Why prepping is pointless. Why you, the meek, won't survive.

Started by freax, September 29, 2014, 02:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freax

*Censored*

NCGunDude

I rented a decent movie from Redbox yesterday, Noah, starring Russel Crowe. The plot is basically the same thing you're describing, and of course, it's biblically based.

So, biblically speaking, Noah was the only righteous person left on the face of the earth, and for the sake of one righteous person, through him, God spared the human race.

Could society go full blown zombie apocalyptic in a SHTF grid down scenario? Sure, and I don't keep all of my preps in one location. Life is not without risk, and I would respectfully suggest that one not neglect the most important prep of all, spiritual.

We can't plan for everything, but we can put our faith and trust in God Almighty, the God and Father of the Lord, Jesus Christ, Creator of Heaven and Earth and all that is in them, and who is able to save to the utmost.

Who among us wouldn't do things differently if we had a do over?

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." (2 Corinthians 5:17 ESV)

I'll hang on to my preps, and continue to add to them. Whatever happens, I know I've done my best, and that includes not being a door mat for the zombie horde. If everyone prepped, it would facilitate forming communities post SHTF, which offers the best opportunity for long term survival. Those who haven't prepped are going to find it tough going, but the worst case scenario is going to be mind numbing difficult for anyone, since modern societies just aren't prepared to revert to 19th century agrarian practices. Bottom line for me, believe God.

"Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 ESV)

If you don't believe the truth of God's word, that's OK. You can still be thankful for those of us who do, remember Noah.

"And if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short." (Matthew 24:22 ESV)

You might even take this opportunity to save yourself,

"because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved." (Romans 10:9-10 ESV)

I've been giving some thought to starting a Sunday morning prayer net. It would be awesome to use the technology to bring the Word of God to the amateur radio community, starting on one of the local repeaters, and eventually adding another net on HF.

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to share a little bit about why I prep. It's doing my utmost for his highest. God bless and god speed.

73's,

KK4TTR

RadioRay

Remember:  99.9% of 'Survival' is good Home Economics. Unlike what the media tells us, clean shelter, good water, nutritious food are the staff of life. The remaining .1% involves holding on to your staff of life. During my times overseas, it was clear that the biggest killers in the third world were poor hygiene and other third worlders.

-...-

To not prep is to die, even in 'normal' society.  If I do not produce food, I starve. If I do not fight infection, I die. 

If I allow my Mother-in-Law come to visit for 6 months...

... I'd WISH that I were dead.    :-[

The Proverbs carry a steady theme of the wisdom of preparedness: here's one: 

"The prudent sees the evil and hides himself, But the naive go on, and are punished for it."

C'est la vie!

Here is another factor: we chose to live in a rural area, on the end of 70 mile long peninsula. There are several 'social' downsides, but there are tremendous UPsides, including living in a quiet, peaceful and productive area with very little crime. We have deep water on three sides and few roads in, all of which must pass over water hazards, which in mil-speak are choke-points / natural ambush sites where two deer hunters with common, scoped rifles could control 500 yards with deadly results.  Should the criminals decide to dismount and then sprint to pass by the road obstacles...

... they would die in even larger numbers as they try to sprint 150 yards down a two lane bridge with no cover straight into an unknown number of 'Southern Boys' who grew-up for generations hunting for table meat.  In short, they are highly motivated & concealed snipers firing from raised, fortified positions.  I've mapped the terrain myself.  If the mob attempt to swarm, then many will die and the 'hunters' fall back if necessary to the next bridge and now there are at least four of them with more on the way because of the SPOT REPORT(s) sent via radio and they are facing far fewer surviving criminals - who - by the way , are not United States Marines, so these maggots are unlikely to be motivated to 'die for the cause'. Our people, defending their families ARE willing to die defending them and most of us are veterans as well. Those are a few of the anti-mob advantages and we haven't even mentioned getting upwind and opening the seal on any cylinders of chlorine yet...    ::)  It's common to sit in church on Sunday with your concealed side arm - and the preacher is armed too: perfectly normal here.  Then there is what is often carried by Good-Old-Boys in the truck...

