Up-Armored KX1

Started by RadioRay, November 25, 2013, 12:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

My Uber-Trail-Friendly KX-1 is...

NOT FOR SALE!
I changed my mind, but I'll leave this posting up for posterity.

I have reached the point where I am no longer 'mobile' enough to really make good use of my field survivable KX1. . .

SO WHAT?  I BUILT IT. I   L I K E   IT   AND I CANNOT EASILY REPLACE IT.
Water proof 'kayaker' box made by Otterbox, with a custom made aluminum hardware mounted inside of the case to fit the custom made front panel of this KX1 transceiver.  This is not merely a KX1 in a Pelican case. The waterproof case is an integral part of the transceiver and water tight when closed. You can literally place it on the ground, unlatch the lid, hook up your wires, power ON and start operating. (Be certain to light your pipe and pour your Cointreau first ...)

I have mounted 50 mA/Hr solar panels to the top of the case which trickle charge 9x 1500 mA/Hr NiMH cells which are hot glued inside of the case.  There is a reason for the hot glue. I had used AA battery holders in the past, but found that even the best would 'loose' the batteries if the rucksack had even a minor bump.  I had a trip with bush pilot that not only did that to a (different) rig & loose its AA cells, one of his helpers knocked the optics on one of my weapons out of zero while tossing gear into the aircraft. Not a good thing in moose and griz country.

He was a great pilot though and more than a little crazy. On our return filght out of the wilderness, he set us down right onto the numbers at the little return airport after doing a hammerhead stall above the end of the field - just to see if my buddy and I would crap our pants.  That was some great flying, we recorded it and it's in a survival video we were crew on,  so it was worth it.

Alkaline batteries drop voltage quickly with use, even when still technically 'charged'. Considering that NiMH cells should last for several YEARS of recharges. By using low current solar panels on top, I do not use a charge regulator, allowing the batteries to charge directly from the mini-solar cells at C50 maximum. (i/e the literature says that is too little current to fry the NiMH batteries) .  The KX1 has a built in voltmeter and voltage warning, so that it's VERY easy to monitor the charge state of your internal batteries from the front panel.

KX-1 Options installed:

> Elecraft KX1 80, 40, 30, 20 meters

> Elecraft internal, automatic antenna coupler

> Palm Paddles mounted & protected on the face plate.
(see pictures - better than Elecraft paddles, in my opinion.)

> External power via Anderson PowerPole connector on top panel.
(Note: KX1 comes stock with circuitry that automatically switches to whichever power source is higher voltage: internal batteries or external power. Pretty good thinking on their part!)

> Padded, well fitting, cloth case, containing slant wire antenna with weight, counterpoise wire, small emergency 12 volt Lithium battery incase you loose all other power. (It's an EMERGENCY radio - right?!?)

> The KX-1 manual is available on-line at the Elecraft site. 

>>> My ear buds have been IN my ears - You DON'T want them!  I will leave them out. ha ha

>>>  I was considering a trade or partial trade for an HF transceiver. I am thinking an FT-857 , IC-7200 or a classic 1956 Vincent Black-Shadow 1000cc motorcycle in showroom condition... :^)  might be a possibility.

I am looking for an HF mobile, preferably with a remotable control head, so let's talk. If you THINK you have an idea of a trade - please e-mail me through this forum and we'll try to strike a bargain.I will list this KX1 here for a few days, then send it onto the usual on-line auction sites, sit back and watch the carnage.  I would rather sell it here - to keep it 'in the family'. Because there is nothing like this on the market, the NEW price is  ...

...  personally delivered to your door by Scarlett Johanssen (or other representative)

73 de RadioRay ..._  ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

For some reason today I got to wondering if the old up-armored KX1 ever sold and lo and behold I see Ray changed his mind. I bet the sentimental old sap just couldn't bear to see her go ;D ............. I don't blame you a bit Ray.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

I've always thought you should keep it... Something you put so much effort in and works well should not be up for sale. You might also need it later even though you think the chance is remote, then you'd be sad you sold it.

I for instance could sell my KX3 but probably not my MTR, because I built it. I can't believe I sold my K1, that was a mistake.

Definitely, keep your KX1.

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: gil on March 09, 2014, 11:41:38 PM
I've always thought you should keep it... Something you put so much effort in and works well should not be up for sale. You might also need it later even though you think the chance is remote, then you'd be sad you sold it.

I for instance could sell my KX3 but probably not my MTR, because I built it. I can't believe I sold my K1, that was a mistake.

Definitely, keep your KX1.

Gil.
I've sold quite a few rigs over the years and so far have never regretted it, but those were all factory built rigs. Selling one of the rigs I built with my own two hands would be much more difficult.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RadioRay

I have to admit that I do get a chuckle when I look over on the window sill where it sits occasionally to keep the internal battery topped-up!  With the newly added internal speaker, it's even better.  I may shoot some video of the latest configuration.

For Swiss Army Knife radio, the little FT-817 is tough to beat, but Elecraft rigs are superb for their intended purpose; in fact today I was talking KX1 to KX1 with one of our Morse-code-istas!  Easy copy - I used the speaker most of the time.

I especially like the accessories that came with earlier QRP rigs!

>Ray
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry