Oklahoma tornado news via the Amateur Radio Service

Started by WA4STO, May 21, 2013, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WA4STO

As my main WL2K / WINMOR link is in Oklahoma, I was pleasantly surprised to get the following update from him a few moments ago.

-------------
To: taprn@all

Subject: Weather update

R:130521/2038Z OK.USA.NOAM BPQ1.4.54

Heartfelt thanks to all who have called, or corresponded via BBS mail, with their concerns for our safety, inclusion in prayer and generous offers of assistance, if necessary.  You have confirmed that we are "like-minded" in the ways that count!

By now, you would all be aware of the devastating tornadoes that wreaked total destruction in Carney, OK and near Shawnee, OK (EF 4 strength) on Sunday, followed by an EF-4 (possibly EF-5) tornado across Moore, OK yesterday (Monday).  At least 6 deaths occurred at Shawnee (some people are still on missing list) and this morning's reports have casualties in Moore, OK at >21 deaths (expected to rise) and injuries in the hundreds.  Miles of urban commercial and residential area, including 2 elementary schools have been totally obliterated, with nothing left standing but shredded, tree trunks stripped of all bark.  For perspective, during Sunday's outbreak, nearest tornado to our QTH was last reported on the ground about 30 miles West.  The devastation in Moore is 110 Miles SW of here and the tornado was last reported on the ground about 80 miles SW.  At about the same time, a "large, life-threatening tornado" (per NOAA WX radio warning) passed by about 12 miles to our North with damage apparently limited to rural farm property and outbuildings.

As severe thunderstorm activity was bearing down yesterday all equipment was secured, generator was put on-line to disconnect from grid power and all antenna cables were disconnected.  T-storm cell after cell approached and either deviated around us or fizzled out.  At about 8PM the radar became clear, with all storm activity to our East.  We re-connected to the grid and restored radio operation.  Within 30 minutes thunder was heard, a check of radar revealed new T-storm cells forming immediately to our West and cloud to ground lightning was striking often, possibly on our property; lack of time and personal safety considerations precluded disconnecting the antennas this time.  Interestingly, we lost internet (our local wireless provider's tower was struck), we lost power, but had battery or generator power available and we lost TV as Dish was blocked out by rain for nearly 2 hours.  Although T-storms persisted for nearly 3 hours, we only had 1.75" of rain.  The communications that count remained fully operative, reinforcing the potential of the TAPRN system and amateur radio in general.  More thunderstorms began around 10AM today (Tuesday), but temps are about 30 degrees cooler so the atmosphere is not so volatile.

Although minimally tested in this event, awareness of our preparedness is heightened, including this communications venue.  I urge every member of this system to seek out additional like-minded amateurs for inclusion in the network.

Lastly, but most important, please keep those affected by the Oklahoma tornado events in your thoughts and prayers.  For those with the ability, please lend assistance through one of the many relief agencies.  Cookie (XYL) and me will be seeking the opportunity to donate labor to the area as soon as conditions allow.

Again, thanks for everyone's concern in a time of even "potential" need.  This group is GREAT!

-----------
73, Luck WA4STO

KC9TNH

Quote from: WA4STO on May 21, 2013, 04:50:35 PM
As my main WL2K / WINMOR link is in Oklahoma, I was pleasantly surprised to get the following update from him a few moments ago.
That's good news.

WA4STO

Uh, yah.

ECM dash one is his 'private' network node; I just didn't want to specify the callsign specifically, never sure how many media droids are lurking and he's got bigger fish to clean right now.  Alpacas, actually, he runs a small alpaca farm there.

Luck, WA4STO

s2man

Our local (Kansas City) ham email list sent out a request for ham operators to go help in OK.  They were needed to help tie Moore to Oklahoma City.

We had two fronts move through in two days.  We had high winds and lots of ground-striking lightning, but no hail or twisters at our place.  The lights flickered a few times, but power stayed on.  2.5" hail was reported in a neighboring county.

I listened to our SkyWarn net on the local repeaters during both events.  On the second day, I was listening to a guy 15 miles East of us, in the middle of a cell which had just passed over us.  He started describing hail, rotation, then a funnel.  He finally told the EOC, "I'll have to pull the trigger on this one".   I headed to the living room to tell DW, and just as I walked in the NOAA radio went off with a tornado warning for the Eastern portion of our county.  Pretty cool.  But DW couldn't figure out why I was laughing at a tornado warning.  :-)

KC9TNH

Quote from: s2man on May 22, 2013, 07:47:20 AMHe started describing hail, rotation, then a funnel.  He finally told the EOC, "I'll have to pull the trigger on this one".
Ha, good tale. My typical spot is on a ridge top w/good view to the western semi-circle. Spotters need to always recon their escape routes to make sure they haven't been trapped due to "civic improvements" or "shovel-ready projects."