As for prepping as a life style, both the U.S. and Oz were - not too long ago-  pioneer nations.  Those who thrive in cities, generally do not do well in the country, being used to a pub on every corner and easy living.  In the country, we know who belongs and who does not.  After the first small town is ransacked, most farmers, ranchers, watermen and etc. would be very likely to block roads and only let locals pass. We do not depend upon police even now, so we're not likely to then.  Our badged people around here are usually some pretty 'switched-on' people and fit this area well.  They know that if there is an attack, even NOW, during easy times, that the homeowner(s) will take care of it, including deadly force and call the sheriff when a report is required. If one of the miscreants happened to survive, the sheriff's deputy can call someone to patch the criminal up.  I can't afford the cellphone minutes   :o  That is today - right now.  'Someday', during a mob-attack , it would go down hill from there from the criminals point of view.  We do not expect police to protect us even now.  We protect ourselves and the police take the report and continue to look for and interdict suspicious activity, which they are very good at in this area. We protect them too, because they are our neighbors.

The life style of growing food, hunting, fishing, ham radio and more is enjoyable.  If we stop doing the things that we enjoy because 'someday' we might not be able to, then we've already lost; this goes for free speech, by the way. The ability to shelter in place in this area, is valuable.  Most of us do not NEED to go to a store for a very long time.  I'll miss my Martinis - eventually- but maybe I can make some sweet potato vodka and that's not a bad idea anyway.  I'm an engineer - I could build a safe still, and here in the south, making your own 'shine' is a time-honored tradition, despite what those city politicians say about it.

No - There is a reason why punks kick toothless little dogs instead of kicking a tiger. They would not survive kicking a tiger, so hang-out with old tigers and it will rub off on you.  You're on the right track, don't fade now.

Got To Go - I have chores to do.

de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

NCGunDude

So, you're in the southern hemisphere? I saw a headline today about the heat wave in AUS and blaming it on climate change.

I also saw a computer model predicting the spread of ebola. The interior of AUS was not over taken, I'm assuming because of the lack of population density, which I've just confirmed here, http://i.imgur.com/Np74KFZ.png

I just ordered another Baofeng/Pufong UV-B5, since my wife wants to start using one in her car, some masks, gloves, and recently got some pool shock for disinfecting surfaces. A little bit at a time. It helps to have a partner, and my wife has been pretty spectacular.

Here's a link to an older article on EHV/EVD from the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/abroad/vhf-manual.html. There's a checklist of materials to stock. Treatment is symptomatic, meaning you treat the symptoms, mostly related to loss of fluids.

The CDC is still saying the risk of ebola becoming a global epidemic is low, but now is a good time to check your health care preps.

Should the epidemic spread and in the event cell phone towers are down or over-loaded, it will be good to be able to communicate and get outside news without having to leave the house or depend on cable and telephone infrastructure.

I may need to move up my HF capabilities timeline.

Lamewolf

Quote from: NCGunDude on September 29, 2014, 10:34:48 AM
I rented a decent movie from Redbox yesterday, Noah, starring Russel Crowe. The plot is basically the same thing you're describing, and of course, it's biblically based.

73's,

KK4TTR

Although I agree 110% with all the scriptures you quoted, the movie Noah had very little to do with the way the story of Noah went !  When I saw it, I had to shake my head.  Rock monsters ?  Come on, give me a break !  Hitchhikers on the ark ?  Yeah, granted Noah was a Bible character but that movie was a big disappointment !

NCGunDude

Quote from: Lamewolf on February 16, 2015, 10:37:40 AM
Although I agree 110% with all the scriptures you quoted, the movie Noah had very little to do with the way the story of Noah went !  When I saw it, I had to shake my head.  Rock monsters ?  Come on, give me a break !  Hitchhikers on the ark ?  Yeah, granted Noah was a Bible character but that movie was a big disappointment !

