Yaesu VX-6R

Started by Geek, March 22, 2013, 08:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

QuoteDo you have a bunch of them or a few larger cases?  Do you have enough for everything?  You were on the Faraday cage thread, so do you simply drop your faraday caged items into a Pelican case or vice versa?

Hello,

I have one for my K1 and getting one for my KX3. I also have one small one I can use for smaller rigs, but it is used for something else right now.. I use them for transport. The Faraday boxes (cookie tin can) stay home. I might get Faraday bags for inside the cases.. So, not quite enough for everything yet, but getting there. I'll probably get a small one too for my Weber MTR. The small ones are quite affordable, however prices go up quickly for the bigger cases. The biggests one is my Pelican 1400 for the K1, but it also contains a battery and key.. The 1200 would have worked for the K1 I expect. For the KX3, I am getting the 1150, which is just big enough for a tiny key and microphone, but nothing else, which is all right since the KX3 has space inside it's case for batteries. My Yaesu FT-270R handheld, I won't bother with a case.. I probably won't even take it with me camping anyway. A small CW radio is enough for me.

Gil.

Geek

I have discovered one other feature of the VX-6R worth noting.  There is an available battery pack replacement that uses AA batteries.  This would make the problem of recharging in an emergency much easier to solve.  I've ordered one battery pack to test.

Looking at ads I don't see this as an available accessory for any of the cheap Chinese radios.  If anyone is aware of such a capability on one of the inexpensive Chinese models, please let me know.

madball13

Quote from: Geek on March 28, 2013, 09:26:37 AM
I have discovered one other feature of the VX-6R worth noting.  There is an available battery pack replacement that uses AA batteries.  This would make the problem of recharging in an emergency much easier to solve.  I've ordered one battery pack to test.

Looking at ads I don't see this as an available accessory for any of the cheap Chinese radios.  If anyone is aware of such a capability on one of the inexpensive Chinese models, please let me know.

Nice feature to have, keep in mind you will have reduced power capabilities with the AA. I would look for a 12V option that you can plug into the radio. I use an energizer back up battery that comes with a plug that will fit the VX-6. Like this:

http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/products/xp8000a/index.html

I also have a solar panel that feeds the XP800 and then to the radio.

Joe

Geek

The Wouxon line has the AA battery packs. I have a KG-UV6d, not a bad radio for the price I paid $100.00 for it and it came with the software and data cable.

Geek

Quote from: madball13 on March 28, 2013, 10:15:36 AM
Quote from: Geek on March 28, 2013, 09:26:37 AM

Nice feature to have, keep in mind you will have reduced power capabilities with the AA. I would look for a 12V option that you can plug into the radio. I use an energizer back up battery that comes with a plug that will fit the VX-6. Like this:

http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/products/xp8000a/index.html

I also have a solar panel that feeds the XP800 and then to the radio.

I agree that the 12volt will be handy, but I want the AA for a SHTF with a minimum of power generation capabilities.

gil

That's what I just decided to go for, AA rechargeable NiMH cells. I ordered a Goal Zero 7W solar panel with their four AA battery holder. This way I can recharge four AAs at a time, four or eight per day depending on conditions. My rigs use eight AAs, but they will last a few days when full. I can use AAs for flashlights and other devices as well. the Goal Zero battery holder also allows charging USB powered devices like my tiny powered speaker and iPod.
I was going to use LiPo batteries with a special charger, but the price is much higher. The other advantage of using rechargeable AAs is that if for some reason you can't charge them, you can always buy regular disposable batteries.
My 2.9Ah SLA battery is great, but a bit heavy (3.3Lbs) for hiking...

Gil.

Geek

Have you used the Goal Zero Charger?  Are you satisfied enough to recommend it?  Where did you buy it?

gil

I don't have it yet, just ordered it from Amazon... I will let you know though.

Gil.

White Tiger

Would like to know about this - I have been reading about the Goal Zero Solar charger and have become interested. Let me know what you think.
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

gil

I got the package.. Started a new thread: http://radiopreppers.com/index.php/topic,403.0.html

Gil.

Archangel320420

I have a VX7r. Love it.

gil

Looks like the VX-6R can easily be modified to transmit on 6m (1.5W) by removing a solder blob... Of course, you need a different antenna, but it makes it so much more desirable...

Gil.