Newb question concerning frequency

Started by K7JLJ, May 13, 2015, 09:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K7JLJ

I'm sure I should know this probably but I was wondering if I'm on save 14.035 and I want talk to someone across the US can I tell them to cone up on that freq and will they be close to it, exactly on it?

Does the number on the dial on all radios equal the same thing or is that number dependent on too many different factors to be accurate?

-Jim

cockpitbob

Any radio with a digital display that's less than about 30 years old should be plenty accurate.  You used the word "dial".  All bets are off if it's an old rig with analog tuning.

K7JLJ

Thanks just wondered if they would need to search +/- more than  0.01 sounds like its close enough to get both parties in the area and where they are physically does not matter.

Its probably in my General Lic book that i should be studying instead of posting on forums. :)

Thanks!
-Jim

gil

Hello,

If you're talking about CW, which I suspect on 14035, he should be probably within 400Hz to 1kHz, depending on the filter width on the radio.
On CW (used for Morse code), the listener, if off frequency, will hear a higher or lower pitch tone than the usual 600Hz or so... Most operators using small QRP CW radios tune by ear. On my K1, I can hear someone on say 7029 when listening to 7030. I just tune down until his tone sounds the same as my tone, 600Hz by ear, and that's how I find out which frequency he is on...

For SSB, I would think within 3kHz... In any case, he doesn't have to be exactly on frequency to hear you.

Gil.

K7JLJ

Perfect Gil, that's what I was fishing for.
-Jim

Jim Boswell

Gil is right on. If you had access to a frequency counter you could check the dial calibration of your analog VFO dial.
Some of the digital formats require exact frequency calibration since the signal is so narrow in bandwidth. For the most part you would not be using a analog VFO for those modes due to frequency drift. 73'S  Jim  KA5SIW