Agreed. And thanks for the reply. I get a little carried away sometimes. A lot going on, and the pace seems to be accelerating.

It was the sentiment I was trying to express. And it sounds like we agree on that part. 73's.

BlinkyBill

No way could I live in a place where I expected society to go all Mad Max in the event of a collapse of whatever sort.

There have been plenty of instances where through natural disaster or war the regular constructs of society have collapsed, and the community, both rural and city have rallied to overcome the odds and rebuild.

Perhaps it's time to consider moving if you're worried about your fellow countrymen to that extent.

gil

One can't expect to survive forever in poor and dangerous conditions. I would take every day as a victory. So, maybe I'd survive for a week, a month, a year, so what? Better than an hour...

Prepping means increasing your odds of survival, not guaranteeing it...

I often get similar questions teaching martial arts: "What if the guy has a big knife and you don't see it coming?" Well, you die... Training increases your odds, sometimes not by much, but it's still worth the effort if you ask me.

All your preparations might end up amounting to nothing, oh well... It doesn't mean you shouldn't make an effort, because sometimes, it will make a difference.

Survival is often more a matter of attitude than anything else. I remember reading about an Old West gunfighter who had survived a few gunfights. When asked what he thought was most important, he replied "Intent." Not marksmanship, or speed, or skills, but how bad you wanted to get the other guy... So, going in with the idea that it won't matter probably will end up being a self-prophecy.

Prepping should be a supporting strategy to a survival attitude.

Gil.

BlinkyBill

Freax, to be clear, I have no interest in prepping for survival AGAINST others.  I guess I just have a lot more faith in humanity, with local recent history supporting my stance.  I hear what you're saying, I just don't agree about your tinderbox view.  My prepping is related to surviving natural disaster type events, where the timespan is perhaps up to say 24 months or so (how long for most houses to be rebuilt after a disaster).

As to how I'll survive, being in Tasmania there are two scenarios that cause me concern.  The bass strait shipping route closing cutting us off from Australia, and natural disasters/events.  In these scenarios my main requirements for my family is food, water and shelter.

Where I live there is an abundance of fresh water in the form of creeks and rivers.  Many of which have never run dry in living memory.  I have enough faith in the authorities that should the town water supplies fail, they're not going to stop people collecting water from the rivers.  Additionally many homes have large water tanks which in the last 20 years or so have only needed replenishing from a truck a couple of times.  In fact town planning in many areas require new dwellings to have a water tank installed.  So I'm comfortable that I'm prepared as far as water goes.

Regarding food, as a state we produce surplus food, which is exported, so if we do get cut off, there's plenty to sustain us locally.  Our property has lovely soil, and we have many fruit trees.  Our veggie patch is only small, it could be easily ramped up.  Yes we do have seed in storage.  Most of our neighbors grow fruit and veggies too, and we along with them have chickens for eggs.  We as neighbors regularly pass on surplus home grown produce to each other, and pass on seed from plants that do well.

As far as shelter goes, we bush camp for about five weeks at a stretch every year for holidays.  We're confident that we would be comfortable with our camping set up.  The fact that it's on wheels makes it easy to take with us.  If the issue is localized, we have good friends on opposite ends of the state who who'll have no issues sharing their house with us for as long as it takes.  We built our house with super insulation and double glazing, so it stays warm, plus we have a wood heater with about three years of wood pre cut.  I also have a chainsaw if we need more, or to cut some for neighbors etc.

So that's how I prep for my identified risks.  I have a strategy which is supported by the lifestyle we already live.

And to bring it full circle to this forum, my CB and ham gear can be run from our camping set up via deep cycle battery and 200w solar panel forever. :)

BlinkyBill

Freax, that was a great response.  The distinction between our two points of view was exceptionally well articulated, and I do agree that if I experienced the world through your world view, I would be unprepared.

ciphercomms

It's always good to try and find 'context'...historical and social context mostly. The closest context for major disaster I can think of, a situation affecting millions of people over millions of square miles, would be World War Two, most apocalyptically in Eastern Europe with sieges of Stalingrad and Leningrad as well as the plight of Jews in Warsaw and other ghettos.

