The joys of living near Canada

Started by Luigi, December 26, 2014, 08:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luigi

Oh how great it is to live near Canada. I am picking up a contest in SSB on 7075 kHz. At first I though some idiot was not a quick study of the digital and voice portions of the 40 meter band. After listening, it was determined that the station calling CQ is in Canada. There is a section of the band  7050 - 7080 kHz that allows cw and ssb for RAC. Unfortunately this is right on top of the well used psk-31 7070 kHz slot. Many olivia users are found around 7075 kHz. Thankfully the radio user was not transmitting on 7070 kHz.

Odd but very legal.

Luigi

I hope you all had a great Christmas.

RadioRay

Unfortunately, some of the band plans were evidently instituted by people who knew nothing about radio propagation; forty meters is a prime example. Our U.S. plan is significantly different from most of the world's plan, so we have SSB voice in our CW portion and much MORE so before they stripped away much of the CW bands for easy to use 'fone'.

Perfectly legal for our Canadian friends to the north to operate there.  They're generally good people and I used to work cross-mode with some when I was a novice, rock bound on one of 2 forty meter frequencies I had a crystal for (until a buddy helped me with an 'illegal' VFO!!!) I'd call them in CW and they'd answer in voice for short QSOs. The Spanish speaking stations are often a problem here, because of a cultural difference in manners ...  ::)  and often having strong and WIDE signals.

de RadioRay ..._  ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Luigi

The guy in Canada was asking for CW responses. Your comment about the phone cw conversation clarifies things a bit. Thanks. Since it was a contest, I moved on. That is not really my thing.

Frequently I have conversations across the border (US/CAN). We have pretty much the same interests on either side of the 49th parallel.
Luigi