SBB14 antenna. It's mounted on the roof rack of my Jeep with a Comet rack/pipe mount. It wasn't very expensive and I've always had good luck with it. I also like that it has a breakaway/foldover at the base of the antenna so it doesn't get broken every time I drive under a low tree.

madball13

Quote from: raybiker73 on February 23, 2013, 06:43:30 AM
I have a Comet SBB14 antenna. It's mounted on the roof rack of my Jeep with a Comet rack/pipe mount. It wasn't very expensive and I've always had good luck with it. I also like that it has a breakaway/foldover at the base of the antenna so it doesn't get broken every time I drive under a low tree.

Thanks, i'm going to check that one out. 43" is perfect for my truck since i will be mounting it in the rear stake pocket.

Geek

What does the "NMO" on the Larsen mount stand for and where does one find the mount?  I see a bunch of ads for the antenna, all of which say it needs a mount, but no mounts.

Joe

Geek
NMO stands for New Motorola. The mount part comes with the coax. The antenna has to be NMO type to use with mount. All the antenna manufactures offer this for 2m and 70cm.

cockpitbob

Hustler 2/70 mag mount I got at a flea for $20.  Works great.  Good SWR seems to hit the distant repeaters well.