That's a little bit ancient but it's hard to think of a more recent calamity that was anywhere close in scope and that involved people with more-or-less modern 'Western' (Judeo-Christian) world views.

One take-away, maybe, is that there doesn't seem to have been a breakdown to total lawlessness. It was under authority of official martial law in most places, with government agencies of one sort or another in fairly effective control in most places.

Is there really much reason to believe it would be very different here and now ? What would be substantially different ?

NCGunDude

I take a slightly different view from a biblical perspective. If it was within man to save himself, he would have already done so. We're seeing the culmination of a super cycle. While innovation will proceed, it can't keep up with the exponential growth of population and debt. While the money supply could reset, which is the godly thing to do, it won't as long as those in control have anything to say about, population reset is a little more problematic.

In old testament Judaism, every 50th year was the year of jubilee, when the land reverted to it's original ownership, and all debts forgiven. Debt repudiation is what is needed now. I know, won't happen.

You can look at WWII, which as freax pointed out, is ancient times, 3% of the world's population were killed. 30 to 50 percent of the population in Europe died from the black plague in the mid fourteenth century.

The population isn't going to reduce itself, and total global debt, which is twice global GDP, isn't going to repudiate itself. My hope for myself, family, colleagues, and all who love the Lord, is the return of Christ in glory.

"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." (Matthew 6:34 ESV)

Jesus said these words in his sermon on the mount, after being baptized by John the baptist, and being tempted by the devil in the wilderness for 40 days and nights.

The bible says a lot about what is occurring now, and what will soon take place. Our lives are but a fleeting instant compared to all eternity. The choices we make today have eternal consequences. My prayer for each of you is that you accept Jesus as Lord, believe God raised him from the dead, and you will be saved. Saved from what? Saved from the wrath of God which is coming upon all who don't believe. That is where the world is headed, and that's why I say don't neglect the most important step in prepping, spiritual.

"So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love." (1 Cor 13:13)

Peace

ciphercomms

NCGD's first paragraph 'take' on humankind getting things straightened out is exactly right according to mainline Christian teachings. There are dozens of quotes throughout the Bible that point to our basic selfishness and self-centeredness as a species, with only the partial hope of sometimes behaving properly with close attention to other teachings.

And even leading exemplary lives is no guarantee, in mainline theology, of escaping the difficulties that affect everyone else...'The sun shines and the rain falls on the righteous and the wicked alike'.

Another widely (if not universally) accepted theological concept is the notion that the revelation of the divine design is gradual and on-going. Life was hugely different in New Testament times (under the Romans) than it was in Old Testament times (as wandering nomads). Jesus himself reinterpreted the old rules and laws for those times, and teachings of the Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant Churches have all evolved over the intervening centuries as scientific and political and social arrangements have shifted.

Hard telling whether it's a majority or minority view, but a lot of people figure the Bible predictions of apocalypse have already come true many times already...terrible episodes of war or famine or disaster or disease. The Bible DOES have a lot to say about what's happening now, but pretty much to the same extent that it has described the results of 'broken' and selfish human nature for 4,000-5,000 years.

WWII might have only wiped 3% of world population but it wiped a whole lot more than that in Eastern Europe to balance virtually no losses in many other places...although the social and political re-set that followed that war was truly earth-shaking and is still playing out. I don't think WWII is really ancient history. It hasn't been that long since WWII veterans were President of U.S. and leaders of other great nations.

gil

Let's avoid religious topics. Too much of a controversial subject for a radio forum.

Thank you.

Gil.

NCGunDude

Gil, I'll just point out the US Constitution provides for freedom of religion and speech.

It's a right, just as you have the right to censor, if you choose. If you want to avoid religious topics, again, your choice.

I didn't realize you were going to make that choice for everyone.