Elecraft KX1 ATU and Paddle Kits

Started by KK0G, May 16, 2013, 10:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK0G

I cashed in some overtime for some extra hobby money and ordered the auto tuner kit and the integrated paddle kit for my KX1. I wanted to get the 80/30 meter module also but instead directed those funds to a water filter, that one will have to wait a while longer. These two additions should make my trail operating even quicker, simpler and easier than it already is by eliminating two separate pieces of gear. It also prevents me from getting all the way out to the middle of nowhere only to realize I left them at home. I'll try to remember to take photos during the build process, my problem is I get so focused on building that I forget all about photos.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RadioRay

Good call.  These are useful items.  That ATU works VERY well!  Also, the more thin wires, connectors and externally connected necessities, the higher will be the system mortality index  (har har). As you know - in the woods, simpler is usually more survivable. Add wire binding posts to the KX-1 so that you can connect wire directly to the antenna , just in case you do not have a working BNC and/or adapter.  /Voice of experience here. BNC connectors are easily jammed into the nooks and crannies in a vibram sole of a boot then torn OFF of the end of RG-174 coax.  moo-ha-ha-ha!/     :o  I ALWAYS added wire terminals of SOME kind on my wilderness radios after that little incident!

>de RadioRay ..._ ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

Quote from: RadioRay on May 16, 2013, 10:50:18 PM
Good call.  These are useful items.  That ATU works VERY well!  Also, the more thin wires, connectors and externally connected necessities, the higher will be the system mortality index  (har har). As you know - in the woods, simpler is usually more survivable. Add wire binding posts to the KX-1 so that you can connect wire directly to the antenna , just in case you do not have a working BNC and/or adapter.  /Voice of experience here. BNC connectors are easily jammed into the nooks and crannies in a vibram sole of a boot then torn OFF of the end of RG-174 coax.  moo-ha-ha-ha!/     :o  I ALWAYS added wire terminals of SOME kind on my wilderness radios after that little incident!

>de RadioRay ..._ ._

Good point Ray, thanks for the tip. Smart people learn from their mistakes, really smart people learn from other peoples mistakes  ;D I just happen to have a couple of binding posts in my junk box too.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC9TNH

I'll be interested to see how the ATU performs. Not familiar with that circuit but if it performs anything like their little T1 tuner you will be in hog-heaven. That thing would make a mop bucket look like 50 ohms. And agree with you both on binding posts of some kind.  'Course you're integrating it so you can do whatever you want. :)

For a couple antennas that are pre-configured & kept in ziplocs, one of these is in the bag with it, on the "don't leave home without it" list:

KK0G

Quote from: KC9TNH on May 17, 2013, 07:45:02 AM
I'll be interested to see how the ATU performs. Not familiar with that circuit but if it performs anything like their little T1 tuner you will be in hog-heaven. That thing would make a mop bucket look like 50 ohms. And agree with you both on binding posts of some kind.  'Course you're integrating it so you can do whatever you want. :)

For a couple antennas that are pre-configured & kept in ziplocs, one of these is in the bag with it, on the "don't leave home without it" list:

According to Elecraft it doesn't have near the tuning range that the T1 does due to the obvious need for compactness in order to fit inside the KX1, but it is supposed to be optimized for tuning a 24' end fed wire on 40-20 meter which is exactly what I'm wanting. They recommend a resonant antenna for use on 80 meter.

That BNC - binding post adapter is exactly what Elecraft sells for use with the KX1/ATU combination.

KK0G

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on May 17, 2013, 10:37:10 AMThat BNC - binding post adapter is exactly what Elecraft sells for use with the KX1/ATU combination.
Nice they do that. Their price for that particular item is alot less than DigiKey or Mouser; always a growling moment when ordering some little item and then seemingly "buying it again" with simple shipping charges. Good deal. You're gonna like that on-board tuning.

Now would you please clear up the weather systems so we can move straight to summer?  8)

RadioRay

The tuner -v- 80 m antennas...

I can confirm the for 40, 30 & 20m the ATU works quite well.  For 80m, it's more of a 'line flattener' because your antenna needs to be pretty close for it to operate.  I had not realized that when I first built mine and thought that I have screwed-up the ATU.  However, on a close to 50 Ohm 80m antenna, it works just fine.

> de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

ATU and paddle kits arrived today. Here's a photo of the first stage of building - taking a photo of the kits  8)

KK0G

KK0G

Done with the easy one, that took all of 30 minutes. Now onto the ATU.

KK0G

KK0G

Done with the easy one, that took all of 30 minutes. Now onto the ATU.

KK0G

RadioRay

As lady friends of mine often say:

"Accessories MAKE the outfit" 
Elecraft are superb engineers, who have that unique niche' device electronics savy AND boots-on-the-ground knowledge of HF CW-centric, outdoor/adventure transceivers. That KX-1 is a real gem: SUPER light weight, sips very lightly of electrons while supporting an excellent receiver.

As you know from field opns:

Equipment survivability  =   1/CLUTTER

Meaning that any accessories not inside of the rig enclosure or bolted to the outside has a MUCH higher than necessary mortality rate.  Otherwise you're expending connectors, cables and etc. at a rate rivaling the consumption of 30.06 ammunition during the beachhead operations at Normandy.     :o

>Ray

KK0G

Quote from: RadioRay on May 20, 2013, 10:04:15 PM
As lady friends of mine often say:

[move]"Accessories MAKE the outfit"  [/move]

Elecraft are superb engineers, who have that unique niche' device electronics savy AND boots-on-the-ground knowledge of HF CW-centric, outdoor/adventure transceivers. That KX-1 is a real gem: SUPER light weight, sips very lightly of electrons while supporting an excellent receiver.

As you know from field opns:

Equipment survivability  =   1/CLUTTER

Meaning that any accessories not inside of the rig enclosure or bolted to the outside has a MUCH higher than necessary mortality rate.  Otherwise you're expending connectors, cables and etc. at a rate rivaling the consumption of 30.06 ammunition during the beachhead operations at Normandy.     :o

>Ray

+1! LOL 8)

KK0G

KK0G

The ATU kit is moving right along although I just reached the toroid stage so that'll slow me down a little. I still don't see what all the fuss is about over winding toroids, if you can count 1.....2......3......4..... you can wind a toroid, they're dirt simple. ;D

KK0G

gil

QuoteI still don't see what all the fuss is about over winding toroids, if you can count 1.....2......3......4..... you can wind a toroid, they're dirt simple.

I never understood the stress some people seem to experience when talking about winding toroids either. For me, it seems super-easy and actually relaxing... Weird...

Gil.

KK0G

Toroids all wound and one left to install, on the home stretch now.

KK0G