HSMM-MESH

Started by Geek, July 19, 2013, 07:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WA4STO

Quote from: Rob_ma on July 25, 2013, 11:32:24 AM
The biggest shortcoming in this project seems to be a lack of real life examples of how it can be used.

There's a whole chapter in the ARRL's VHF Digital Communications pub on HSMM-MESH.  I don't have it around here any more (out on long term loan) but I seem to recall that it was really fabulous for showing how the group in Austin managed to succeed with it.

Me, I'm stuck in the cornfields of Nebraska.

LH

Geek

The fellow that got me started was pushing the idea of email.  Basically, the email would move through the HSMM-MESH network until it got to a DStar connection or some other Internet connection.

So far my impression is it is cheap, simple but lacks critical mass to really work.  On the other hand, each time someone adds one we get closer to something useful.

The routers that work are pretty cheap new and have been around long enough you can probably get them even cheaper on eBay.

Geek

I seem to be having some success in getting some local HAMs interested.  I'll know within a few weeks whether it is all talk or they're actually setting up MESH routers.

madball13

Quote from: Geek on July 30, 2013, 11:33:31 AM
I seem to be having some success in getting some local HAMs interested.  I'll know within a few weeks whether it is all talk or they're actually setting up MESH routers.

I'm slightly intrigued and will be discussing this with our emmcomm group in town.

Geek

Sounds great!  I suggest getting a router from the list and setting it up.  You'll be able to speak more knowledgeably based on that experience.  I placed an order for another router so I can demonstrate two of them communicating with each other.

madball13

Quote from: Geek on August 01, 2013, 03:13:03 PM
Sounds great!  I suggest getting a router from the list and setting it up.  You'll be able to speak more knowledgeably based on that experience.  I placed an order for another router so I can demonstrate two of them communicating with each other.

I'm lurking fleabay for one now. A guy is selling a bunch already flashed for $50. It would be sweet if i could score one for $25 or so.

Rob_ma

I'm lurking fleabay for one now. A guy is selling a bunch already flashed for $50. It would be sweet if i could score one for $25 or so.
[/quote]

Ask around locally, too. I had someone hand me four of them for free just for asking. Lots of them around and sometimes they just get put on a shelf after someone upgraded to another router.

Geek

Quote from: Rob_ma on August 06, 2013, 05:26:24 PM

Ask around locally, too. I had someone hand me four of them for free just for asking. Lots of them around and sometimes they just get put on a shelf after someone upgraded to another router.

Flashing it takes about 20 minutes.  If you can install a WiFi router yourself, then you can set up one of these.

madball13

Quote from: Geek on August 06, 2013, 06:02:37 PM
Quote from: Rob_ma on August 06, 2013, 05:26:24 PM

Flashing it takes about 20 minutes.  If you can install a WiFi router yourself, then you can set up one of these.

I saw a video on youtube about flashing the router and it looks pretty easy.

Edit: Just got a router for $25.

madball13

Just had an epiphany, going to use a HSMM-MESH network to create a range camera so i can shoot 600 yards by myself. 

Geek

I have to admit I've been thinking disaster preparations and not much else.  However, this should work for anything you would want to send over a LAN.  I'm planning on attending a session next week where the fellow who introduced me to the technology will be speaking about running Skype and a variety of other things over an HSMM-MESH network.  That should get me more aware of the possibilities.

madball13

Quote from: Geek on August 09, 2013, 08:39:06 AM
I have to admit I've been thinking disaster preparations and not much else.  However, this should work for anything you would want to send over a LAN.  I'm planning on attending a session next week where the fellow who introduced me to the technology will be speaking about running Skype and a variety of other things over an HSMM-MESH network.  That should get me more aware of the possibilities.

Please share what you find out.

Quietguy

Quote from: madball13 on August 09, 2013, 08:10:17 AMgoing to use a HSMM-MESH network to create a range camera so i can shoot 600 yards by myself.
I had a similar idea with using one to monitor a chain link gate across the end of our 500 foot driveway.  A curve in the driveway plus lots of trees and elevation difference makes the gate not visible from the house.

Then I priced out decent quality outdoor IP cameras, and that put an end to that idea, at least temporarily.  Web cams to stick on your monitor are cheap - outdoor IP surveillance cameras are not.

Wally

Geek

Quote from: Quietguy on August 09, 2013, 06:06:20 PM
Quote from: madball13 on August 09, 2013, 08:10:17 AMgoing to use a HSMM-MESH network to create a range camera so i can shoot 600 yards by myself.
I had a similar idea with using one to monitor a chain link gate across the end of our 500 foot driveway.  A curve in the driveway plus lots of trees and elevation difference makes the gate not visible from the house.

Then I priced out decent quality outdoor IP cameras, and that put an end to that idea, at least temporarily.  Web cams to stick on your monitor are cheap - outdoor IP surveillance cameras are not.

Wally

I've seen ads for game cameras that use WiFi.  You might want to check some place like Cabellas for those.

Quietguy

Good idea Geek, I didn't think of that.  I'll check them out.

Thanks,
Wally