Stockpile This! (Suggest something)

Started by freax, January 16, 2015, 03:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freax

I hope this thread can be used as a means to remind each other to stockpile stuff.

gil

Hello,

One thing that I discovered recently is chia seeds.. Pretty nutritious, keeps forever and are great in oatmeal for breakfast...

Gil.

NCGunDude

What makes sense to stockpile is long term storage food, reloading components, and survival skills.

Things to purchase in bulk are those you use everyday, like toilet paper, six months worth of food, batteries, toothpaste, detergent, cleaning supplies. We keep an inventory spreadsheet for a family of four and order a lot of stuff online, delivered to the door. Opsec isn't really an issue, since who cares if a case of toilet paper is delivered at someone's house, and I don't waste my gas or back getting it out of the vehicle and into the house.

Walmart.com has become my friend. Food isn't the only thing that's going to disappear off the shelves if WROL happens.

ciphercomms

We discussed this recently on another forum. After obvious stuff like basic food, water, and medical stuff, the leading candidates for personal use and barter potential included chocolate, coffee, liquor in small bottles, tobacco products, knives and other hand tools, and sewing stuff like needles and thread. Guns and ammo were mentioned but given low ratings because most agreed you might not want to help arm people you don't know very well. I would have added 12 volt electricity and coax cable -- but it wasn't a radio-oriented website.

Lamewolf

KG7LZD

I am a big fan of the Lee Loader (the kind you hit with a mallet) because it's small enough to carry in your BoB.  If you choose a good cartridge, like the .22 Hornet or the .30-30, you can carry 20-40 rounds of loaded ammo, one can of powder, and several hundred bullets plus the loader and the whole package will weigh maybe 1.5 pounds and keep you shooting possibly for years.

If you carry two types of powder (like 4350 for HV work and Trail Boss for LV) you could have the makings of ammo for everything from squirrel to big game hunting.

Another thing to buy is lead acid batteries for home use as well as a solar panel, wind generator, or hand crank generator for charging.  If the power goes out for a few days or weeks it'd be nice to be able to charge up small electronics, use your radio, and run a few small lights.  I have about 100AH of lead acid batteries in my shack here and I want more.

It goes without saying that you should also have plenty of non-perishable food and some fuel to cook it with.  I have an Optimus Svea stove, a Coleman 442, and a Coleman 'green suitcase' 2 burner stove all of which run off white gas, as well as about 8 gallons of white gas.

Tobacco and booze seem like a no brainer even if you don't smoke or drink.  People would be willing to trade for this kind of thing.  Coffee and tea as well - neither would be obtainable if shipping broke down and they'd disappear from stores really quickly.  Instant coffee is cheap and works great, as well as not needing any heat to prepare.

I also think that one should be prepared to make their own potable water.  I have a Katadyn Pocket filter and even though it costs way more than pretty much anything out there, the filter unit is good for many times longer than anything else.  Forget the steri-pen gadgets which can break and leave icky sediments and shit in your water, and the silly straws and water bottles that you need to suck on to operate.  That's going to suck if you want cooking water or some water to soak your rice and beans to reduce cooking time.

I also think a bunch of Mora knives would be excellent for bartering.

Joe

One thing I've added to the list is car battery terminals and cable, it will make it easier to build a batter bank from the unused cars without having to strip out the stocks terminals in the car. And if the car is needed it will be easier to throw the battery back in it.

Another thing I find that is always over looked is feminine hygiene products. The right time of month they could be worth there weight in gold, lol. But can also be used for first aid to.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk