Dream Rig for HF - Kickstart Funding Now.

Started by RadioRay, January 15, 2015, 08:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

Have a look. I've been watching this and have ALREADY pledged my TINY amount of money where my mouth is.  Watch the video and see whether this makes you wake at night to run to the mail box, hoping it's there!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1703258614/psdr-pocket-hf-sdr-transceiver-with-vna-and-gps

>RadioRay ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

Absofeakinlutely awesome!! Not cheap but appears to be worth every penny. I didn't see anything about voltage requirements or current draw so I sent the maker those questions, I'll report back what I find.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

Darn, I pledged for the $250 kit. Now I need to save the money just in case!

Gil.

Quietguy

QuoteThe PSDR2 can modulate signals, but it can't filter or amplify them. In short, it can't transmit by itself.

Since this seems to be an exciter, what are you guys planning to use for an output stage?

Wally

Edit - board seems to be acting up... it only posted half of my post, cutting it off in the middle.

RadioRay

Quietman -

Great question. For me, it all depends upon their final/production version and its output from the final.  He was working on a 1-4 Watt output on the PSDR, but I am not counting on that.  If not, there are several '5 Watt Boot' amplifiers out there for QRP rigs in the milliWatt level and I have a tiny, efficient, German designed 10-15W amplifier that I can piggy-back very easily, to make a half sized KX3. 

As I see it, even if this crowd-funding should fail this time, it will likely attract attention of a company (like Elecraft?) who can push this rig into actual production and smooth out the design.

>RadioRay  ..._   ._

Ps. This would be handy when I move to Utah.  As I have become older, fortunately, the gear has become lighter!
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Myself, it's really the antenna analyser I'm after. If it also works as a radio, so much the better!

Gil.

KK0G

Michael replied to my questions on power requirements:

"It charges over USB (so 5v) but will draw about 1 Amp while charging, which is somewhat more than some chargers can supply. I've charged it with a bunch of AC-USB wall adapters with no problems.
]I like the idea of developing a folding case that acts as a solar panel, but that's a ways off. The internal LiPo charge controller is designed to make solar charging fairly painless."

That didn't really answer my question which was more to do with how long of a run time it had so I replied back with that question. More to follow.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KK0G

KK0G