My manpack portable tuner for my Yaesu FT-817

Started by Lamewolf, October 14, 2013, 12:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamewolf

I had an enclosure that is the same physical size of my Yaesu FT-817, so I figured it would be nice to have a matching manpack portable tuner to go with the 817.  So I dug around in my junkbox and came up with all the parts to build this little Tmatch tuner that has a socket on the front panel to attach a whip antenna.  So far it will tune a 6' telescopic whip on 10 thru 40 meters and with the addition of a base loading coil it will also tune the whip on 60 & 80 meters.  The tuner will also tune coax fed antennas, endfed wires, and with the addition of a small outboard 4:1 balun, it will also tune antennas fed with balanced feedline.  I have had it on the air from my house on my 40 meter extended double zepp and the tuner matches it 10 thru 80 meters, and yesterday I had it out in the back yard on the 6' whip and worked Italy on 17 meters with it and I'm in Ohio !  Only got a 3x9 signal report, but the operator in Italy did hear me ! :)

KK0G

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G