Bought a tower today

Started by Frosty, September 01, 2013, 04:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frosty

Still up at the owner's house down the street.  Looks to be about 35' above ground, he's not sure and that's just my best guess.  Might be a Rohn, predecessor of the G-series maybe.  Hard to tell, can't find a name on it at/near ground level.  Not sure how deep it's planted, or if in concrete.  His father-in-law (now passed on) installed it before he met the man.

$100 (!), but I get to take it down.  Have to get over there with a shovel this week and see what I'm up against, with any luck the base isn't in concrete - but I kinda doubt that. 

It's going to add about 15' to my current antenna height (2m and CB, the latter rarely used), and give me room for extra antennas.  An FM omni is a gimme, I'd rather listen to a ball game than watch one and I live in the boondocks.   Maybe a discone for FM and the scanner, with my 2m vertical above - not sure yet but having fun thinking about it :)   

gil

You might have to get a base if it's in concrete. Usually the base goes up 4-5ft and the tower is bolted to it...

Gil.

KK0G

$100 isn't very much to get paid for removing that tower considering all the work and liability involved.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Geek

Keep us posted on the moving exercise.  I suspect it will be challenging to move.

Archangel320420

"$100 isn't very much to get paid for removing that tower"

Now THAT was funny, KK0G. I should not drink milk and read such posts at the same time in the future. haaa! Terry

Frosty

Quote from: gil on September 01, 2013, 04:42:32 PM
You might have to get a base if it's in concrete. Usually the base goes up 4-5ft and the tower is bolted to it...

Thinking an angle grinder with a cutoff blade will probably be required once I get down to the concrete.  Got a buddy that
works with fencing, might be able to weld a new base made with fence post and scrap metal. 

Going to have another look-see today, when I eyeballed/guessimated it last year it didn't look that bad. "Three guys and a twelve pack of beer" operation (famous last words?).  The top few feet is going to brush some trees on the way down, and it'll land across his driveway.  I own the adjoining property to his, think I can get my truck close enough on the other side to help lower it gently with rope.  Then it's only about 500yds to it's new home.  No worries KK0G, the tower is worth more than anything it might land on. :)

Good, bad, or just plain ugly, I'll get some pics of the operation Geek.  And Welcome Terry.

KK0G

Quote from: Archangel320420 on September 02, 2013, 12:30:33 AM
"$100 isn't very much to get paid for removing that tower"

Now THAT was funny, KK0G. I should not drink milk and read such posts at the same time in the future. haaa! Terry

I see someone got my tongue in cheek comment 8) .
My point was that the work involved in removing the tower probably exceeds or at least equals the value of the tower itself. I'd go at it from the opposite angle; "Sure I can get rid of that dangerous nuisance of an eye sore for you. Tell you what, I'll even do it for free, I might be able to put that hunk of scrap to use."
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Frosty

OK, didn't get the shovel out, just the binocs and a tape measure.   It's four 10' sections plus 2' of the base showing above ground.  Still no clue on the manufacturer, but little rust on the tower itself.  Lowering it shouldn't be a problem, but not going to trust the 30 or so year old rope still attached to do it with.  The top section has just a hole for the mast to fit through with a (heavily rusted) bolt to secure it.  With a 10' sched 40 fence post as the mast that I'll add, I should be able to put my 2m (give or take) Diamond antenna tip at nearly 70'.   That's a couple feet below the height the A-10's that buzz house on occasion fly, so I figure, "I'm good". 

Think I'll build the mast/antennas over the winter (beats chasing the wife around the hedge maze with an ax), and get the tower installed sometime after the ground thaws next year.

I'm geared.. psyched.. geeked up...  Gonna get me another 2 miles base to HT, maybe :)  CW on MURS is legal, right?

recon_prepper

I will say this fence post aint strong at all. Its thin tube aluminum and will bend quite easily. Be careful using it. I have tried and learned my lesson. It doesnt hold up to strong winds very well at all and cant handle much weight.
Just my two cents worth.
I sure as heck wouldnt use it as the base feet for a tower and not real fond of it for bolting my antenna to at the top of one either.